Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Alright, so I'm scheduled at the Genius Bar for Thursday to ( most likely ) swap out my iPhone for a new one due to cracks in the plastic housing. I have had an incase slider and PowerSupport Anti-Glare screen protector since I got my iPhone and have no serious complaints except it collects dust inbetween the case and the iPhone and it seems to be scratching my chrome bezel. Zagg has opened a kiosk right outside of my local Apple Store where THEY will install an InvisiShield on whatever you want to put one on.

My question is simply a preference question amongst people who use an invisiShield and maybe even some people who have switched to or from an invisiShield to or from a case. Which do you guys prefer and why? I prefer the feel of the naked iPhone in my hand, but I also enjoy the assurance of knowing that if I drop my phone my case will protect it.

So thanks for your input. - Eric

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I had an invisible shield....it was brilliant for a month then it starts to look really shabby...edges kicking up on the chrome bezel.

Now i use a naked iphone with standard screen protector and replace it every month. The chrome bezel and back do get alittle scratched but nothing too distracting. The black is actually quite scratch resistant. And everytime you swap a new screen protector its like getting brand spanking new iphone again.

I would never use a soft or hard case for my iphone, it destroys the aesthetics in my opinion. The rubber cases never want to slip into my pocket and the hard cases are far too bulky.

Go naked its liberating : )

PS...get your iphone insured if its that precious to you. My 2 year old throws it across the room occasionally and ive dropped it onto concrete loads....but it doesn't bother me because if it does get damaged i'm just gonna get 02 to swap it.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I had an invisible shield....it was brilliant for a month then it starts to look really shabby...edges kicking up on the chrome bezel.

Now i use a naked iphone with standard screen protector and replace it every month. The chrome bezel and back do get alittle scratched but nothing too distracting. The black is actually quite scratch resistant. And everytime you swap a new screen protector its like getting brand spanking new iphone again.

I would never use a soft or hard case for my iphone, it destroys the aesthetics in my opinion. The rubber cases never want to slip into my pocket and the hard cases are far too bulky.

Go naked its liberating : )

PS...get your iphone insured if its that precious to you. My 2 year old throws it across the room occasionally and ive dropped it onto concrete loads....but it doesn't bother me because if it does get damaged i'm just gonna get 02 to swap it.

It would be nice to have insurance, but AT&T won't insure the iPhone here in the states.

the-sandman

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Leicester, UK
I will usually go out naked, the phone is so much better to hold as is. However i do put it into a case when i go walking in the countryside, its saved the phone from a couple of nasty falls into mud and gravel.

MD5Hash

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
عمّان, ا&#1604
I, too, prefer the feel of naked glass and metal in my hand. Most of my coworkers have the plastic rubber soft cases, but like everyone else is agreeing, you might as well cover the thing in orange paint while you're at it if you're interested in making it look fugly.

I use the Apple-promoted invisible shield, the one that's available on their website under accessories. For something as important as a scratchless-screen, I decided the extra money was worth it and it hasn't disappointed in about 8 months. The kind I got came with a front and back, of course, and it was amazing when I peeled off the old one a month ago saw a mirror shine again for a fresh replacement. I love that it looks like new again (except for the #%!@ edges; they need a better wrap-around design :mad:)

+1 on the getting an extended warranty from your provider, though, if they're available.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

invisible shield is awesome. Had mine on my 2G since launch and it's worked great while leaving the phone looking as it should.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

invisible shield is awesome. Had mine on my 2G since launch and it's worked great while leaving the phone looking as it should.

Did you also have problems with the edges peeling up and collecting lint?

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
I always used to use an invisible shield and recommended them to everyone, although I much preferred the naked feel of the original iPhone. I agree with some of the other statements that they can look a little shabby after a while, although all of my friends who have fitted a shield still look really good.

If you want something really cool to protect your iPhone you could check out http://www.skinit.com. I designed my own skin and had it printed a few months ago and I'm really happy with it. It not only gives good protection but it also isn't peeling at all. :D It's also a great way to give your iPhone a really unique look as you can see!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 101
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 123

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I had an InvisibleShield for the glass only on my original iPhone, but I didn't like the slightly tacky feel, the drag it causes, and the orange peel look, so I returned it for a refund. I do recommend the crystal films sold in the Apple store. You can hardly tell it is there, either by look or feel.

The OP expressed concern about protection for drops - the InvisibleShield won't offer any shock protection at all.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
i happen to be a huge fan of the invisible shield. I actually use an invisible shield/power support crystal film combo (since i don't love the invisible shield screen protector....I just love the back)

Heres the deal with the invisible shield...It's a complete pain in the ass to put on, but when its put on right, it looks GREAT. I'm completely against cases. They make the iPhone too bulky and take away from its looks imo.

I will admit that after a while, the invisible shield will peel up a little and collect dirt and lint. And also, after a while the invisible shield will discolor (it becomes yellow-ish). But heres the best thing. Zagg offers a lifetime warranty on all invisible shields, no questions asked! Once your invisible shield starts to peel up, or discolor, simply send your warranty card into Zagg, and they'll have a new one at your doorstep within two weeks for no charge. All you have to do is send your old invisible shield back once you receive the new one. I'm pretty sure they even supply an envelope to send the old one back in.

If you're clumsy and drop your iPhone a lot, don't get the invisible shield. If you're careful and love aesthetics, I would definitely recommend the invisible shield.

Hop this helps!

MD5Hash

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
عمّان, ا&#1604
I had an InvisibleShield for the glass only on my original iPhone, but I didn't like the slightly tacky feel, the drag it causes, and the orange peel look, so I returned it for a refund. I do recommend the crystal films sold in the Apple store. You can hardly tell it is there, either by look or feel.

The OP expressed concern about protection for drops - the InvisibleShield won't offer any shock protection at all.

Oh yeah, crystal film - that was the one that I got; the name had just escaped me. Get that one for the best scratch shield money can buy (that I know of ;))

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I would go with a case. The invisible shield gets dirty quick, more so if you have a white 3G. I had to take mine off after a couple of months... The FRONT invisible shield with a case might be perfect, just make sure you apply the front piece perfectly else you'll be regretting it

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Don't waste your money on Invisible shield. You get a really bad tacky feel that drives a lot of people nuts. Get a Power Support Crystal shield and it will feel just like you are touching the glass, nice and smooth. some great cases are Switcheasy line (Rebel or Neo), and the Incase Sliders. A lot of people like the Speck Candy Shell cases, but they get scuffed really easily, and can be a pain to take the phone out to clean.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
There are three main skin people out there. InvisibleSheild, BodyGuardz, and BestSkinsEver.

I have used the BestSkinsEver on both my Edge and 3G iPhones. I was able to sell my Edge iPhone after 1 year of owning it with a BestSkinsEver back and PowerSupport Crystal Film front because of how flawless it looked. I didn't even take the film off to sell it and it looked brand new. BestSkinsEver is the least expensive of the 3 and in my opinion and quite a few people I talked to, also the best. They are all just 3M products really, but I think BSE has the best cut template to resist peeling. My 3G skin is 10-11 months old now and looks great. Some people get some peeling, but for $8, it is not a big deal to get a new one and put it on. I bought a BodyGuardz film for my MacBook in November and it was awful. I peeled off what I put on and got the BSE for the MacBook and have been thrilled with it.

BestSkinsEver.com

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Thread Resolution

So I got my iPhone replaced on Thursday and walked directly over to the Zagg kiosk and bought the invisible shield with installation. It was $10US to get the installation but that comes with a 2 week guarantee and then if it starts to peel or anything past the two weeks they will reinstall for $5US for life, with no charge ever for a new shield, even if you get a new phone.

I'm telling you it feels so much better to have the skin on rather than a case... It just feels right.

So yah... Just wanted to let you guys know what I decided. If you were really interested. Haha

Counted Out

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
So I got my iPhone replaced on Thursday and walked directly over to the Zagg kiosk and bought the invisible shield with installation. It was $10US to get the installation but that comes with a 2 week guarantee and then if it starts to peel or anything past the two weeks they will reinstall for $5US for life, with no charge ever for a new shield, even if you get a new phone.

I'm telling you it feels so much better to have the skin on rather than a case... It just feels right.

So yah... Just wanted to let you guys know what I decided. If you were really interested. Haha
The invisible shields are great for protection against scratches, but if you drop it, good luck.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
There are three main skin people out there. InvisibleSheild, BodyGuardz, and BestSkinsEver.

I have used the BestSkinsEver on both my Edge and 3G iPhones. I was able to sell my Edge iPhone after 1 year of owning it with a BestSkinsEver back and PowerSupport Crystal Film front because of how flawless it looked. I didn't even take the film off to sell it and it looked brand new. BestSkinsEver is the least expensive of the 3 and in my opinion and quite a few people I talked to, also the best. They are all just 3M products really, but I think BSE has the best cut template to resist peeling. My 3G skin is 10-11 months old now and looks great. Some people get some peeling, but for $8, it is not a big deal to get a new one and put it on. I bought a BodyGuardz film for my MacBook in November and it was awful. I peeled off what I put on and got the BSE for the MacBook and have been thrilled with it.

BestSkinsEver.com

Ditto. Couldn't be happier with BSE

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The invisible shields are great for protection against scratches, but if you drop it, good luck.

ditto with this comment. Basically if someone wants to cover up their phone with SOMETHING, it's to protect from scratches or drops. IS protects from scratches but if you care at all about accidental drops that you can't prevent that MIGHT shatter the glass screen, then i would honestly get a case of some sort for precautionary measures.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
One drop or two and its game over. Even a minor drop, when it lands on that particular area will shatter the screen. So IS is not an option for many.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
One drop or two and its game over. Even a minor drop, when it lands on that particular area will shatter the screen. So IS is not an option for many.

Yah... I'm always careful and have never dropped it. The only reason I wanted some protection is just in case it rubs up on something while in my pocket or while in my cup holder in my truck. It'll just be nice to sell this one when the next iPhone comes out and get most of my new iPhone payed for.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
screen naked

Yah... I'm always careful and have never dropped it. The only reason I wanted some protection is just in case it rubs up on something while in my pocket or while in my cup holder in my truck. It'll just be nice to sell this one when the next iPhone comes out and get most of my new iPhone payed for.

My Iphone has gone naked now for almost 5 months, my screen has never been scratched even it's always in my pocket all the time. The only scratches my Iphone got was at the back, the logo and the chrome on the sides. I'm pretty surprised how durable the screen is ;).

On a side note, I noticed cracks on my headphone and charging port and based on the forum here I can get it swapped for a new one and that's what I'll be doing later but this time I'm buying a case to protect the back and sides of my Iphone, I'm still going to leave my screen naked. It feels unnatural to the touch having protection on the screen, just my 2 cents...:p

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My Iphone has gone naked now for almost 5 months, my screen has never been scratched even it's always in my pocket all the time. The only scratches my Iphone got was at the back, the logo and the chrome on the sides. I'm pretty surprised how durable the screen is ;).

On a side note, I noticed cracks on my headphone and charging port and based on the forum here I can get it swapped for a new one and that's what I'll be doing later but this time I'm buying a case to protect the back and sides of my Iphone, I'm still going to leave my screen naked. It feels unnatural to the touch having protection on the screen, just my 2 cents...:p

A lot of people will tell you the same thing. The screen protector/skin that comes with the IS/BSE/BG feels orange peel tacky and most people don't use them. The PowerSupport Crystal Film Set and a lot of other slick screen protectors are a nice convenience, and you cannot tell that they are there, they feel just like the naked glass.

whitney8O8

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
I had an incase slider for my 2G and changed to the invisible shield for my 3G. It's so nice that I didn't want to just hide it in another case. The orange peel effect doesn't look so bad on mine. I bought anti-glare screen protectors from apple and plan on putting it on if anything happens in the future (Although you can get new invisible shields for life).

What I like about the invisible shield is how slim it is. I haven't dropped it yet so I can't tell you how that will turn out. I dropped my incase slider a bunch of times and it protected the phone very well.

It all depends on whether or not you tend to drop your phone or not and whether you are willing to take the risk in order to have a naked iPhone

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.