Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
anyone have the new home app in ios 10 and remote access working with a 3rd generation apple TV?

I have the home app setup and am logged into the same icloud account on iphone and apple tv, but am still unable to access homekit remotely. Does ios 10 work with 3rd gen apple tv, and does it have a beta version that supports this?

UPDATE: Turns out the 3rd gen Apple TV will not work with ios 10 as the hub. I switched to an old ipad mini, and everything works great now.

Last edited:

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Not sure about a 3rd Gen Apple TV but I have a 4th gen and my remote access is working with iOS 10 beta. I did not upgrade the firmware in my Apple TV yet. Was your iCloud working before you updated to beta? Make sure you check your HomeKit remote access settings as well as your iCloud Keychain settings

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
I didn't get into homekit until after I installed the beta so it may just be a beta thing. I am using the same icloud account on the phone and the apple tv. The ios 10 beta doesn't have homekit settings, it has home instead and there is only an icloud on or off toggle, I have it on.

Everything works great in the house, it's just not accessible remotely, I'm thinking at this point it must be something with the beta

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I didn't get into homekit until after I installed the beta so it may just be a beta thing. I am using the same icloud account on the phone and the apple tv. The ios 10 beta doesn't have homekit settings, it has home instead and there is only an icloud on or off toggle, I have it on.

Everything works great in the house, it's just not accessible remotely, I'm thinking at this point it must be something with the beta

Do you have any devices on iOS 9 that are on that same iCloud account? You may be able to fix this buy changing those settings on that device.

D1QuickSilver

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
anyone have the new home app in ios 10 and remote access working with a 3rd generation apple TV?

I have the home app setup and am logged into the same icloud account on iphone and apple tv, but am still unable to access homekit remotely. Does ios 10 work with 3rd gen apple tv, and does it have a beta version that supports this?

I am using iOS10 (public beta) with 3rd gen AppleTV and it works remotely.

Otto Pilot

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
Another thing you might want to try, that seems to have worked for me, is to set the Apple TV to never sleep or shut off. Remote access was not working for me (I have both ATV 3 and 4) until I set one of them to never sleep, then signed out and back in to iCloud. Since then I have not had ANY issues connecting remotely.

nicksan

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
The automation tab isn't showing and just presents the Apple tv image.

I'm running iOS 10 public beta, Philips Hue V2 bridge and an Apple TV 3rd generation.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing that it might be the Apple TV - possibly need a 4th gen running the latest beta?

Edit - fixed it by adding a timer in another app - this caused the automation screen to appear, then able to add location/contextual timers in the home app.

Last edited:

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
I have gotten it partly working. I have a bunch of idevices switches and they work remotely perfectly with the new home app.

I have several philips hue lights and the always show up as not responding or no response in home, when I'm remote. I'm not sure if this is a hue but, or if its just me.

The hue lights do work remotely if I use the hue app. I would love to have them working with Home so I could have them turn on when I get close to home.

Anyone have any thoughts on why just the hue stuff doesn't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.