Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi:

Is there any way of invoking Siri by using some gesture, without having to press the Home button?

'Hey Siri' is okay, but it only works when the iPad is connected to the supply.

Thanks!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi:

Is there any way of invoking Siri by using some gesture, without having to press the Home button?

'Hey Siri' is okay, but it only works when the iPad is connected to the supply.

Thanks!

There is a Jailbreak tweak similiar to "Hey Siri" but it does not require the device to be connected to a charger. It also drains battery because the phone is constantly listening for that keyword.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Used to be, but they removed it. You used to be able to treat Siri like a phone call...you'd just hold the phone to your ear and the proximity sensor would activate Siri in the earpiece.

Not sure why they took that out. I didn't use it but I'm not sure why they decided no one else should be allowed to use it.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Okay.

Thank you.

I don't want jailbreak, but I thank you for your information.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Used to be, but they removed it. You used to be able to treat Siri like a phone call...you'd just hold the phone to your ear and the proximity sensor would activate Siri in the earpiece.

Not sure why they took that out. I didn't use it but I'm not sure why they decided no one else should be allowed to use it.
Most likely because it might conflict with the new raise to listen feature in Messages (for voice messages). That said, none of that likely applies to iPads anyway since they don't have an earpiece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.