Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I understand that it is a beta and performance drops are to be expected however i wondered if anyone had seen noticeable lowering of performance on the 9.7" iPad Pro and in what areas were they occurring?

Is the performance alright overall or was it significantly better on iOS 9?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't have a 9.7" Pro but I do have iOS 10 installed on an iPhone 6, iPad 4 and iPad Pro 12.9". Overall performance is pretty much identical to iOS 9.3.2/9.3.3 (beta) for each device.

The keyboard will sometimes lag behind and maybe an animation here and there. But it's a Developer Preview 1. It's not expected to be optimized at all yet.

If beta 1 is "just as good" overall compared to current release iOS available then it should be somewhat safe to say it will finish off better once it's released than iOS 9. Some areas are actually quicker already.

I would not be worried and especially not about the 9.7" Pro.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Animation performance on my 9.7" Pro isn't smooth, opening an app from a folder the opening animation stutters, I've noticed other animations stuttering too.

Though it is in the release notes that performance on some devices isn't as good as it should be. So I'm not worried. It's only a beta 1, the main purpose of the first beta was to get the API's and such available to developers.

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
I understand that it is a beta and performance drops are to be expected however i wondered if anyone had seen noticeable lowering of performance on the 9.7" iPad Pro and in what areas were they occurring?

Is the performance alright overall or was it significantly better on iOS 9?

Hi,

I just upgraded to an iPad Pro 9.7" this past weekend, from an Air 2. The very first thing I did out-of-the-box was stick on my developer profile and update it to the 10.0 Beta, so I've got no experience of how a Pro performs on iOS 9.x to compare with, sadly.

One thing I can say is that I am noticing a lot more re-springs on my Pro than I ever got on the Air 2. I get about half-a-dozen or so a day on the Pro, usually when using App Switcher. On the Air 2 I only had about two or three re-springs the whole week I was running the beta on it, and they seemed much more random rather than linked to one specific feature or activity.

Other than that though, it's fine. Animations are very stuttery as others have said, and sometimes there is a bit of a lag or outright freeze when switching between apps. But other than that, no issues that seem to be specific to the Pro.

Sbishop84

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I have tired the iOS 10 beta on my iPad Air 2/iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Pro 12.9" and I would say the iPad Pro 9.7" is the worst for performance so far. I'm not overly fussed as it's early days. I'm sure Apple will resolve this in beta 2.

Reactions: xaqt93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.