Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your battery life in iOS 11.1 on your device compared to previous releases?

• Much better than 11.0.x, but still not as good as it was in iOS 10.x.x

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Slightly better than in 11.0.x, but still not as good as it was in iOS 10.x.x

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • No different than in iOS 11.0.x

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Better than it has ever been before

Votes: 25 11.2%
  • The worst it has ever been (worse than iOS 11.0.x and 10)

Votes: 48 21.4%

• Total voters

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
What does battery under settings show? What happens after you force quit the apps and restart- do you still get the drain?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What have they told you in the bug report? If you haven't sent one:
https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

Just click VIEW BUG REPORTER and enter your ID/password from Apple. Then complain about the battery. They'll ask you to create 2 logs and send the instructions. Do that and wait for a response.

But before that, try these two procedures:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-issues-since-update.2069726/page-19#post-25205678

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/improve-battery-life-your-iphone-ios-11-0177756/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ios-11-problems/ (read this one, too)
I have just filed a bug report and attached the PLIST AND PSQL,sysdiagnose logs beforehand itself. Lets see what happens

Reactions: Perene

phoenixPadestrian

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2017
I noticed battery drain can be reduced by using alternative apps like:
Youtube -> Tubex
Reddit -> Apollo
Facebook -> Friendly

Instagram and Twitter seems to be okay.

My iPhone 6s had really good battery life up until iOS 10.0.1, this is the problem with locked phones unlike android.

Reactions: decafjava

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And if true, so what? What is the point of saying, "it was just as bad in the past"?
Because there's context to it all given past discussions about these kinds of things when it comes to previous iOS updates and versions, and various users and their devices.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because there's context to it all given past discussions about these kinds of things when it comes to previous iOS updates and versions, and various users and their devices.
iOS 10 was NOT this bad. Stop this lame comparison. iOS 11 is much much worse. Heck on iOS 10 even the home button issue was fixed on iOS 10.3

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 10 was NOT this bad. Stop this lame comparison. iOS 11 is much much worse. Heck on iOS 10 even the home button issue was fixed on iOS 10.3
Perhaps it wasn't that bad for you, or you aren't really recalling what it was like once things got better with later versions, but there were plenty of threads with plenty of people being plenty upset. And, once again, that reply was in the context of those types of issues relating to that user when it comes to past updates. Let's not try to spin this into something else (and suddenly and conveniently downplay things that were overplayed in the early days of iOS 10, as they often are by at least some in the early days of pretty much any new major version).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have a question for the ones who update all the time (because I don't). Are there battery issues in every single iOS version at the beginning? I only updated my iPad 4 to iOS 7.1.2 and it lasted consistently 2 hours less than iOS 6, but I've read here that was due to the design changes that were draining, not due to bugs. I also updated my iPod Touch 4G to iOS 5 but I have no idea how that turned out to be.
I'm running flawlessly initial iOS versions on every single device so cannot comment (iOS 9 on 6s and 9.7 Pro, 10 on 7+, 6 on iPod Touch 5G.)
If the issues are generally present, how long do they generally take to be straightened out? If it is a .3 release that seems too slow.
One more question if the answer is a .3 release: do you recall one iOS update <.1 that had battery life equal to that of the end of the previous version?
Sorry for these questions. I really want to know.

Reactions: macfacts

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I have a question for the ones who update all the time (because I don't). Are there battery issues in every single iOS version at the beginning? I only updated my iPad 4 to iOS 7.1.2 and it lasted consistently 2 hours less than iOS 6, but I've read here that was due to the design changes that were draining, not due to bugs. I also updated my iPod Touch 4G to iOS 5 but I have no idea how that turned out to be.
I'm running flawlessly initial iOS versions on every single device so cannot comment (iOS 9 on 6s and 9.7 Pro, 10 on 7+, 6 on iPod Touch 5G.)
If the issues are generally present, how long do they generally take to be straightened out? If it is a .3 release that seems too slow.
One more question if the answer is a .3 release: do you recall one iOS update <.1 that had battery life equal to that of the end of the previous version?

The problem is, every new OS is made to work with the new iPhone. The older ones, even year old iPhones, lose about an hour of battery life when updating to the new OS. That’s what happened to my 5 when I updated to iOS 7, the the 5s when updated to iOS 8, 6s when I updated to iOS 10 and the 7 Plus when updated to iOS 11. They all lost about an hour of battery life. My 7 Plus lost about 2 hours of battery life. The only phone that worked the same was my 6 on iOS 9. I don’t know if this is done deliberately or it’s just the devs being lazy to optimize the OS. Either way, your battery mileage drops.

No, a .3 release is no better than a .0.1 release. That’s what I’ve experienced. But I set up my devices as new, so there’s nothing crazy running in the background draining my battery. A .3 update however can be faster and more stable than a point .0.1 update.

Hope this helps :)

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
They are never straightened out. Apple just doesn't give 2 ****s about older devices. If you are lucky, even if Apple doesn't optimise it for older devices the battery would last the same otherwise you have to live with that battery life for the remaining useful life of the phone. Unfortunately we seem to have been unlucky with iOS 11.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The problem is, every new OS is made to work with the new iPhone. The older ones, even year old iPhones, lose about an hour of battery life when updating to the new OS. That’s what happened to my 5 when I updated to iOS 7, the the 5s when updated to iOS 8, 6s when I updated to iOS 10 and the 7 Plus when updated to iOS 11. They all lost about an hour of battery life. My 7 Plus lost about 2 hours of battery life. The only phone that worked the same was my 6 on iOS 9. I don’t know if this is done deliberately or it’s just the devs being lazy to optimize the OS. Either way, your battery mileage drops.

No, a .3 release is no better than a .0.1 release. That’s what I’ve experienced. But I set up my devices as new, so there’s nothing crazy running in the background draining my battery. A .3 update however can be faster and more stable than a point .0.1 update.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks both for the answer.
I do believe developer laziness might be happening there. It's like they don't really fully work to optimize updates for anything that's not the current one. It doesn't make sense. Because they expect everyone to update. When I contact support for an issue the first thing they tell me is to update. Of course, I made myself clear that I wouldn't under any circumstances.
I hope, for the ones that don't have the latest device and are on iOS 11, that iOS 11 is the exception to the rule. But results are currently abhorrent, so I don't really think they'll reach first version levels.
About every OS being made for the latest device, I don't think they cannot work to optimize it for older devices. Reduce the processor load and the memory load if devices don't have what's required. I'm no software engineer, but isn't that possible?
I posted in a different thread about updating, and your last point just sums that up perfectly. If it is never gonna work as it did, then why bother to update at all?
The only way I'd be compelled to update is if they guarantee me I won't lose a shred of performance or battery life. That cannot be guaranteed given the current state of things, so I'll just stay where I am. Or, of course, let me roll back to previous versions if I'm unhappy...

They are never straightened out. Apple just doesn't give 2 ****s about older devices. If you are lucky, even if Apple doesn't optimise it for older devices the battery would last the same otherwise you have to live with that battery life for the remaining useful life of the phone. Unfortunately we seem to have been unlucky with iOS 11.
I've read a fair bit here and that seems to be the case. There are various results, some do report battery life being equal, but there are too many people here - who try to measure battery life consistently and care about it, just as I do - that consistently say battery life - and sometimes, performance - decreased.
What you say is key: If it isn't straightened out quickly, we know almost for a fact that it will never be. In fact, it might even gradually decrease.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Except we've seen things get straightened out with later updates comparing to early versions, like in iOS 10.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Thanks both for the answer.
I do believe developer laziness might be happening there. It's like they don't really fully work to optimize updates for anything that's not the current one. It doesn't make sense. Because they expect everyone to update. When I contact support for an issue the first thing they tell me is to update. Of course, I made myself clear that I wouldn't under any circumstances.
I hope, for the ones that don't have the latest device and are on iOS 11, that iOS 11 is the exception to the rule. But results are currently abhorrent, so I don't really think they'll reach first version levels.
About every OS being made for the latest device, I don't think they cannot work to optimize it for older devices. Reduce the processor load and the memory load if devices don't have what's required. I'm no software engineer, but isn't that possible?
I posted in a different thread about updating, and your last point just sums that up perfectly. If it is never gonna work as it did, then why bother to update at all?
The only way I'd be compelled to update is if they guarantee me I won't lose a shred of performance or battery life. That cannot be guaranteed given the current state of things, so I'll just stay where I am. Or, of course, let me roll back to previous versions if I'm unhappy...

I've read a fair bit here and that seems to be the case. There are various results, some do report battery life being equal, but there are too many people here - who try to measure battery life consistently and care about it, just as I do - that consistently say battery life - and sometimes, performance - decreased.
What you say is key: If it isn't straightened out quickly, we know almost for a fact that it will never be. In fact, it might even gradually decrease.

How is your 7 Plus’ battery life on iOS 10?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
How is your 7 Plus’ battery life on iOS 10?
Around 10 hours with mixed usage and no music on the background without Low Power Mode. I've tested it with LPM and I'm getting around 12 hours with LPM from 100% to 0%. I'm happy. How's yours?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Around 10 hours with mixed usage and no music on the background without Low Power Mode. I've tested it with LPM and I'm getting around 12 hours with LPM from 100% to 0%. I'm happy. How's yours?

Man! That’s what I used to get with my 7 Plus on iOS 10. Now it’s 8 hours no music playing. No games.Just using it to browse the web, WhatsApp and YouTube.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Man! That’s what I used to get with my 7 Plus on iOS 10. Now it’s 8 hours no music playing. No games.Just using it to browse the web, WhatsApp and YouTube.
Thanks for illustrating my anti-update post. That's around what I was getting with 6s (non-plus) on iOS 9. It shouldn't be that way. You should have the same battery life. I hope subsequent updates somewhat improve it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I did say "almost".

Manufacture Date: 2014-09-08

To be fair, "almost" would have to be significantly closer to something to be "almost", and in this case it's significantly closer to 3 than it is to 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.