Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbsurdBrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Las Vegas
Anyone else having issues with quick reply from the lock screen where the input box and send button do not show up making it impossible to reply? Keyboard, predictive words and the users message show but not the input box. Happens about 3 out of 10 times.

Reactions: scapegoat81

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
I was having the same issue... That stopped, but now I don't even get the option to reply. All I get is the option to close.

AbsurdBrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Las Vegas
I was having the same issue... That stopped, but now I don't even get the option to reply. All I get is the option to close.
Mine is starting to get worse. Less often am I able to reply and I can't narrow down the cause, it's too random.

What phone do you guys have? I'm on the 6S.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I sometimes get this, but when it does work, there's other issues:
- if my reply is longer than one line, it pushes the text down along with the send button, but doesn't expand the notification, so I can't actually see the send button anymore
- the above doesn't really matter, because the phone locks/goes back to sleep before I've actually had chance to press the send button :D

Reactions: Kdixon and corian

ORUCoachSto

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Anyone else having issues with quick reply from the lock screen where the input box and send button do not show up making it impossible to reply? Keyboard, predictive words and the users message show but not the input box. Happens about 3 out of 10 times.

I thought I had the same issue, but before I chalked it up as a bug I wanted to try something first. I only tried this a couple times, but it worked every single try. Quick reply and the send button pops up when you use Touch ID to unlock but never press the home button - meaning the lock button in the center, on top is gone. When the lock is present, it never allowed me to send a message, it just let me view it. It's the same when swiping a notification to open it, the app never opened unless I already used Touch ID to unlock the phone. I hope hat made sense...

Next time have someone text you, use Touch ID but don't hit the home button to unlock the phone (the lock is not present) - you should be able to reply. Then try it again, and don't even use Touch ID (the lock should be present still), you shouldn't be able to send anything...

AbsurdBrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Las Vegas
- if my reply is longer than one line, it pushes the text down along with the send button, but doesn't expand the notification, so I can't actually see the send button anymore
- the above doesn't really matter, because the phone locks/goes back to sleep before I've actually had chance to press the send button :D
My girl has this issue where it goes back to sleep on her before finishing the message. She has the 6 tho not the 6S so I figured it was a bug in devices 6/+ and below. I haven't had the sleep issue yet.

I thought I had the same issue, but before I chalked it up as a bug I wanted to try something first. I only tried this a couple times, but it worked every single try. Quick reply and the send button pops up when you use Touch ID to unlock but never press the home button - meaning the lock button in the center, on top is gone. When the lock is present, it never allowed me to send a message, it just let me view it. It's the same when swiping a notification to open it, the app never opened unless I already used Touch ID to unlock the phone. I hope hat made sense...

Next time have someone text you, use Touch ID but don't hit the home button to unlock the phone (the lock is not present) - you should be able to reply. Then try it again, and don't even use Touch ID (the lock should be present still), you shouldn't be able to send anything...
I'll definitely be trying this, thanks.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

This is how it's supposed to work now. Unlock (as in provide access to secure functions, such as sending a message or working with other interactive notifications) and go to home screen are now distinct actions. Put your finger on touchID to unlock and press home a second time to go to home screen. Note that the second press is only required if you've either a) had the lock screen open for a few seconds or b) interacted with the lock screen in some way. Otherwise you can press home once and leave your finger on touchID to unlock instantly as you always could. It's a rather nice solution imo but will definitely take some time to internalize

AbsurdBrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Las Vegas
This is how it's supposed to work now. Unlock (as in provide access to secure functions, such as sending a message or working with other interactive notifications) and go to home screen are now distinct actions. Put your finger on touchID to unlock and press home a second time to go to home screen. Note that the second press is only required if you've either a) had the lock screen open for a few seconds or b) interacted with the lock screen in some way. Otherwise you can press home once and leave your finger on touchID to unlock instantly as you always could. It's a rather nice solution imo but will definitely take some time to internalize
After reading his post I started thinking the same thing as well. But there are times where I could raise to wake my phone, force touch a sms reply while phone is still locked (not verified with Touch ID) still able to reply to the message no problem. It's just random for me. At first it was every 3 out of 10 tries it wouldn't let me, now its about 7 out of 10 tries I can't reply.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
After reading his post I started thinking the same thing as well. But there are times where I could raise to wake my phone, force touch a sms reply while phone is still locked (not verified with Touch ID) still able to reply to the message no problem. It's just random for me. At first it was every 3 out of 10 tries it wouldn't let me, now its about 7 out of 10 tries I can't reply.

I've seen others say they could do this but, since Apple hasn't explained fully how it intends this to work yet, and I don't have a 3D Touch capable device, I don't have all the answers. It might be related to how recently you authenticated, it might just be a bug and you shouldn't be able to do it without auth every time. I honestly don't know.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly

This has been happening since 9.0. Still exists on my 6s running 9.3.2

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I can still reply with passcode or Touch ID from lock screen.

Isn't that what you'd want? You authenticate (by passcode or fingerprint) and then you can do things which should be secured. I might be misunderstanding your post.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Oops. I meant without passcode or Touch ID.

Ah. Makes more sense :)

Like I said, it's not clear how this is meant to work for now. It may be a bug, it may be related to auth timeouts or it may be something else entirely. I'm not able to test. Maybe try seeing if you can only do this for so long since you last signed in by passcode or fingerprint?

AbsurdBrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Las Vegas
Unlocking (Not opening phone) before replying from lock screen allows it to work more frequently. Still happened once since but now it's bearable till a fix in a future update.

Update: Starting to happen again more and more even after unlocking, even resetting isn't helping. Guess its just my luck.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I get the sleep issue. Incredibly annoying but expected with the first beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.