Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I should be able to hide/ touch ID protect individual apps and folders Ex: Finance folder locks all my finance apps like Citibank, Mint, Paypal etc.

If not, there should be a guest mode... how many times have people snooped when you give them your phone to change music or to make a phone call?

There should be more customization for text message privacy/notifications; I really don't care about emojis/stickers/other stuff my grandma can annoy me with.

I should be able to hide some pics behind touch ID. Yes, like the majority of millennials I too share a nude or two every now and then. It would be nice not to worry about having something show up when I'm showing pics of my vacation or pictures I've just taken.

This is really basic stuff and the only reason I still keep my jailbreak, not sure why Apple hasn't improved upon it.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You make some valid suggestions, but in no way does the lack of those things indicate that iOS 10 is "failing" with privacy and customization. It is still the most secure mobile OS, and it's becoming more customizable with each new version of iOS. The included options in iOS 10 don't address all needs, but certainly most needs of most people.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
You make some valid suggestions, but in no way does the lack of those things indicate that iOS 10 is "failing" with privacy and customization. It is still the most secure mobile OS, and it's becoming more customizable with each new version of iOS. The included options in iOS 10 don't address all needs, but certainly most needs of most people.

It's such an easy thing to do, I just can't wrap my head around why it's not an option especially with how much information phones have nowadays. Either add a guest mode, or allow another layer of Touch ID (apps folders) within general access of the phone.

Reactions: JamesPDX

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I suppose the logic behind not protecting individual apps with Touch ID is that the entire phone is protected by it anyways, so just don't let untrustworthy people use your unlocked phone without supervision. Personally, if I let someone do anything with my phone, I'm watching them the entire time. On the other hand, I never ask to see someone else's phone unless they've specifically asked me to troubleshoot something for them that I can't do unless I'm using it. The less contact I have with their phone, the better. I guess phones are incredibly personal to me, and it feels weird to look at other people's apps and stuff, and likewise for other people looking at mine.

All that said... it's theoretically an easy option to add, so why not add it?

Reactions: !!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's such an easy thing to do, I just can't wrap my head around why it's not an option especially with how much information phones have nowadays. Either add a guest mode, or allow another layer of Touch ID (apps folders) within general access of the phone.
Apple sees the iPhone (or basically iOS devices) on a similar level to your wallet--you keep sensitive things in the wallet that you don't really want other people to access but they aren't really locked up beyond being in the wallet that is under your control--similarly the iPhone (or another iOS device) is meant to be a personal item that you keep and use personally and have control over even if you are perhaps showing someone something on it (similar to how people keep or kept photos in their wallet that they would sometimes show to others). I'm not saying that's necessarily the "right" or "best" approach, simply what Apple's approach to it all seems to be for the most part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.