Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Afternoon all!

iPhone SE here - had it for a year.

Anyone else finding wifi connection is unstable after update to 10.3.3? My SE has a nice strong and stable connection when I'm using it, but drops the connection when locked. I wondered if this was a new 'power save' feature in 10.3.3.?

My old Samsung used to switch off wifi to save battery when on standby, but the SE has kept connected even when locked since I've had it!

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks! :)

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
It's like this since iOS5

Are you referring to some kind of built-in power save feature? If so, I think we're talking about different things.

I can believe there's a feature that deactivates wifi when locked *until* a notification arrives - but I don't get notifications until I physically unlock my iPhone, and wait for the wifi to reconnect.

I have not had any issues like this until now, and I've had the device a year. In addition, no-one at Apple has said this is normal behaviour, and I have had 3 conversations with tech support now.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
This is power-safe future and every iPhone since iOS5 turns WiFi off when on standby. Even the notifications are pushed by mobile data first and when you unlock the phone, WiFi starts to work. Or if you wait enough on lock screen with screen on.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
This is power-safe future and every iPhone since iOS5 turns WiFi off when on standby. Even the notifications are pushed by mobile data first and when you unlock the phone, WiFi starts to work. Or if you wait enough on lock screen with screen on.

What you say makes sense to me, but it just isn't consistent with what I'm seeing.

I never have my mobile data switched on, and have had Wifi Assist switched off since day 1. And yet, for the last year, I have received notifications when my display is off and the screen is locked. Up until now, that is. I am certain there is a wider issue here - I am scheduled to visit the Apple Store next week, so hopefully they will be able to explain this.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Have you restarted your phone and router?

Also try resetting network settings. Setting -> general -> reset -> network settings

Mine always stays connected to wifi.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Have you restarted your phone and router?

Also try resetting network settings. Setting -> general -> reset -> network settings

Mine always stays connected to wifi.

Thanks for your reply - I've restarted both; in fact, I've done a factory reset on both (twice on the iPhone, following support from Apple Tech). I also did the network reset.

Now this is where things get weird:

Wifi now stays connect permanently. Thing is, I didn't *do* anything. Resetting the iPhone, the router, didn't make any difference - still had the problem on Saturday morning. And yet as of yesterday for some reason, my iPhone now stays connected. Very odd. I haven't cancelled my Genius Bar appointment yet in case it doesn't last. But at the time of writing, I now have a stable wifi connection both during use and when locked.

Weird...

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Thanks for your reply - I've restarted both; in fact, I've done a factory reset on both (twice on the iPhone, following support from Apple Tech). I also did the network reset.

Now this is where things get weird:

Wifi now stays connect permanently. Thing is, I didn't *do* anything. Resetting the iPhone, the router, didn't make any difference - still had the problem on Saturday morning. And yet as of yesterday for some reason, my iPhone now stays connected. Very odd. I haven't cancelled my Genius Bar appointment yet in case it doesn't last. But at the time of writing, I now have a stable wifi connection both during use and when locked.

Weird...

Aaaaand there we go - no wifi connection when locked. And again, didn't so anything other than use mobile data whilst out which seems to trigger the problem for some reason...

Genius Bar appointment rebooked, needless to say...

Role on iOS 11!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.