Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
After looking over different articles and OSX releases over the years, I've come to believe that iOS 10 will be like the OSX Lion release. Drop legacy 32bit while adding some major new features. Anyone else think this is plausible. I'm not asking for confirmation just opinions I already know no one knows but the fun is in the speculating.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
After looking over different articles and OSX releases over the years, I've come to believe that iOS 10 will be like the OSX Lion release. Drop legacy 32bit while adding some major new features. Anyone else think this is plausible. I'm not asking for confirmation just opinions I already know no one knows but the fun is in the speculating.
I really don't think so, current 32bit devices that iOS 9 supports are
  • iPhone 4S, 5, 5c
  • iPad 2, 3, 4
  • iPad Mini 1
  • iPod touch 5th gen
That's a lot of devices to cut in one update.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
  • iPhone 4S, 5, 5c
  • iPad 2, 3, 4
  • iPad Mini 1
  • iPod touch 5th gen
You think iOS 10 will cut A5 atleast, possibly maybe they'll get another year lol that would be crazy. I mean I'm just wondering because they have to go 64bit only at somepoint and Apple isn't one for putting off these big transitions.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
  • iPhone 4S, 5, 5c
  • iPad 2, 3, 4
  • iPad Mini 1
  • iPod touch 5th gen

Well, the 4S, Mini 1, iPad 2, 3 and the 5th gen iPod all have the A5 chip (A5X for iPad 3) and they are all slow and will probably not be updated in iOS 10.

That leaves us with the iPhone 5, 5c and the iPad 4, which is getting slower. So it could happen this year. They've already started making 64bit features (Night Shift)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
  • iPhone 4S, 5, 5c
  • iPad 2, 3, 4
  • iPad Mini 1
  • iPod touch 5th gen
I'll italicize the devices I think are done. Just a guess. That leaves 5C, both retina iPads as only 32 bit devices left.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'll italicize the devices I think are done. Just a guess. That leaves 5C, both retina iPads as only 32 bit devices left.
I think iPad 3 will be dropped. That thing doesn't have the hardware to keep up. And if they are keeping the 5c, they will probably keep the 5, as they share hardware components.

gobikerider

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I think iPad 3 will be dropped. That thing doesn't have the hardware to keep up. And if they are keeping the 5c, they will probably keep the 5, as they share hardware components.
Most likely they'll do that drop A5 support but keep A6 for atleast one more year if not 2 more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.