Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
classix.png

After a lot of frustration trying to run Mac OS 9 natively on my powerbook, I decided that the most viable way to run my classic games would be through the classic environment of Mac OS X 10.4. But for everything to work satisfactorily, it would take a huge effort to research and modify the system, and in my opinion, that would only be worth my time, if it were to help the community of PPC lovers, so I did it.

Mac OS X 10.4.11

When it comes to classic environment, we all know that Tiger is not the best choice, he suffers from performance problems in classic, Apple seemed to be trying to kill classic once and for all, to force developers to migrate to OS X. So, why did I choose this version? Simple! My goal is to make the most recent PPC machines run satisfactorily on mac OS 9, many machines from the year 2005 do not support another version of the older mac os X.

So what good has all this effort been done to modify the system, if Tiger is not good with classic?
- Simple! Because I ported the Classic from Panther (10.3) to Tiger! With that, we have a performance of 30 to 60% better than in the original classic of the system!

In addition, I optimized the entire system so that the center of attention is our beloved Mac OS 9. This means that I removed some things from OS X that were not important, so that the system runs better and faster, BUT ... you you will still have the best of both worlds! Things that were not possible in Mac OS 9, can now be useful! How about a Mac OS 9 with native support for your airport card, WPA? Or support for screen brightness, fan speed control, remote control, bluetooth, java, and even our beloved TenFourFox, already configured to have the best possible performance (believe me, it is incredibly fast in this build).

You may be asking yourself now: But that sucks an OSX Tiger with a classic, any mac does it! - Not quite. I built this system, so that it was a secondary system in a bi-partitioned HD. It is the reincarnation of Mac OS 9, the several hours I spent on this system, it was improving the performance and compatibility with OS9, in addition, 90% of the graphical interface is with the Plantium visual and also acts / responds like it, for you if feel at home, as in OS9. It is basically a Mac OS 9 running under the Mac OS X platform, which serves as a basis for mediating between legacy and unsupported "modern" hardware. Classic may not be exactly the same as OS9, but on an unsupported g4 or g5, it's either it or nothing.

- I would like to customize the boot screen to insert the image at the beginning of the post, unfortunately the apps available to change the image of the boot screen do not resize the image, they just change. I plan on replacing the current boot screen with the happy mac image on the gray screen. Suggestions?

- I combed through all the OSX documentation and found nothing about it: As soon as the boot screen ends, the system starts the graphical interface (a blue background) then a window written Starting Mac OS X ... appears. I would like to change the BLUE COLOR in the background, but I haven't found anything about it.

I placed a trash can on the work area provisionally. It is not the best choice, it does not work as well as I expected. I tried the tip to create a shortcut to ./Trash, but the problem is that it will only work for the drive where the trash is, and the icon does not change to empty trash / Trash full.

- Unfortunately Dock is necessary for the desktop to work. I'm still looking for a solution to hide it forever.

- My initial idea was to modify classic.app so that it would run in full screen. There is even a tip out there about changing something in the mac os 9 finder, so that the OS9 finder can be seen, but still, somehow, classic does not allow you to see the desktop, and this was the great flaw that made me change my mind, so I decided to modify the entire OSX.I tried to run MacOS.app from Mac OS X DP2 and 3, because it allows you to run classic in full screen, but unfortunately it doesn't work outside the original system. Searching the classic Panther code, I found entries for a button called Show Mac OS 9 desktop, but it seems to have been disabled during compilation.

-A strange bug happens when I try to run Doom 1 from 1996 on any version of classic: The game runs by skipping frames, but in a certain region of the screen, the game runs perfectly at a high frame rate (as it should be). I will only be able to play it if I change the screen resolution to as low as 800x600.

Picture 1.png

Picture 1x.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 11.png

Picture a2.png

Despite all the hard work, the system is not yet ready, I will continue the development after voluntary testers report tips, opinions, problems, etc...

Download links:

- MEGA
- Macintosh Garden

How to use:

Dual boot:

First of all you need to partition your HD (if you want to keep your current system + classix), I will not go into details on how to do this so as not to create a giant topic. Then use the disk drive to write the dmg to the new partition. When the process is over, you can select the system by system preferences / startup disk, or hold the Option screen on the keyboard when starting your mac.

Classix only:

Copy classix.dmg to a pendrive, Start your mac with the Mac OS X 10.4 cd, select disk drive, open the dmg on the pendrive, and restore to your hard drive.

Note: The first boot can take a little time. Within the system, a defragmenter is included, it is recommended that you repair the permissions, and defragment the system before you start using it.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
So what good has all this effort been done to modify the system, if Tiger is not good with classic?
- Simple! Because I ported the Classic from Panther (10.3) to Tiger!

You might consider releasing this as a standalone if at all possible! I suspect a lot of people would be interested in having it on more vanilla Tiger systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
The new upload works, and consider me impressed with the theming. Of course, I did run it on a Mac that does support OS 9, but I feel my MDD is a good test environment for these sorts of things. Considering the amount of customization you're going for,
- Simple! Because I ported the Classic from Panther (10.3) to Tiger! With that, we have a performance of 30 to 60% better than in the original classic of the system!
What I am curious is why you didn't go for the version in 10.2. In my experience, it gives better, while not perfect, compatibility. Really, I'd have to test something slower to be able to say how much faster this actually is. That said, the whole system does feel a bit quicker than my usual 10.4 setup on this system. Not bad for something I booted off a firewire compact flash drive apparently made to read camera storage.

Also, I can definitely say that I didn't know there was quite this much in the way of Mac OS theming.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Though, if I had one issue, it's that, without the dock, it seems to be something of a challenge to bring apps back once they've been minimized. Can't say I know how to fix that, either.

And, bit of an odd question, but how are you supposed to shut this down?

Last edited:

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Though, if I had one issue, it's that, without the dock, it seems to be something of a challenge to bring apps back once they've been minimized. Can't say I know how to fix that, either.

And, bit of an odd question, but how are you supposed to shut this down?

The dock was not turned off, it is hidden in the bottom left corner, just place the mouse on the edge of the screen and it will appear. I will make a script in the future so that the system works as it was originally on os9 (when selecting, all windows come forward)

The new upload works, and consider me impressed with the theming. Of course, I did run it on a Mac that does support OS 9, but I feel my MDD is a good test environment for these sorts of things. Considering the amount of customization you're going for,
Rikintosh said:
What I am curious is why you didn't go for the version in 10.2. In my experience, it gives better, while not perfect, compatibility. Really, I'd have to test something slower to be able to say how much faster this actually is. That said, the whole system does feel a bit quicker than my usual 10.4 setup on this system. Not bad for something I booted off a firewire compact flash drive apparently made to read camera storage.

Also, I can definitely say that I didn't know there was quite this much in the way of Mac OS theming.

I tried with 10.2, but it is not compatible with the kernel, it is not possible to boot. I forgot to mention it, but I used the MacOS9Lives installation, which completely upgraded Mac OS 9 to version 9.2.2, with drivers, and other cutting edge features!

I did a direct comparison of Panther vs Tiger, because I have 2 identical powerbooks, Jazz Jackrabbit for example, running "jumping" many frames constantly, this was extremely irritating, and that was what made me work to convert the classic from another system. I researched the internet, and read in various forums, people complaining about the performance of classic on Tiger, photoshop professionals who used photoshop classic, audio and video professionals, everyone complained a lot about the performance, and spoke very well of the Panther's performance. Particularly, until a few weeks ago, I thought that poor performance was common in all systems, only recently did I discover that Apple had made a decent classic in the old versions, and then **** in 10.4 for some reason. I read something about apple doing this on purpose to get people to migrate to OSX, as they planned to kill the classic in Leopard.

Many changes I made to the system to improve performance, was also exchanging files with older versions of Tiger itself, but version 10.4.8. Again, strangely Apple **** everything in the latest versions.

I was able to really notice the performance difference (for the better) when I opened TenFourFox for the first time after modifying the system. Before it ran very slow with 1gb of ram, and I had to put at least 1.5gb of ram to use it more or less well. After the modifications, it not only worked very well, but I also needed to put 1.5gb of ram!

(obs. I don't leave the notebook with 1.5gb of ram all the time, because after a while it freezes, I think the memory is having a problem, so I keep it with 2x 512mb for it to work perfectly)

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
The dock was not turned off, it is hidden in the bottom left corner, just place the mouse on the edge of the screen and it will appear. I will make a script in the future so that the system works as it was originally on os9 (when selecting, all windows come forward)

I tried with 10.2, but it is not compatible with the kernel, it is not possible to boot. I forgot to mention it, but I used the MacOS9Lives installation, which completely upgraded Mac OS 9 to version 9.2.2, with drivers, and other cutting edge features!

I did a direct comparison of Panther vs Tiger, because I have 2 identical powerbooks, Jazz Jackrabbit for example, running "jumping" many frames constantly, this was extremely irritating, and that was what made me work to convert the classic from another system. I researched the internet, and read in various forums, people complaining about the performance of classic on Tiger, photoshop professionals who used photoshop classic, audio and video professionals, everyone complained a lot about the performance, and spoke very well of the Panther's performance. Particularly, until a few weeks ago, I thought that poor performance was common in all systems, only recently did I discover that Apple had made a decent classic in the old versions, and then **** in 10.4 for some reason. I read something about apple doing this on purpose to get people to migrate to OSX, as they planned to kill the classic in Leopard.

Many changes I made to the system to improve performance, was also exchanging files with older versions of Tiger itself, but version 10.4.8. Again, strangely Apple **** everything in the latest versions.

I was able to really notice the performance difference (for the better) when I opened TenFourFox for the first time after modifying the system. Before it ran very slow with 1gb of ram, and I had to put at least 1.5gb of ram to use it more or less well. After the modifications, it not only worked very well, but I also needed to put 1.5gb of ram!

(obs. I don't leave the notebook with 1.5gb of ram all the time, because after a while it freezes, I think the memory is having a problem, so I keep it with 2x 512mb for it to work perfectly)
The dream for me would be to have Classic in Leopard, but I suspect that's not really an option without doing god knows what to the kernel, if something like Jag's version wouldn't work in Tiger. I didn't know that older versions of Tiger actually ran better, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Sometimes the way I hear people describe newer versions of the Mac OS or Intel Macs, the whole thing sounds like it has the quality control of a mom and pop company. Which, I mean, is a problem.

I suppose in one sense, I threw it at too good a system. My G4 MDD is a dual 1.25 GHz cpu system, and it has 1.75 gb of ram, so it's not exactly hurting for system resources. But optimization is always a good thing.

And honestly, I really did not know Tiger could be as customized as it has been.

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
Man this awesome! Installed it on my powermac g5 and works great! Out of curiosity, what were your methods you used to go about making this?

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Man this awesome! Installed it on my powermac g5 and works great! Out of curiosity, what were your methods you used to go about making this?
well, i believe i may not remember everything i did, because i started this project more than a month ago, and i spent a lot of time reading the osx documentation. But basically, I researched on forums about how to improve the performance of the mac tiger, I found that some patches are faster than others, so I took parts of others to make a system really fast. I removed several useless things that used up precious resources from our powerpc warriors, ported the classic from panther to tiger, modified the appearance with some applications (which you can find in the system's preferences panel) and many other things I needed to modify by myself, like the icons, drawings, effects, even the login window...

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Will this work on a G4 Titanium 1GHZ ? Or maybe an Intel Mac also ? My PPC machines are limited to my G5 Quad, the G4 Titanium, the G4 Pismo.

WARNING ! I am using Leopard on the Titanium, so will it work ?

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
It's a themed OS X. Which is fine, but the title feels clickbaity given it's not OS 9, just an imitation of it.
It is not a simple thematic osx. It is a build built aiming only os9. OSX is just a compatibility layer. All the changes I made were aimed at supporting OS9 as the center of attention. In the near future, the osx finder will be replaced by the os9 finder.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Does this support Leopard? I have a Mini that can't run OS 9 natively and a PowerBook that can't run OS 9 at all. I look forward to trying this out on those if it supports Leopard! :D

Continuing that thought, could one theoretically run this under Rosetta?

Anyway, awesome work and I do want to try this out on Tiger too :D

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
Does this support Leopard? I have a Mini that can't run OS 9 natively and a PowerBook that can't run OS 9 at all. I look forward to trying this out on those if it supports Leopard! :D

It's a whole separate OS, so as long as you have the hard drive space you can install it on a separate partition without issue. Basically it's a stripped down version of tiger with heavy theming and a ported version of classic mode for better compatibility(there's much more to it from what OP says, but that's a high level explanation of it). I myself dual boot it and leopard on my powermac G5 with no issues at all!

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
It's a whole separate OS, so as long as you have the hard drive space you can install it on a separate partition without issue. Basically it's a stripped down version of tiger with heavy theming and a ported version of classic mode for better compatibility(there's much more to it from what OP says, but that's a high level explanation of it). I myself dual boot it and leopard on my powermac G5 with no issues at all!
Ohhhh, ok. Thank you for that explanation! :D
The G4 mini has been made to run OS 9 very well :)
I was talking about natively, but I do want to try that sometime :D

Reactions: Amethyst1

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

So do I.. I want to try this on my 1ghz Titanium G4 under Leopard.. While this machine does boot OS 9, I still like to see it run under Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.