Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlosborne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
Please post all the changes coming to the 9.7 and 12.9 inch iPad Pros in iOS 10. As far as I've seen the only notable change coming to iPad is the addition of split view in safari, mail, and notes.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
This is a very controversial topic in iOS currently and rightfully so, I am looking forward to reading people's opinions. Apple made some big claims for the Pro Line of iPads and iOS on said devices is still pretty limited. Personally I believe Apple are working on a new build of iOS for the iPad that they will unveil when the next generation of iPad Pro's are introduced but we can only hope that is true for this future of computing...

In my opinion iOS for iPad should more closely resemble MacOS in regards to Notification Center and split screen Apps! Swiping in to the screen from the right should open a MacOS esque Notification Center that houses multiple pages consisting of Notifications, Today View and Control Center all accessible from one convenient location!

Split screen access should be moved to a swipe in from the top of the screen which would have this effect...
image.jpeg

At this point the app card can be dragged to either the right or the left to be dropped in split screen view...
image.jpeg

When dropped the split screen view will be active and the opposing side of the screen will display the split screen App Picker. Similar to how Safari drag and drop split screen view now works.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ianeb

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Really poor showing for the iPad pro's considering the emphasis Apple put on these new devices over the last few months. I'm not really sure what to think, surely they wouldn't assume the iOS 10 updates were good enough for all iPads including the pro line? When I purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 I did so thinking these powerful devices would be eventually given a modified version of iOS, iOS pro if you like?! Not seen any sign of that so far and from the images, videos and comments I've read, iOS 10 does not transfer well to the big screen of the 12.9 pro, shame because it's capable of so much more than being a big iPhone

Fingers crossed they are working on something!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Really poor showing for the iPad pro's considering the emphasis Apple put on these new devices over the last few months. I'm not really sure what to think, surely they wouldn't assume the iOS 10 updates were good enough for all iPads including the pro line? When I purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 I did so thinking these powerful devices would be eventually given a modified version of iOS, iOS pro if you like?! Not seen any sign of that so far and from the images, videos and comments I've read, iOS 10 does not transfer well to the big screen of the 12.9 pro, shame because it's capable of so much more than being a big iPhone

Fingers crossed they are working on something!

Yeah it's disappointing there aren't some unique features for the Pro line or bigger iPads in general geared towards better multitasking.

Let's hope iOS 11 improves on this.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
They updated messages so you can send Donald Duck stickers like a pro!

seriously though, the iPad lineup is like the notebook lineup. The pro label means fast processor and more accessory connectivity. The OS is the same on all of them.

There were a few little productivity features here and there, but Apple is mostly interested in their biggest markets, which appears to be those looking for more of a lifestyle device. So, Donald Duck stickers it is!

Reactions: mattoligy and ianeb

ianeb

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
They updated messages so you can send Donald Duck stickers like a pro!

seriously though, the iPad lineup is like the notebook lineup. The pro label means fast processor and more accessory connectivity. The OS is the same on all of them.

There were a few little productivity features here and there, but Apple is mostly interested in their biggest markets, which appears to be those looking for more of a lifestyle device. So, Donald Duck stickers it is!
Just makes me think I made the wrong choice, I seriously looked at the surface pro. Hmm

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Just makes me think I made the wrong choice, I seriously looked at the surface pro. Hmm

it feels like they considered iOS 9 the 'pro' release with its multitasking features and new accessory support. in that regard they were laying the groundwork for the initial sales pitch of the pros, but i agree it does lead to a certain feeling of disappointment that the momentum pretty much stopped there.

one could hope they'll alternate and make iOS 11 a bit more productivity oriented again, but then you run into the fact that the existing hardware will be 2 years old, and they'll probably only be targeting the newest device they want to sell you. :(

all that said, i got mine for the love of digital drawing, so i'll just focus on getting my money's worth out of that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.