Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
This is driving me NUTS!

After I updated to iOS 10, the Music app no longer hid my iCloud Music Library. I figured they just removed it (intentionally or out of stupidity) but Apple's support site claims it's there. Great! Only that's not what MY Settings->Music screen looks like (see below). What am I missing? Is there no option to hide iCloud purchases or is my phone just magically missing the setting?

IMG_0936.PNG

Portal83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Okay, so I did that and it showed up (although I annoyingly had to actually sign up for Apple Music first!) But I still have an issue. With it toggled I can't see the music on my phone. With it off I can see the music on my phone PLUS my icloud music. I guess what I'm looking for is the old 'Show Only Downloaded Music' option since I only want to see the songs I have checked to sync from iTunes. Otherwise it looks like I have to go through 1-by-1 and remove the iCloud songs from the library on my phone which is just a PITA...

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Okay, so I did that and it showed up (although I annoyingly had to actually sign up for Apple Music first!) But I still have an issue. With it toggled I can't see the music on my phone. With it off I can see the music on my phone PLUS my icloud music. I guess what I'm looking for is the old 'Show Only Downloaded Music' option since I only want to see the songs I have checked to sync from iTunes. Otherwise it looks like I have to go through 1-by-1 and remove the iCloud songs from the library on my phone which is just a PITA...

Removing songs from the Library on your iPhone removes them everywhere. Be careful! To see music that's on the phone select Downloaded Music in the app menu. If it's not there then tap Edit and tick it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You might just have missed up your music library.
All you need to do is to just hide your purchases from iTunes.
However now you still can try to hide purchases from iTunes.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Ah ok. I was a little confused re: 'Downloaded Music' in the Settings->Music menu vs the Music app.

So basically yeah, that does do what I want but still find it incredibly stupid that I have to use a whole other subcategory and totally avoid the normal 'songs' category to not see songs I don't want to see or hear on my phone. I'd just 'hide' all the ones I don't want on my phone through iTunes but I'd have to hide every song individually and still want them visible on my computer. Plus Siri seems to have issues being told to play only downloaded music. Annoyed.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Sorry, but I believe you have misunderstood what iCloud Music Library is for. It is an additional feature for Apple Music subscribers and has absolutely nothing to do with your synced or purchased iTunes music. You should cancel your subscription. This is unfortunate.

What you are looking for is the toggle to hide purchased iTunes music and you are quite right that it was there in iOS 9, but it seems to be gone completely. You mean this one:
aqYtM.jpg

Add it to the long list of 'what the hell' regarding the new music app. So ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: dysamoria

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's right on the first screen, in iOS 10. See "Downloaded Music"? Or am I missing something?

The issue is that users without an Apple Music subscription will not really need this ‘Downloaded Music’ section. They would either sync their music through iTunes or they would download songs via iTunes Store. In previous versions of this app it was possible to completely hide purchased iTunes tracks if they were not already downloaded. Now you would have to restrict yourself to always enter this superfluous sub-section of your library, which is one unnecessary step.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
The issue is that users without an Apple Music subscription will not really need this ‘Downloaded Music’ section. They would either sync their music through iTunes or they would download songs via iTunes Store. In previous versions of this app it was possible to completely hide purchased iTunes tracks if they were not already downloaded. Now you would have to restrict yourself to always enter this superfluous sub-section of your library, which is one unnecessary step.

Quite right, and bloody annoying. I understand Apple wants us to sign up to Apple Music, but thy shouldn't punish us because we don't want to. The whole iTunes and Music app is just getting worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.