Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoKan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
France
Hi guys,

I updated my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 11.0.1 yesterday, and I noticed an ugly bug (I hope it’s not a feature) in the Photos app. I have also seen it on friends devices, meaning it’s not account or device related.

Most of the pictures I took with an iPhone in another time zone are edited to show a relative time to that time zone.

For example, I was in Japan few years ago, and a picture taken in the afternoon is now displayed as take at midnight. There is no change for pictures taken with a regular camera ; they keep their date and time correctly.

Writing, I mostly want to know if I am the only one with this problem (so far, we are three) and if you know how to fix that (or if I have to wait for Apple to edit that automatically in a new update, or on iCloud).

Thank you for your future answers, and feedback.

Last edited:

LoKan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
France
Me again…

From my tests, the problem appears even when you didn't update to iOS 11.0.1. I asked two friends if they had this problem while using iOS 11 but iCloud Photo Library, and… they have the same issue.

So the problem seems to be an iCloud update the night of the iOS 11.0.1 release.

Anybody noticed this ?

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
As far as I can see, that has been there for ever. Photos, like all time stamps, are UTC. Display is corrected to the current TZ.

LoKan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
France
For me and the 30ish people I asked go check that, it’s new.
Only the iPhone pictures are “corrected”. The ones from my camera are not, and they show the time they were taken, like they are supposed to do.

I called Apple Support, and this is new to them too.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
It adjusted for TZ on 10.3

Your camera stamps with the time it knows. The phone stamps with UTC

LoKan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
France
It adjusted for TZ on 10.3

Your camera stamps with the time it knows. The phone stamps with UTC

Again, it's not right. All the pictures taken with my iPhone before the release of iOS 11.0.1 had the date and time of the place where/when I shot them. Pictures taken since that update still works like that. But all the pictures taken before are now modified.

I hope they have the power to revert that stupid issue !

Reactions: dk001

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Yea, I can confirm this happens on me too on my iPhone.

I think this is a bug iOS-side; on High Sierra, the displayed times are the local times where and when they were taken, not my current device's time zone.

Reactions: thewhitehart

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I’m seeing this issue too. I’ve got 4 iOS wallpapers I downloaded over a year ago suddenly show as being added on Monday this week.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I’m seeing this issue too. I’ve got 4 iOS wallpapers I downloaded over a year ago suddenly show as being added on Monday this week.

Not what we're talking about. What is being seen, and for me I saw it on 10.3 as well, is that the timestamp shown is adjusted to the current TZ. I was showing friends pictures from a Europe trip last month, and they all showed the right date, but 6 hours earlier.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I never noticed this before, but can confirm it’s happening.

Also, I just noticed that all of my reminders that had a specific date/time set have adjusted to the current time zone. Never noticed that before either.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I never noticed this before, but can confirm it’s happening.

Also, I just noticed that all of my reminders that had a specific date/time set have adjusted to the current time zone. Never noticed that before either.
Calendar items have been like that forever. All calendars work like that. Very useful when you travel.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Calendar items have been like that forever. All calendars work like that. Very useful when you travel.
I have the time zone override set for calendars and I could have sworn that the reminder time zones were overridden as well? Anyway, back to the topic...

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
For me and the 30ish people I asked go check that, it’s new.
Only the iPhone pictures are “corrected”. The ones from my camera are not, and they show the time they were taken, like they are supposed to do.

I called Apple Support, and this is new to them too.
I spoke to Apple support about this exact issue a few OS’s back and they send it was intended behaviour. It isn’t new.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Leave it to Apple to screw up something so trivial. I dont give a crap what the time in London (home TZ) was when I took the photo in Tokyo. I want to see the Tokyo time. What a mess. I guess Apple engineers never travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.