Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Can ios 10 be ios x which could decrease gap between ios and mac. Just to make ipad pro more productive. And to really replace PCs ?

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Doubtful. The only way iPad full replaces the "PC" is if the iPad processor is switched out to an Intel x64 and iOS is fully dumped.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I just don't see a ARM processor and an os built for "productivity" (read: email, Internet, word processing) being something that will lead the PC to extinction. Engineers, developers, graphic artists, and anything with high end processing will keep PCs alive for years.

One other note: when Steve Jobs introduced the iPad, he presented it as the in between the smart phone and the PC. It simply was never meant to replace PCs.

Reactions: LordQ

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Doubtful. The only way iPad full replaces the "PC" is if the iPad processor is switched out to an Intel x64 and iOS is fully dumped.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I just don't see a ARM processor and an os built for "productivity" (read: email, Internet, word processing) being something that will lead the PC to extinction. Engineers, developers, graphic artists, and anything with high end processing will keep PCs alive for years.

One other note: when Steve Jobs introduced the iPad, he presented it as the in between the smart phone and the PC. It simply was never meant to replace PCs.

Na... an ARM processor is progressing really fast, iOS might not be using it to its full potential but it will soon rival Intel in its mid-end chips (A9X already challenging the low end Intel chips)

Reactions: Skika
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.