Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onVacation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
Hi,

Until a few days ago Safari on my iPad (iOS 11.0.3) had a "Open In..." function for PDFs that could be accessed by tapping the screen once.

I used that to import PDFs in Goodnotes. All of sudden that functions seems to have disappeared.

If I tap the screen now (PDF preview), nothing happens.

I've done the obvious aka restarted, cleared memory, checked for updates and resetted Safari settings but nothing changed it. Does anyone have an idea how I can access that function again?

Not having that s*cks big time. I use my iPad mainly as a digital notepad (that's like 95% of its use) with GoodNotes and now I have to download stuff (for convenience I do that on my PC because it's just easier), upload it to some cloud storage and then import it from there to GoodNotes.

Could anyone give me a hint where to search for solutions? I'm usually a Windows/Android guy for anything except tablets, so when it comes to troubleshooting Apple products im stuck pretty quickly...

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

Until a few days ago Safari on my iPad (iOS 11.0.3) had a "Open In..." function for PDFs that could be accessed by tapping the screen once.

I used that to import PDFs in Goodnotes. All of sudden that functions seems to have disappeared.

If I tap the screen now (PDF preview), nothing happens.

I've done the obvious aka restarted, cleared memory, checked for updates and resetted Safari settings but nothing changed it. Does anyone have an idea how I can access that function again?

Not having that s*cks big time. I use my iPad mainly as a digital notepad (that's like 95% of its use) with GoodNotes and now I have to download stuff (for convenience I do that on my PC because it's just easier), upload it to some cloud storage and then import it from there to GoodNotes.

Could anyone give me a hint where to search for solutions? I'm usually a Windows/Android guy for anything except tablets, so when it comes to troubleshooting Apple products im stuck pretty quickly...

You can just use the normal share button in Safari and send your PDF to any applicable app.

onVacation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
Weird. Is there not a share sheet entry for it, or does the share sheet entry just not work?

There is a share sheet entry and it seems to work at first but it just creates a document with one blank page in GoodNotes.

I don't know the exact reason for that. There seems to be a problem with GoodNotes using its own format or something but in the end the only way to import something from Safari to GoodNotes is to use the "Open In..." function.

Other browsers don't support that either, so I need to find a way to get Safari to show this function again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.