Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Hey all, I checked my cellular usage and my DNS services has used 600 MB. From what I understand, this is usually a very small source of data usage. Has anyone else experienced this on the Beta? I am curious as to why it skyrocketed. It did 300 MB today alone, and I am not sure why. Any thoughts?

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Mine is only at 124 for the lifetime of the beta.
Interesting...do you know if that is a change from before? I am wondering if it has to do with using the wifi on my local public transit. It is terribly spotty and it might be using data trying to authenticate or something?

skaclown

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
Hey all, I checked my cellular usage and my DNS services has used 600 MB. From what I understand, this is usually a very small source of data usage. Has anyone else experienced this on the Beta? I am curious as to why it skyrocketed. It did 300 MB today alone, and I am not sure why. Any thoughts?

My iPhone is on 9.3.3 beta and my usage since 2014 (I dont reset :p) is at 115mb for DNS Services out 74gb total.

This looks like an issue either with 10.0 beta or your specific phone...

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm at 5.2 MB for DNS Services for the month (since June 3), which includes running beta 1 since release day. I'm at 1.2 GB total for the month.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
I'm experiencing the same on my iPhone 6S.
Excessive data usage by DNS Services.
And I suppose that's what is draining the battery in iOS 10 Beta 1, too.
So interesting. I cant seem to figure out the common denominator. Maybe there isn't one though.

GirishPurswani

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016
So interesting. I cant seem to figure out the common denominator. Maybe there isn't one though.

This is happening with me. System services used up 1.2 gb in a span of one hour. DNS seems to have taken the entire chunk. Switched off mobile data ever since. It was sucking data even while on wifi (so said the wifi data tracker) , so I restarted the phone. Now atleast on wifi it seems to be normal.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
This is what I see on beta 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.PNG
    IMG_2400.PNG
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,318

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
I did not have any issues with the betas, but today I suddenly got 466Mb of DNS requests out of nowhere. I'm on the released 10.0.1 version.
Strange, what carrier? My last screenshot is from July and not much has changed.

Attachments

• lvIf5Km.png
    lvIf5Km.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 489

rgomez

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Aguascalientes, México
Strange, what carrier? My last screenshot is from July and not much has changed.
I'm in Mexico, with AT&T.

I checked yesterday my GF's phone and she has never reset her cellular usage statistics. She has maybe 1Mb of DNS requests for 29Gb of data.

Something is very strange here but I can't find what it is. And if I can't figure out I can't prevent it from happening again.

I'm attaching the screenshot of my statistics:

IMG_7711.PNG

[doublepost=1474117744][/doublepost]

Btw, forgot to add: the first thing I did yesterday after finding this was reset my network settings. Maybe that did the trick.

And the data was in fact counted by my carrier. I noticed this first when checking the carrier's app. I usually consume maybe 1.5gb of the 4 I have each month, but now on 3 days I got to 515Mb. That's what promted me to check the statistics on the iPhone.

Last edited:

ricardovm

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Same problem. Using iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1.1. This problems seems to happen when connected to a wifi with low signal. My WiFi Assistant is turned off but it still uses lots of cellular data (~10-20Mb within 3 minutes) on DNS Services.

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
I've only used 39.1 MB for DNS since 31 AUG (so three and a half months) on T-Mobile (prepaid) on my 7Plus running 10.x (currently 10.2)...

apcorr

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
Same problem here. I reset my usage at the beginning of this billing cycle about 2 weeks ago and have 3.4 GB of DNS Services.

iPhone 6S Plus, was iOS 10 until updated to iOS 11 yesterday. The provider is AT&T.

sapi20

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2018
[doublepost=1528599709][/doublepost]hey man a moment ago i had that same problem and it was really driving me crazy but i found a way out. Firstly, to deal with the DNS problem i had to wipe all browsers history, that solved the dns problem. Cuz dns is used by browsers and with a whole ton of historz in your browser, request are send off every second. Then after there was another problem still under sys services . I think it was something like General ... So to deal with this i had to back up whatsapp chats. I thing doing these will help alot
[doublepost=1528599858][/doublepost]
  1. Same problem here. I reset my usage at the beginning of this billing cycle about 2 weeks ago and have 3.4 GB of DNS Services.
iPhone 6S Plus, was iOS 10 until updated to iOS 11 yesterday. The provider is AT&T.
Same problem here. I reset my usage at the beginning of this billing cycle about 2 weeks ago and have 3.4 GB of DNS Services.

hey man a moment ago i had that same problem and it was really driving me crazy but i found a way out. Firstly, to deal with the DNS problem i had to wipe all browsers history, that solved the dns problem. Cuz dns is used by browsers and with a whole ton of historz in your browser, request are send off every second. Then after there was another problem still under sys services . I think it was something like General ... So to deal with this i had to back up whatsapp chats. I thing doing these will help alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.