Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbierner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
I just released a free iOS app called Pic Plane that explores using augmented reality for photography. This opens up a lot of fun creative possibilities.

Links
The unique feature of Pic Plane is that instead of capturing what you see, you place photographic planes in the world using augmented reality and then capture images of those planes. The captured images are saved to the photo planes as well. This is all probably better explained with a video:

You can use Pic Plane to compose simple spatial collages from your environment, or throw together quick special effects such as duplicating a person in a scene.

However what I find most interesting as a photographer is how Pic Plane lets you play around with perspective. The images you capture depend on your view of the photo plane, so if you capture the photo plane at a very steep angle for example, the resulting image will look highly distorted when viewed head-on.

Heavy perspective distortion caused by capturing an image at an angle

It's sort of like working with a shift lens or old view camera, except with the app you have far more freedom than would ever be possible with a physical camera.

The latest update also lets you record video to the planes, which enables other cool effects such as dolly zooms. You can see some of those in this post

Give the app a try and let me know if you have any feedback. I think it offers a unique take on photography and opens up a lot of creative options. I'm looking forward to seeing what others create using it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.