Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasbart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
In the Macrumors article on Spectre and Meltdown you write, "Apple's statement does not make it clear if these vulnerabilities have been addressed in older versions of iOS and Mac, but for Macs, there were security updates for older versions of macOS released alongside macOS 10.13.2, so it's possible fixes are already available for Sierra and El Capitan."

I am running Pro Tools on an older Macbook Pro/El Capitan and an older Mac Mini/Yosemite. When I checked the options for updating the OS the only options offered were the Sierra upgrade. I don't want to run Sierra on either of these machines, as then I would have to upgrade my Pro Tools.

On a related issue, I'm not interested in upgrading my iPhone SE, iPad Air or iPad 2017, as I'm perfectly satisfied with the way they run presently and don't want to muck up the works.

Will there be fixes offered without requiring an upgrade to the latest and greatest OS or iOS?

Reactions: mikzn

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
While there is a (very) slight chance Apple will release an upgrade to iOS 10.3 to patch these vulnerabilities there is almost zero chance that the update will be made available for devices supported in iOS 11, so it would be for the iPhone 5, 5c and iPad 4 only. My assumption is based on iOS 6.1.6, which was released by Apple to address Heartbleed, but was only made available for devices which could not upgrade to iOS 7 (which also received its own patch for Heartbleed).

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
That sucks.

So we're forced to upgrade to an iOS we don't want or be vulnerable to to the hacks.

jasbart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
If you're running an outdated version of iOS you're vulnerable anyway, it's just that all the things you are vulnerable to arent as widely publicized as Meltdown and Spectre.
But fascinating just the same that those headline viruses will cause Pro Tools users to go running for the checkout lanes to sign up for a subscription only product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.