Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryan8383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Is there no way to love/dislike a song from the lock screen? So far, I have to unlock my phone and return to the music app every time I want to do this. Seems like a big omission unless I'm missing something. Thanks.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You've never been able to in iOS 9 right?

There was a heart button on the lock screen as well as on the ‘now playing’ screen. Now you always have to go to that screen and press the three-dots menu, elsewhere you have to tap and hold to show the menu.

bryan8383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
There was a heart button on the lock screen as well as on the ‘now playing’ screen. Now you always have to go to that screen and press the three-dots menu, elsewhere you have to tap and hold to show the menu.

So you're verifying there is no way to do this from the lock screen, correct? Doesn't make sense why this would be disabled given it was available in iOS 9 and, I would think, a large percentage of iPhone users listen to music with their phone locked. And the whole purpose of Apple Music is based on a user's loves/dislikes.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So you're verifying there is no way to do this from the lock screen, correct? Doesn't make sense why this would be disabled given it was available in iOS 9 and, I would think, a large percentage of iPhone users listen to music with their phone locked. And the whole purpose of Apple Music is based on a user's loves/dislikes.

Perhaps it works with 3D Touch, I cannot say. Siri also works, but there is no quick way to ‘like’ songs.

I cannot add anything to this, I’ve expressed some of my criticism on the new music app here already. IMO it is garbage; improves very little, at the cost of many useful features, such as rating functionality as well as general usability due to the huge fonts and single-view components. That the rating is gone proves to me that they had a narrow-minded sense of the user experience. But hey, at least its a sparkly ‘redesign from the ground up’.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Perhaps it works with 3D Touch, I cannot say. Siri also works, but there is no quick way to ‘like’ songs.

I cannot add anything to this, I’ve expressed some of my criticism on the new music app here already. IMO it is garbage; improves very little, at the cost of many useful features, such as rating functionality as well as general usability due to the huge fonts and single-view components. That the rating is gone proves to me that they had a narrow-minded sense of the user experience. But hey, at least its a sparkly ‘redesign from the ground up’.
I have not upgraded to iOS 10 yet, but you can no longer rate songs? Really?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have not upgraded to iOS 10 yet, but you can no longer rate songs? Really?

You can only ‘like’ songs now, either by tapping and holding a song in your library or by pressing the three-dots menu in the ‘now playing’ screen. Gone is the like button from the lock screen or the ’now playing’ screen itself. The stars are completely gone.

IMG_2716.PNG

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You can only ‘like’ songs now, either by tapping and holding a song in your library or by pressing the three-dots menu in the ‘now playing’ screen. Gone is the like button from the lock screen or the ’now playing’ screen itself. The stars are completely gone.

View attachment 652022
Wow I've got gigs and gigs of music that is rated a huge collection not sure what happens now? I can't believe this.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Wow I've got gigs and gigs of music that is rated a huge collection not sure what happens now? I can't believe this.

If you still rate them in iTunes, that information will persist on iOS too, e.g. in smart playlists. But on iOS you won’t be able to rate songs anymore in Apple’s music app.

Reactions: bobright
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.