Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I am working on configuring Netboot on Snow Leopard Server. Previously, I had made a disk image of SL from a hard drive on a Mac with the OS on it. This image works, and when I mount it System Image Utility gives me options to create a Netboot disk image. However, when I mount a disk image of another OS, such as Tiger, it says that no valid source volumes are found. I know it should be possible to have operating systems other than Snow Leopard because I've seen it done, but I am wondering now what makes the disk image valid to be able to use it with the System Image Utility?
Thanks in advance.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
It's been a while since I did this, but I believe you need to be running the same OS as the version you're trying to image, so if you are trying to get Tiger set up, you need the Mac to be running Tiger and then run System Image Utility. Keep in mind that for Tiger and older, PowerPC and Intel images are different, so you'll need a PowerPC running Tiger for that image, unless you wanted the Intel version, in which case you'll need an Intel Mac.

Good luck and let us know what ends up working!

Reactions: tensixturtle

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@Slix thank you, that worked. I was able to image Tiger using Tiger Server and then take the .nbi file and put it in the /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0 folder.
Unfortunately, it's still not working as it shows up for Netboot on my other Macs (e.g. my iBook G4) but it always refuses to boot. I've read it might be a DHCP issue but I have no idea how to tackle that.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
@Slix thank you, that worked. I was able to image Tiger using Tiger Server and then take the .nbi file and put it in the /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0 folder.
Unfortunately, it's still not working as it shows up for Netboot on my other Macs (e.g. my iBook G4) but it always refuses to boot. I've read it might be a DHCP issue but I have no idea how to tackle that.
Glad to hear it.

Have you checked to make sure there aren't any MAC address or computer model number limits on the NetBoot image? I seem to remember there being a weird issue where if it can boot from multiple images on PowerPC, it just won't boot, so maybe having more than one PowerPC image enabled is causing it to not work. It might be getting caught trying to load the SL image instead of Tiger too. If that's the case, try disabling all other images from NetBoot settings, restarting the service, and then booting the iBook.

It could also be DNS or DHCS, but I'm not sure what exactly could be causing it to get close but not fully boot other than the multiple image situation I outlined above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.