Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oballisticsquid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2016
Tennessee, USA
The brand-new 'Press Home To Unlock' feature of the lock screen is, if not "very much" confusing for most previous iPhone users, quite a complicated approach just to unlock the device. The current prompt is just too small to notice, and sometimes hard to understand (Press Home To Unlock, then Press Home To Open). Compared to just swiping or tapping on the screen as used in almost all smartphones & tablets, 'Press Home To Unlock' is a bit odd, and even the label itself is not quite easy to get. Most people know that an iPhone, or an iOS device is pretty much unlocked with a slide. If not, with iOS 10, the user will start pressing everything, and possibly even ruin their workflow.

A suggested approach is to bring back 'familiarity', or integrate design with personal thinking on how a typical smartphone works. Any technology-oriented person recognizes that most smartphones require just a swipe to be unlocked without pressing buttons more than once. The solution is with the return of 'Slide To Unlock', however with a different UI tweak to still permit access to the similar gesture in bringing up the widget screen.

The result is the return of the once groundbreaking 'Slide To Unlock' bar slider.

Concept Mock-Up

Here is a design mock-up / illustration of the 'Slide To Unlock' interface merged with the familiar "bar slider" which is interactive, reminiscent on older versions of iOS:

555689-2d57ac3736673a633013e0ac1b7a6a27.jpg

> On the first set of photos is the former lock screen interface as depicted in iOS 6 and the current 'Slide To Unlock' user-interface as seen on an iPhone running iOS 7 (the gesture still exists up to iOS 9).

The second set of photos are the mock-up suggestions for 'Slide To Unlock' redesigned with a transparent-translucent 'sliding bar':

555688-c8f5118121f5306fd8623553e6ee1e38.jpg
555690-311cd119a930275d93a4c4ae5cc79b52.jpg
555691-29914d3200dadec43ff57998a11ed198.jpg

> First photo shows the round page indicators above the sliding bar.
> The second photo shows the round page indicators at their current position in iOS 10.
> The third photo shows the the sliding bar interfaced with 'Slide To Open' when the device is unlocked.

Design

A semi–transparent-translucent bar slider runs across the bottom of the screen, complete with an animation that makes the slider area fade away to trigger the passcode screen, where the use is promoted either to use Touch ID or enter their passcode. A 'padlock' icon is still present at the topmost portion of the lock screen, and still animates to show that it has 'Unlocked' if Touch ID has read the user's fingerprint. Thus, if the device is already unlocked, the 'Slide To Unlock' text will change to 'Slide To Open'.

> Note: 'Slide To Open' changes the function of 'Press to Open' when the device is unlocked. If the 'Rest Finger To Unlock' toggle is turned on, there is no need for 'Slide to Open'.

Small round page indicators still rest above / below the interface to show users that a swipe towards the right still opens the widget screen, and a right swipe still toggles the camera.

Benefits

With the return of the 'sliding bar' interface, it completely eliminates confusion on unlocking the iOS device. The return of the 'sliding bar' also prevents the opening of the widget screen.

Design-wise, it may still cause a little confusion with people migrating from an iOS 9 device, as swiping anywhere around the lock screen will just toggle the widget view. Overall, it is still an easier gesture for people to get used to.

As with the concept implemented in future iterations of iOS, if will also prevent more problems from occurring, such as inevitable hardware problems with the home button. People have various degrees of pressure when pressing the home button, such as when rushing, or forcing Touch ID to recognize their finger and proceed immediately, all of which can cause hardware failure. It should also be considered that half of iOS devices are not equipped with Touch ID, or have the Touch ID function not working or disabled. The Touch ID sensor on later devices currently makes the the iOS 10 lock screen change somewhat unnoticeable.

The move would also prevent confusion towards buyers trying out an iOS device in a local Apple Store, where one could have no clue how to open the device unless they find the small text of the current iOS 10 'Press Home To Open''.

Conclusion

All the aforementioned design tweaks can still be subjected for improvement. This concept can solve the problem of confusion between the majority of current users and new users to come.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    909.8 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 11,505
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    914.3 KB · Views: 736

chrissuth

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
I still can't see why people are moaning so much about pressing a button. Your thumb is pretty much next to the home button anyway. Or with Touch ID, hardly a big issue to press instead of resting your thumb. Not hard to get used to a minor change.

Last edited:

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Might be one of the worst threads I've seen in a while. Such a shame that the author put so much effort into such nonsense. Just use iOS 6 if it makes so much difference to you.

I think we are being trolled now that I think about it.

Using Touch ID you can unlock widget view and notifications instead of opening the phone. It removes the need to unlock the phone every time unless you need to.

Last edited:

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Honestly, people should just get over themselves. As said above, if pressing a button is too complicated for your brain cells and causes a complete mind fsck, then rather throw your damn phones away and go back to living in the dark ages. I can't believe what such whiny immature spoilt brats people have become. I honestly can't believe how many threads have to be dedicated to such moronic things. The human race is doomed.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Honestly, people should just get over themselves. As said above, if pressing a button is too complicated for your brain cells and causes a complete mind fsck, then rather throw your damn phones away and go back to living in the dark ages. I can't believe what such whiny immature spoilt brats people have become. I honestly can't believe how many threads have to be dedicated to such moronic things. The human race is doomed.
Just your last sentence: the human race is doomed. Indeed.
And I don't find any difficulties pressing home button at most "twice" to unlock device.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Wow.

This guy takes his time making a concept of what (I assume) he would prefer, draws it quite well, now he gets called out on "moaning about pressing a button". He has the right to think so. Now stop focusing on whatever ANNOYS you and instead focus on whatever PLEASES you, you ****ing jerks desperate for calling out on people who put effort.

God damn it.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I think the negativity is more towards the OP opinion that people aren't smart enough to figure it out and/or adapt to change.

Posts like this make me laugh because they assume that Apple didn't have a reason to make a change.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
The brand-new 'Press Home To Unlock' feature of the lock screen is, if not "very much" confusing for most previous iPhone users, quite a complicated approach just to unlock the device. The current prompt is just too small to notice, and sometimes hard to understand (Press Home To Unlock, then Press Home To Open). Compared to just swiping or tapping on the screen as used in almost all smartphones & tablets, 'Press Home To Unlock' is a bit odd, and even the label itself is not quite easy to get. Most people know that an iPhone, or an iOS device is pretty much unlocked with a slide. If not, with iOS 10, the user will start pressing everything, and possibly even ruin their workflow.

A suggested approach is to bring back 'familiarity', or integrate design with personal thinking on how a typical smartphone works. Any technology-oriented person recognizes that most smartphones require just a swipe to be unlocked without pressing buttons more than once. The solution is with the return of 'Slide To Unlock', however with a different UI tweak to still permit access to the similar gesture in bringing up the widget screen.

The result is the return of the once groundbreaking 'Slide To Unlock' bar slider.

Concept Mock-Up

Here is a design mock-up / illustration of the 'Slide To Unlock' interface merged with the familiar "bar slider" which is interactive, reminiscent on older versions of iOS:

555689-2d57ac3736673a633013e0ac1b7a6a27.jpg

> On the first set of photos is the former lock screen interface as depicted in iOS 6 and the current 'Slide To Unlock' user-interface as seen on an iPhone running iOS 7 (the gesture still exists up to iOS 9).

The second set of photos are the mock-up suggestions for 'Slide To Unlock' redesigned with a transparent-translucent 'sliding bar':

555688-c8f5118121f5306fd8623553e6ee1e38.jpg
555690-311cd119a930275d93a4c4ae5cc79b52.jpg
555691-29914d3200dadec43ff57998a11ed198.jpg

> First photo shows the round page indicators above the sliding bar.
> The second photo shows the round page indicators at their current position in iOS 10.
> The third photo shows the the sliding bar interfaced with 'Slide To Open' when the device is unlocked.

Design

A semi–transparent-translucent bar slider runs across the bottom of the screen, complete with an animation that makes the slider area fade away to trigger the passcode screen, where the use is promoted either to use Touch ID or enter their passcode. A 'padlock' icon is still present at the topmost portion of the lock screen, and still animates to show that it has 'Unlocked' if Touch ID has read the user's fingerprint. Thus, if the device is already unlocked, the 'Slide To Unlock' text will change to 'Slide To Open'.

> Note: 'Slide To Open' changes the function of 'Press to Open' when the device is unlocked. If the 'Rest Finger To Unlock' toggle is turned on, there is no need for 'Slide to Open'.

Small round page indicators still rest above / below the interface to show users that a swipe towards the right still opens the widget screen, and a right swipe still toggles the camera.

Benefits

With the return of the 'sliding bar' interface, it completely eliminates confusion on unlocking the iOS device. The return of the 'sliding bar' also prevents the opening of the widget screen.

Design-wise, it may still cause a little confusion with people migrating from an iOS 9 device, as swiping anywhere around the lock screen will just toggle the widget view. Overall, it is still an easier gesture for people to get used to.

As with the concept implemented in future iterations of iOS, if will also prevent more problems from occurring, such as inevitable hardware problems with the home button. People have various degrees of pressure when pressing the home button, such as when rushing, or forcing Touch ID to recognize their finger and proceed immediately, all of which can cause hardware failure. It should also be considered that half of iOS devices are not equipped with Touch ID, or have the Touch ID function not working or disabled. The Touch ID sensor on later devices currently makes the the iOS 10 lock screen change somewhat unnoticeable.

The move would also prevent confusion towards buyers trying out an iOS device in a local Apple Store, where one could have no clue how to open the device unless they find the small text of the current iOS 10 'Press Home To Open''.

Conclusion

All the aforementioned design tweaks can still be subjected for improvement. This concept can solve the problem of confusion between the majority of current users and new users to come.

I won't comment on whether it's better to press Home or slide, rather I'll just comment on the concept itself.

Text-wise:
I feel like this adds on to the confusion. Does "Slide to unlock" allow me to unlock iOS and stay in the lockscreen? What does "Slide to open" open? (Of course iOS 10's current text isn't any better… but the slight delay before "Press Home to unlock" appears helps somewhat)

Visually:
Having the dots above the sliding bar restricts the Today screen to a rather short height. Not good for 4" screens. In fact having the bar being such a big block makes it very visually 'heavy'. I can't imagine how messy it will look when you include notifications or the music now playing screen.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Wow.

This guy takes his time making a concept of what (I assume) he would prefer, draws it quite well, now he gets called out on "moaning about pressing a button". He has the right to think so. Now stop focusing on whatever ANNOYS you and instead focus on whatever PLEASES you, you ****ing jerks desperate for calling out on people who put effort.

God damn it.

What bloody difference is his concept going to make? No matter how "brilliant" his concept is, it isn't going to change Apple's stance. So stop wasting your time and everyone else's time by coming up with useless concepts that will never see the light of day and posting it on MacRumors. If you feel so strongly about your "brilliant" concepts, go submit them to Apple instead.

DeltaEchoBlue

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
I won't comment on whether it's better to press Home or slide, rather I'll just comment on the concept itself.

Text-wise:
I feel like this adds on to the confusion. Does "Slide to unlock" allow me to unlock iOS and stay in the lockscreen? What does "Slide to open" open? (Of course iOS 10's current text isn't any better… but the slight delay before "Press Home to unlock" appears helps somewhat)

Visually:
Having the dots above the sliding bar restricts the Today screen to a rather short height. Not good for 4" screens. In fact having the bar being such a big block makes it very visually 'heavy'. I can't imagine how messy it will look when you include notifications or the music now playing screen.

If I'm not mistaken, switching to the widget screen makes the slide to unlock bar fade away (much like how the dock disappears when you swipe left to the widget sections when the device is unlocked). I think the concept is good but needs more detail and clarity to be more solid. He's actually right about future hardware problems it can cause after iOS 10's final release.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Imagine the opposite and it was always push to unlock and Apple decided to add the extra step of slide to unlock in iOS 10. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

People want change until they get it and then they hate it because it 'forces' them to actually make a change.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
What bloody difference is his concept going to make? No matter how "brilliant" his concept is, it isn't going to change Apple's stance. So stop wasting your time and everyone else's time by coming up with useless concepts that will never see the light of day and posting it on MacRumors. If you feel so strongly about your "brilliant" concepts, go submit them to Apple instead.
Who cares about whether Apple accepts the concept or not?! All that matters is that the guy had an idea and he drew it, then wants to share it with us. Jesus ****ing christ stop judging. People like you are the reason why people don't want to be creative anymore.

DeltaEchoBlue

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
Who cares about whether Apple accepts the concept or not?! All that matters is that the guy had an idea and he drew it, then wants to share it with us. Jesus ****ing christ stop judging. People like you are the reason why people don't want to be creative anymore.

We need more people like this guy in this world who actually appreciate ideas even if they can have flaws. I salute you for this act of respect.

And you're absolutely right about why people stop being creative, I hope the concept designer doesn't get discouraged from all this hate he doesn't deserve.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Let me guess, all the fanboys here are the ones who criticize all of Apple's moves. Think you can do it better and take pride in bragging about it on MacRumors. Sure no problem, have your say. In the end, no one, especially Apple gives a damn.

Reactions: LordQ

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Slide to unlock was a relic from the original iPhone. It was more or less just there as a "flashy" way of opening the device, it' wasn't really any easier. It was just something to be "cool" and different.

I'm glad it's gone. It doesn't make sense anymore on newer devices. Removing it brings more functionality and purpose to the lock screen.

Not sure why some are finding it so confusing with iOS 10. Unlock and Open. Two states. Seems pretty clear in what they mean.

The iOS 10 change doesn't suddenly mean everyone's Home buttons are going to break. Why are so many so paranoid about this? Home buttons possibly as soon as the iPhone 7 won't even be a physical button anymore. It will be 3D/Force Touch just like the new Mac trackpads.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Being spotted and commented by a member.
Anyway.
I have tried multiple times in a local Apple Store and "swipe to unlock" is nowhere better than "press to unlock".
Anyway, I still think "swipe to unlock" is not completely useless. It depends, but for me "press" is better than "swipe", that's it.

Last edited:

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey

Why though? At least contribute to the discussion if you're going to bump the thread. This "concept" garbage has gotten out of hand on MacRumors. Take it to deviantart or behance.net if you really think your idea is "revolutionary".

It's the same rehashed garbage.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Sliding on the screen then moving to touchid is better than just pressing the button for.... reasons. I have no idea why people are obsessing over this change.

Also, don't give up the day job, op.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Why though? At least contribute to the discussion if you're going to bump the thread. This "concept" garbage has gotten out of hand on MacRumors. Take it to deviantart or behance.net if you really think your idea is "revolutionary".

It's the same rehashed garbage.
Ahh...too late.
This is completely an accident post. I didn't realise it before I saw it and failed to edit that post in time.
Which means, this "b" means nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.