Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hi everyone, Here is my situation, i've upgraded to Ios 10 Beta 4 week ago and everything working fine, but then 2 days ago touch id stop working (home button still work) and i tried to upgraded to ios beta 5 and it stuck in recovery mode, i tried to downgrade it to ios 9.3.4 and it's turning on now but the problem are:
1. Touch ID still not working
2. I cannot restore from my back up (it shows back up might be interrupt or not compatible with this iphone) <--- this is very bad
3. My watch is on Watch os 3 which is require ios 10 to pair with and everytime i tried to upgraded it stuck in recovery mode:(

anyone have solution for this? Now my phone has no data and my watch is sitting their can not pair :(

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When my touchID was broken I was unable to do OTA updates (although it gave me an error message, I wasn't stuck in recovery mode). Have you tried doing the beta update via iTunes? I think the reason you are getting the incompatibility message is that you're trying to restore an iOS 10 backup to an iOS 9 phone.

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
@Cougarcat: hi, Thanks for reply i tried updated via itune but it keep showing error 14, i tried difference cable and computer but still the same error.
for the backup thing, my backup is on iOS 9 before i updated it to Ios 10 so not sure why :(

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you have XCode 8 installed? It's a prerequisite to use the files downloaded from the developer portal for an iTunes restore.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
@Cougarcat: hi, Thanks for reply i tried updated via itune but it keep showing error 14, i tried difference cable and computer but still the same error.
for the backup thing, my backup is on iOS 9 before i updated it to Ios 10 so not sure why :([/QUOTE]

According to Apple it's a USB issue, but you've already tried the obvious things.

My best guess is that you have some hardware problem that is causing your issues. I'd take it to an Apple Store if you can so they can run diagnostics. But contact support, they may be able to run diagnostics remotely (I know they can do this for batteries.)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
for the backup thing, my backup is on iOS 9 before i updated it to Ios 10 so not sure why :(

Error 14 is also Xcode 8 beta issue. If you don't have it installed, you will get error 14 and won't be able to restore.

Reactions: Cougarcat

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Error 14 is also Xcode 8 beta issue. If you don't have it installed, you will get error 14 and won't be able to restore.

Glad I'm (probably) wrong. Remember the days when we could make fun of Windows for inscrutable error messages?

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

so do you mean i just need to download the xcode 8 and update the phone as normal with iTune? i will try it and post the result :) thanks

@Cougarcat : probably not the hardware issue i tried to use different charging dock flex but still the same

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
so do you mean i just need to download the xcode 8 and update the phone as normal with iTune? i will try it and post the result :) thanks

@Cougarcat : probably not the hardware issue i tried to use different charging dock flex but still the same
Correct.

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hi mate, Thanks alot for helping me. Here is the GOOD news, my phone is able to update to Ios 10 now --> i can use my watch again, once again Thanks alot guys
but Bad news are TOUCH ID still not working and i still can not use my backup file, it keep showing that can not backup because it's interrupt or not compatible. So do you have any reckon which app that i can get the data from my backup file? what i need is message and Picture and some pictures from the 3rd party application :(

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
i'm on beta 6 and my backup is on 9.3.2
And its an iTunes backup, not iCloud, right? Thats really bizarre. When was the last time you were successfully able to use that backup? Prior to iOS 10, or never?

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
And its an iTunes backup, not iCloud, right? Thats really bizarre. When was the last time you were successfully able to use that backup? Prior to iOS 10, or never?
yep it's iTunes backup, i never use that backup before, just backup then upgrade to ios 10

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
yep it's iTunes backup, i never use that backup before, just backup then upgrade to ios 10

Its very well possible the backup is corrupt. You could try installing 9.3.4 on your iPhone, then restoring your backup. if that works you can then update to iOS 10. It really depends on how important that backup is. If you need photos and have a Mac, try downloading iBackupbot (They might have a PC app now). You might be able to extract the photos from the backup.

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Its very well possible the backup is corrupt. You could try installing 9.3.4 on your iPhone, then restoring your backup. if that works you can then update to iOS 10. It really depends on how important that backup is. If you need photos and have a Mac, try downloading iBackupbot (They might have a PC app now). You might be able to extract the photos from the backup.
youp thanks alot, when i'm on 9.3.4 it still shows corrupt, must be problem with backup process. i will try that application, thanks alot mate

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
OH my gosh I'm not the only one!

My TouchID broke between beta 4 and beta 5.
This would point to software but hard resets / reboots / restores / DFU mode back to IOS9 hasn't fixed it.

Which is fine, but I can't OTA upgrade now.

So on my mac, I just need to install XCode 8, download the iOS10 ipsw then restore?

I don't care about being on the beta, but all my backsups are in iOS10 which means I have lost everything.
( I know, can't complain, beta software etc etc etc).

I would just like to get my photos back, and haven't found a truly 'free' tool to do so.

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
@WiiDsmKR69 yes mate, just make sure your mac upgraded to osx 10.11.x so it will be no problem installing the xcode 8.
you can try iexplorer to access into your back up file from itune and take whaterver you need (picture, note...) and for the "key" you can just google it i did try a youtube link and found the working register key in the comment.
UPDATED:my home button (not touch id) now sometime work sometime not work :(

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Hey!

Just letting you know that I went out on a limb and installed the latest update. Beta 7 I think?

It totally worked! Then I could restore my backup just fine.

Touchid doesn't work still, but at least I got my data back.

This was an OTA update on a windows pc , so no Xcode etc

jsphg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Hey!

Just letting you know that I went out on a limb and installed the latest update. Beta 7 I think?

It totally worked! Then I could restore my backup just fine.

Touchid doesn't work still, but at least I got my data back.

This was an OTA update on a windows pc , so no Xcode etc
congratulation bro :) atleast you've got your backup back :) what i reckon is we should leave a feedback for apple so that they can notice about the touch id issue and fix it in the next update (fingercross)

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
congratulation bro :) atleast you've got your backup back :) what i reckon is we should leave a feedback for apple so that they can notice about the touch id issue and fix it in the next update (fingercross)

Yeah I used the feedback app to place feedback but yeah, frustrating!

Every post I've read about Touch ID failing ends up with the unit being replaced in an Apple Store. So I'm thinking either the hardware has broken or the link between the software / secure enclave / hardware is broken / corrupt, and that due to the nature of how secure it is, apple just tend to replace the unit .

Wish New Zealand had apple stores !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.