Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
This is probably sort of a weird one...

I have always loved the design of the classic Mac Pro and have wanted one for a while because of that. I'm an industrial design geek and just love how the Mac Pro looks and is constructed.

So, I'm considering buying one. I don't have a specific use case in mind right now, but I was thinking that I'd like to get one that was at least somewhat upgradeable in the future if I end up having a use case for it. Because of this (and based on my very limited knowledge) I was considering a 4,1 or a 5,1 based on some posts that I've read.

I could see myself in the future wanting to use it as a regular desktop Mac, or perhaps play a few games on it. Wifi is important and bluetooth would be helpful.

So my question is this: considering that I don't care *that* much about performance at this time, what version would you recommend that I get? Cost is an object, and I want to spend the least amount I can while affording myself the ability to customize and upgrade if need be in the future. Prices seem to be all over the place.

Part of me thinks I should just find a 1,1 - 3,1 that is in great shape for cheap and go with that. That satisfies the design part of me, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that useful, which is why I was thinking about a 4,1 or 5,1.

Help! :)

Reactions: aaronhead14

bjar

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx

I have always loved the design of the classic Mac Pro and have wanted one for a while because of that. I'm an industrial design geek and just love how the Mac Pro looks and is constructed.

So, I'm considering buying one. I don't have a specific use case in mind right now, but I was thinking that I'd like to get one that was at least somewhat upgradeable in the future if I end up having a use case for it. Because of this (and based on my very limited knowledge) I was considering a 4,1 or a 5,1 based on some posts that I've read.

I could see myself in the future wanting to use it as a regular desktop Mac, or perhaps play a few games on it. Wifi is important and bluetooth would be helpful.

So my question is this: considering that I don't care *that* much about performance at this time, what version would you recommend that I get? Cost is an object, and I want to spend the least amount I can while affording myself the ability to customize and upgrade if need be in the future. Prices seem to be all over the place.

Part of me thinks I should just find a 1,1 - 3,1 that is in great shape for cheap and go with that. That satisfies the design part of me, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that useful, which is why I was thinking about a 4,1 or 5,1.

I had a 3,1 that I loved. Put the right graphics card in and it is pretty good for games that aren’t processor intensive. Though, I gave that to my cousin and upgraded to a 5,1. Which I love even more. It is really about how much money you want to spend and if you want to easily stay on the latest OSX release. Although I am not sure how much longer the 5,1 will be supported. Mojave may be the last. But there will probably be ways around that, as I’m pretty sure you can install mojave on a 3,1 even though it isn’t supported.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

The most optimistic assessment of the Classic Mac Pro is that it's "on life support". The "4.1 -> 5.1" and "5.1" might be supported by the next Apple OSX release, but no guarantees. When the rumoured MP7,1 (the modular Mac Pro) ships, it's quite likely that the MP5.1 will be dropped.

The cheese grater has no future. Buy one if you want a display object, but if you want a computer to use for the next few years don't get a cMP.

Reactions: pl1984 and kohlson

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The OS apple just released two months ago does support the 5,1 (and 4,1 with the firmware updated). Apple will support Mojave "for the next few years" at least even if the next OS drops them.

I have a 4,1 -> 5,1 with upgraded cpu's, memory, gpu, etc. If you would have asked me 10 years ago when I bought it if I would have it this long, I would have laughed, but I love it. If NVidia's RTX drivers come out, I will be getting an RTX2070 which will restore boot screens. If the 7,1 comes out and its not a huge disappointment, I will get that and add the RTX to the machine anyways and run it as my Windows/Linux box. I imagine it will last me a few more years at least.

If you find one for the right price, I'd say buy it.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm an industrial design geek and just love how the Mac Pro looks and is constructed.
Perhaps you should also consider pulling the ancient Mac Pro motherboard out of the cheese grater and installing a modern mobo (hackintosh compatible if Apple OSX is important).

Reactions: bjar

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I had a 3,1 that I loved. Put the right graphics card in and it is pretty good for games that aren’t processor intensive. Though, I gave that to my cousin and upgraded to a 5,1. Which I love even more. It is really about how much money you want to spend and if you want to easily stay on the latest OSX release. Although I am not sure how much longer the 5,1 will be supported. Mojave may be the last. But there will probably be ways around that, as I’m pretty sure you can install mojave on a 3,1 even though it isn’t supported.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about the latest OS releases, so Mojave would be fine if that was the last one. Glad to hear you liked the 3,1. Would you say that it would be an okay runner even today?

The most optimistic assessment of the Classic Mac Pro is that it's "on life support". The "4.1 -> 5.1" and "5.1" might be supported by the next Apple OSX release, but no guarantees. When the rumoured MP7,1 (the modular Mac Pro) ships, it's quite likely that the MP5.1 will be dropped.

The cheese grater has no future. Buy one if you want a display object, but if you want a computer to use for the next few years don't get a cMP.

I'm not worried about that. As I said, I'm more interested in it for design reasons as opposed to functionality. I just want something that will be somewhat useable in the coming couple years. I'm not worried about getting the latest OS updates.

The OS apple just released two months ago does support the 5,1 (and 4,1 with the firmware updated). Apple will support Mojave "for the next few years" at least even if the next OS drops them.

I have a 4,1 -> 5,1 with upgraded cpu's, memory, gpu, etc. If you would have asked me 10 years ago when I bought it if I would have it this long, I would have laughed, but I love it. If NVidia's RTX drivers come out, I will be getting an RTX2070 which will restore boot screens. If the 7,1 comes out and its not a huge disappointment, I will get that and add the RTX to the machine anyways and run it as my Windows/Linux box. I imagine it will last me a few more years at least.

If you find one for the right price, I'd say buy it.

Good to know. The 4,1 and 5,1 cMP seem quite upgradeable even still, but the info I gather from the forums is that the 3,1 and earlier are not.

Perhaps you should also consider pulling the ancient Mac Pro motherboard out of the cheese grater and installing a modern mobo (hackintosh compatible if Apple OSX is important).

I've thought about that! Not sure how hard that is to do, but when I was investigating that a few years ago it seemed difficult. I'd definitely be interested in a hackintosh. Would any Mac Pro case work for this or are there major differences between the 1,1 and the 5,1 range?

I guess the overarching question is, should I wait for a 4,1 or 5,1 that is a good deal to come up? Or for my needs, should I pay less for a 3,1 or below?

Last edited:

bjar

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
Thanks! I'm not too worried about the latest OS releases, so Mojave would be fine if that was the last one. Glad to hear you liked the 3,1. Would you say that it would be an okay runner even today?

I'm not worried about that. As I said, I'm more interested in it for design reasons as opposed to functionality. I just want something that will be somewhat useable in the coming couple years. I'm not worried about getting the latest OS updates.

Good to know. The 4,1 and 5,1 cMP seem quite upgradeable even still, but the info I gather from the forums is that the 3,1 and earlier are not.

I've thought about that! Not sure how hard that is to do, but when I was investigating that a few years ago it seemed difficult. I'd definitely be interested in a hackintosh. Would any Mac Pro case work for this or are there major differences between the 1,1 and the 5,1 range?
Yes my opinion is that the 3,1 is still quite capable. My cousin is using it for Logic Pro X and is running better than his 2015 Mac book pro. Put a decent graphics card in it and max out the processor with 2 3.2ghz (I think that is the max, see the processor sticky thread for more info) quad cores. It is not as powerful as a 4,1 or 5,1 but sounds like it would be ok for what you want to do.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
No one can answer whether it will be useable because no one, not even you, knows what use case you will have for it at that time. Realize the technology the 4,1 and 5,1 are built upon is already 10 years old. As time marches on it becomes less and less useable.

I have a couple of PowerMac G5 systems which are useable if I use period specific software. But they only see occasional use and only for nostalgia reasons. I don't use them for any day to day tasks. Sadly the cMP will reach such a point as well.

If you're interested in them from a design point of view then I would recommend buying the least expensive one you can find (since you said money was a consideration). In all likelihood this means a 1,1 which is really old and has been unsupported by OS X with the release of Mountain Lion back in 2012. They're great systems (I have one) but I would only recommend one with a specific use case in mind (such as admiration of its industrial design).

I guess the overarching question is, should I wait for a 4,1 or 5,1 that is a good deal to come up? Or for my needs, should I pay less for a 3,1 or below?
Depends on what you value more: Industrial design at the lowest cost or industrial design with some remaining functionality. The original 1,1 Mac Pro can be picked up for little money. The 4,1 and 5,1 command considerably more money. But they're worth the extra money if functionality is important. One can find decent deals on them which shrink the difference between then earlier versions (1,1, 2,1, and 3,1). If you really want to buy a cMP for some unspecified future use then a 4,1 or, better yet, a genuine 5,1 is the best purchase.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Yes my opinion is that the 3,1 is still quite capable. My cousin is using it for Logic Pro X and is running better than his 2015 Mac book pro. Put a decent graphics card in it and max out the processor with 2 3.2ghz (I think that is the max, see the processor sticky thread for more info) quad cores. It is not as powerful as a 4,1 or 5,1 but sounds like it would be ok for what you want to do.

Good to know, thanks!

No one can answer whether it will be useable because no one, not even you, knows what use case you will have for it at that time. Realize the technology the 4,1 and 5,1 are built upon is already 10 years old. As time marches on it becomes less and less useable.

I have a couple of PowerMac G5 systems which are useable if I use period specific software. But they only see occasional use and only for nostalgia reasons. I don't use them for any day to day tasks. Sadly the cMP will reach such a point as well.

If you're interested in them from a design point of view then I would recommend buying the least expensive one you can find (since you said money was a consideration). In all likelihood this means a 1,1 which is really old and has been unsupported by OS X with the release of Mountain Lion back in 2012. They're great systems (I have one) but I would only recommend one with a specific use case in mind (such as admiration of its industrial design).

Depends on what you value more: Industrial design at the lowest cost or industrial design with some remaining functionality. The original 1,1 Mac Pro can be picked up for little money. The 4,1 and 5,1 command considerably more money. But they're worth the extra money if functionality is important. One can find decent deals on them which shrink the difference between then earlier versions (1,1, 2,1, and 3,1). If you really want to buy a cMP for some unspecified future use then a 4,1 or, better yet, a genuine 5,1 is the best purchase.

That is very helpful, thanks!

Both inside and out the G5 Quad is the prettiest tower

I hadn't even considered a Powermac. I'll have to look them up and see what the differences are!

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I purchased my 5,1 the day it was introduced in August 2010. I have since upgraded the processors, RAM, HDD, SSD (via PCIe then NVMe) , GPU and optical drives.

It cost me $3500 at the time, and configuring a similar system to my current config at OWC now would cost more than that. Of course, that includes all the $ I put in upgrades over the years (I should total it out of curiosity), but it's been a worthwhile investment. I use it daily and plan to continue for years to come.

As pl1984 explains, the newer models will give you more longevity but cost more. It all depends on your priorities.

Building a hackintosh is relatively easy these days (follow the Insanelymac/MacBidouille method and stay away from UniBeast/MultiBeast). But putting it in an old G5 or PowerMac tower requires a lot of machining, as none of the components will line up with the case's mounting points.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Personally I would get a 2009 model at least. Get the lowest spec one you can find. I would prioritize on (1) it's appearance and condition (2) it powers on and is working.

Maybe you can decide if you want single or dual processor.

If you get the 2009 model you'll want to flash it from MacPro4,1 to MacPro5,1 so Mojave can be installed.

Don't get an already upgraded machine since likely it'll be expensive, unless you're getting a great deal. My computer came with dual 2.66GHz quad core processors that I upgrade to dual 3.46GHz hexacore processors for about $100. It really increased the speed. I put in a RX580 GPU that I already had, otherwise that's about $200.

Unfortunately it won't get faster than that compared to the top end Mac desktops of today, but for an eight-nine year old Mac it is very fast compared to even my latest purpose-built gaming desktop.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Where are you located, weezin?
I have a 3,1, that I want to sell.

I think I'm going to hold out for a 4,1 , but thanks!

I purchased my 5,1 the day it was introduced in August 2010. I have since upgraded the processors, RAM, HDD, SSD (via PCIe then NVMe) , GPU and optical drives.

It cost me $3500 at the time, and configuring a similar system to my current config at OWC now would cost more than that. Of course, that includes all the $ I put in upgrades over the years (I should total it out of curiosity), but it's been a worthwhile investment. I use it daily and plan to continue for years to come.

As pl1984 explains, the newer models will give you more longevity but cost more. It all depends on your priorities.

Building a hackintosh is relatively easy these days (follow the Insanelymac/MacBidouille method and stay away from UniBeast/MultiBeast). But putting it in an old G5 or PowerMac tower requires a lot of machining, as none of the components will line up with the case's mounting points.

Good advice, thanks! I've thought about a hackintosh, but as I said, I don't really need a computer, I want one :) So a 4,1 makes sense for my needs.

Personally I would get a 2009 model at least. Get the lowest spec one you can find. I would prioritize on (1) it's appearance and condition (2) it powers on and is working.

Maybe you can decide if you want single or dual processor.

If you get the 2009 model you'll want to flash it from MacPro4,1 to MacPro5,1 so Mojave can be installed.

Don't get an already upgraded machine since likely it'll be expensive, unless you're getting a great deal. My computer came with dual 2.66GHz quad core processors that I upgrade to dual 3.46GHz hexacore processors for about $100. It really increased the speed. I put in a RX580 GPU that I already had, otherwise that's about $200.

Unfortunately it won't get faster than that compared to the top end Mac desktops of today, but for an eight-nine year old Mac it is very fast compared to even my latest purpose-built gaming desktop.

Thats good to know and I think I'm going to wait for a 4,1 at the right price.

What should I expect to pay for a "base" 4,1 in good shape? Can I upgrade to a dual processor later if I start with a single processor (I've heard that I can't)? I found a "base" single processor 4,1 in good shape for ~$280 + $30 shipping. That seems somewhat reasonable based on what I've seen, but I'm not sure. Any idea?

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
What should I expect to pay for a "base" 4,1 in good shape? Can I upgrade to a dual processor later if I start with a single processor (I've heard that I can't)? I found a "base" single processor 4,1 in good shape for ~$280 + $30 shipping. That seems somewhat reasonable based on what I've seen, but I'm not sure. Any idea?
$280 is a good price for a base 4,1. It's not great but great prices are, relatively speaking, few and far between. Regarding shipping make sure the seller properly packages the unit as the "feet" and "handles" are very easily damaged in shipping. If they have the original packing that's great, if not they need to properly package it. That means plenty of packing to protect those feet. I cannot stress this enough.

Regarding upgrading...the CPU in the single processor 4,1 is very easy to upgrade. If you want to change it to a dual processor configuration you'll need to purchase a dual CPU tray. Check pricing to get an idea of what they cost. Sometimes it's less expensive to purchase a dual CPU system than a single CPU and upgrade it to dual CPU. If you check Ebay ensure you're looking at listings for a tray and not an upgrade service. Make sure you look at trays for the 4,1 and not the 5,1 (in your favor 4,1 trays tend to cost less). While the 5,1 tray will install and function the fans will run at full speed all the time. The take away here is don't buy a 5,1 tray for a 4,1 system (or vice versa).

If you eventually end up with a dual CPU system (either through upgrade or initial purchase) be aware upgrading the dual processor 4,1 system is more difficult than the single CPU 4,1 system (or any version of the 5,1 system). There is a lot of discussions to be found on this forum if you want to know the details so I won't repeat them here.

Did I mention to have the seller guarantee they'll pack the system extremely well and offer a money back guarantee if the system is damaged. Yes, it really is that important to have it packaged extremely well.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thats good to know and I think I'm going to wait for a 4,1 at the right price.

You certainly can as other members have mentioned. However if you plan to do this in the future, perhaps it's better to get one with a dual processor from the get-go. Just FYI it is not advised run the dual processor with just one processor or you'll have problem of the fans running at full speed.

Upgrading a single processor Mac Pro is basically drop it in the socket and go. Upgrading a dual processor Mac Pro requires more work, either you need to delid them or you need to use washers (I prefer the former). There are tons of information on these forums regarding upgrades.

For pricing, I'm afraid I do not know much since I've had the computer since it was released.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
$280 is a good price for a base 4,1. It's not great but great prices are, relatively speaking, few and far between. Regarding shipping make sure the seller properly packages the unit as the "feet" and "handles" are very easily damaged in shipping. If they have the original packing that's great, if not they need to properly package it. That means plenty of packing to protect those feet. I cannot stress this enough.

Regarding upgrading...the CPU in the single processor 4,1 is very easy to upgrade. If you want to change it to a dual processor configuration you'll need to purchase a dual CPU tray. Check pricing to get an idea of what they cost. Sometimes it's less expensive to purchase a dual CPU system than a single CPU and upgrade it to dual CPU. If you check Ebay ensure you're looking at listings for a tray and not an upgrade service. Make sure you look at trays for the 4,1 and not the 5,1 (in your favor 4,1 trays tend to cost less). While the 5,1 tray will install and function the fans will run at full speed all the time. The take away here is don't buy a 5,1 tray for a 4,1 system (or vice versa).

If you eventually end up with a dual CPU system (either through upgrade or initial purchase) be aware upgrading the dual processor 4,1 system is more difficult than the single CPU 4,1 system (or any version of the 5,1 system). There is a lot of discussions to be found on this forum if you want to know the details so I won't repeat them here.

Did I mention to have the seller guarantee they'll pack the system extremely well and offer a money back guarantee if the system is damaged. Yes, it really is that important to have it packaged extremely well.

Noted on the shipping! :) So upgrading the single processor is easier than the dual processor? I can see myself using this Mac Pro for two things - as an everyday computer and to do a little bit of gaming under bootcamp. For gaming, would a dual processor benefit me much?

You certainly can as other members have mentioned. However if you plan to do this in the future, perhaps it's better to get one with a dual processor from the get-go. Just FYI it is not advised run the dual processor with just one processor or you'll have problem of the fans running at full speed.

Upgrading a single processor Mac Pro is basically drop it in the socket and go. Upgrading a dual processor Mac Pro requires more work, either you need to delid them or you need to use washers (I prefer the former). There are tons of information on these forums regarding upgrades.

For pricing, I'm afraid I do not know much since I've had the computer since it was released.

Thanks. In general, if using the computer as a day to day machine and for some light gaming, what is preferable? Single or dual processor?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks. In general, if using the computer as a day to day machine and for some light gaming, what is preferable? Single or dual processor?

There aren't that many tasks that can take advantage of 12 cores. I do mostly photography stuff and honestly single core performance is probably more important many cores to me. Only when I do some video stuff does the parallel processing make sense.

For day to day a single quad core or upgraded to a hexa core proccessor is plenty of power. In my opinion, focus more upgrade money on graphic cards and maybe a PCIe storage option in the beginning, if you want to just use it day to day and some light gaming.

worldvga

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2018
Florida
when you buying the new one 5,1 is the best as in a long run you dont have to think to buy a next version.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Noted on the shipping! :) So upgrading the single processor is easier than the dual processor? I can see myself using this Mac Pro for two things - as an everyday computer and to do a little bit of gaming under bootcamp. For gaming, would a dual processor benefit me much?
The single processor 4,1 is very easy to upgrade. The dual processor 4,1 requires a different, less common CPU (as it lacks the heat spreader which is common on 99% of processors that will work with this system). You can use those 99% CPUs but, as already mentioned, you either need to remove the heat spreader (i.e. delid it) or use washers to raise the heat sinks slightly to avoid excessive pressure on the socket pins (which can result in bending them and ruining the tray). Neither option is overly difficult but it's not the simple drop in replacement that the single processor 4,1 permits.

It sounds as if a dual CPU system will be of little benefit to you. Everyday computer use should be fine for the tasks you've described. As already mentioned save the money on CPU power for a more capable GPU. Here are some recommendations on processor upgrades:
  • X5677 - Quad core 3.46GHz processor, fastest single core performance you can get for the 4,1 and 5,1. These can be picked up on Ebay for ~$20.00.
  • X5680 - Hexa core 3.33GHz processor. Best value in single core performance and core count. These can be picked up on Ebay for ~$40.00.
  • X5690 - Hexa core 3.46GHz processor, single core performance that matches the X5677 but with the addition of two additional cores. This is the top of the line processor you can get for the 4,1 and 5,1. However they are, relatively speaking, pricey as a result. They can be picked up on Ebay for ~$100.00.
IMO for low core count applications the X5677 cannot be beat for the price. For the maximum core count the X5680 is hard to beat. It offers 3.7% less performance than the X5690 but at a cost which is 60% lower. All three of these are drop in replacements for the single CPU 4,1 but would require delidding / washers if used in a dual CPU 4,1.

EDIT: I just purchased the X5677 for my 5,1 Mac Pro. At $15.00 plus free shipping it was too good a value to pass up.

Last edited:

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
Would like to share my experience of buying the cMP 5,1 about 3 weeks ago.
Mine is 5,1 2010, 2xE5620
I prefer the dual processor mostly due to the extra number of RAM slot :)
Also prefer the 5,1 as the CPU do not require delid hence will be less hassle when upgrading.

Upgrade:
- RAM to 56 GB (RDIMM) ~ 100 USD
- GTX 680 4GB (Palit JetStream) got it for ~50USD
- WD Blue 500 SSD ~75 USD

Current spec is in my signature.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
There aren't that many tasks that can take advantage of 12 cores. I do mostly photography stuff and honestly single core performance is probably more important many cores to me. Only when I do some video stuff does the parallel processing make sense.

For day to day a single quad core or upgraded to a hexa core proccessor is plenty of power. In my opinion, focus more upgrade money on graphic cards and maybe a PCIe storage option in the beginning, if you want to just use it day to day and some light gaming.

Thanks!

when you buying the new one 5,1 is the best as in a long run you dont have to think to buy a next version.

5,1s seem quite a bit more expensive than 4,1s and as far as I've read, they're the same (once the 4,1 is flashed anyway).

The single processor 4,1 is very easy to upgrade. The dual processor 4,1 requires a different, less common CPU (as it lacks the heat spreader which is common on 99% of processors that will work with this system). You can use those 99% CPUs but, as already mentioned, you either need to remove the heat spreader (i.e. delid it) or use washers to raise the heat sinks slightly to avoid excessive pressure on the socket pins (which can result in bending them and ruining the tray). Neither option is overly difficult but it's not the simple drop in replacement that the single processor 4,1 permits.

It sounds as if a dual CPU system will be of little benefit to you. Everyday computer use should be fine for the tasks you've described. As already mentioned save the money on CPU power for a more capable GPU. Here are some recommendations on processor upgrades:
  • X5677 - Quad core 3.46GHz processor, fastest single core performance you can get for the 4,1 and 5,1. These can be picked up on Ebay for ~$20.00.
  • X5680 - Hexa core 3.33GHz processor. Best value in single core performance and core count. These can be picked up on Ebay for ~$40.00.
  • X5690 - Hexa core 3.46GHz processor, single core performance that matches the X5677 but with the addition of two additional cores. This is the top of the line processor you can get for the 4,1 and 5,1. However they are, relatively speaking, pricey as a result. They can be picked up on Ebay for ~$100.00.
IMO for low core count applications the X5677 cannot be beat for the price. For the maximum core count the X5680 is hard to beat. It offers 3.7% less performance than the X5690 but at a cost which is 60% lower. All three of these are drop in replacements for the single CPU 4,1 but would require delidding / washers if used in a dual CPU 4,1.

EDIT: I just purchased the X5677 for my 5,1 Mac Pro. At $15.00 plus free shipping it was too good a value to pass up.

SUPER helpful, thanks! I think I would plan on upgrading to the X5677 as you recommended. 4,1 single seems to be the way to go for me.

Would like to share my experience of buying the cMP 5,1 about 3 weeks ago.
Mine is 5,1 2010, 2xE5620
I prefer the dual processor mostly due to the extra number of RAM slot :)
Also prefer the 5,1 as the CPU do not require delid hence will be less hassle when upgrading.

Upgrade:
- RAM to 56 GB (RDIMM) ~ 100 USD
- GTX 680 4GB (Palit JetStream) got it for ~50USD
- WD Blue 500 SSD ~75 USD

Current spec is in my signature.

Good to know, thank you! I'd love a 5,1, but I think they are beyond what I want to spend unfortunately.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
5,1s seem quite a bit more expensive than 4,1s and as far as I've read, they're the same (once the 4,1 is flashed anyway).
They are. I suspect because they had better standard video (Radeon HD5770 versus GT120 in the 4,1) and standard wireless (which was optional in the 4,1). Thus, stock versus stock, the 5,1 has more value to it. In addition it may be because they're also now the only cMP that is officially supported by Apple.

SUPER helpful, thanks! I think I would plan on upgrading to the X5677 as you recommended. 4,1 single seems to be the way to go for me.
Are you still considering the 4,1 you previously mentioned? If so what is its configuration?

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
They are. I suspect because they had better standard video (Radeon HD5770 versus GT120 in the 4,1) and standard wireless (which was optional in the 4,1). Thus, stock versus stock, the 5,1 has more value to it. In addition it may be because they're also now the only cMP that is officially supported by Apple.

That makes sense. Perhaps not worth the upcharge due to the fact that I can flash the 4,1 - 5,1.

Are you still considering the 4,1 you previously mentioned? If so what is its configuration?

I am. Apparently that machine is not in the best condition cosmetically (they rated it an 8) and I am looking for something that's a 9+. I may still go with it, but they are apparently getting a few more that might be in better shape.

I also stopped by my local (well-regarded) Mac resale / repair place last night. They have a bunch of 4,1s (and other 1,1 - 5,1s). They inspect, refurbish and provide a warranty with their machines. They quoted me $400 for a base 4,1 in good condition. That's a bit more than I want to spend ideally, but am lightly considering it given the fact that it comes with a guarantee and has been reviewed by people that know what they're doing. Still, it feels a little too expensive for what it is.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I also stopped by my local (well-regarded) Mac resale / repair place last night. They have a bunch of 4,1s (and other 1,1 - 5,1s). They inspect, refurbish and provide a warranty with their machines. They quoted me $400 for a base 4,1 in good condition. That's a bit more than I want to spend ideally, but am lightly considering it given the fact that it comes with a guarantee and has been reviewed by people that know what they're doing. Still, it feels a little too expensive for what it is.

Well, you can always just spend the time to search for a cheaper one on ebay etc., pray it runs, looks as good as prescribed and isn't severly damaged in shipping due to poor packacking .
Saves you maybe 100 bucks, if that .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.