Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I recently bought a Mac Mini and wanted to get an additional (external) hard drive for storage of movies, music, etc. Was looking for a 1TB atleast.
Now I need to have one that can be on 24/7 with no problems. Maybe something that doesn't sound like a jet engine and doesn't get as hot as the sun. The last part... Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I currently have a Western Digital 500GB Passport. It works and seems fine.

I was looking at the following...

Iomega Mini Max 1TB
Western Digital 1TB Passport
Thermaltake BlacX with 1 or 2TB drive

Thoughts? The only one that I am not sure of is the BlacX because it can't go into any type of sleep mode that IKnow of.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

to be honest I reckon you should make it yourself with a western digital hard drive + case of your choosing. Much better.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
sure thing, its probably good if you have a look through here for something that suits your needs. the cases are very cheap.

choosing the HDD & enclosure lets you choose your level of quality that you want - you arent limited to what the retail stores have. its often cheaper too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.