Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I upgraded to 11.2.2 yesterday, and so far my iPad has crashed several times with good battery life left — the screen goes black and shows the plug in to charge graphic. That was yesterday. Today, it crashed as I opened Safari. Is this happening to anybody else?

I noticed with the prior version, 11.2.1, I assume, occasionally I could not open a link on a page in Safari. I had to reload the page in order to then allow the link to open upon pressing the link. What happened especially often with YouTube accessed via Safari. Anybody else seen that before, has anybody seen an improvement in that with 11.2.2? Have not used 11.2.2 enough yet to know if the issue has gone away.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I upgraded to 11.2.2 yesterday, and so far my iPad has crashed several times with good battery life left — the screen goes black and shows the plug in to charge graphic. That was yesterday. Today, it crashed as I opened Safari. Is this happening to anybody else?

I noticed with the prior version, 11.2.1, I assume, occasionally I could not open a link on a page in Safari. I had to reload the page in order to then allow the link to open upon pressing the link. What happened especially often with YouTube accessed via Safari. Anybody else seen that before, has anybody seen an improvement in that with 11.2.2? Have not used 11.2.2 enough yet to know if the issue has gone away.
It shows the battery and charge icon? That doesn't quite seem like just crashing.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Could you elaborate further? Any ideas? Or are you just making a comment? I thought I had read in the recent articles about Apple protecting the prices with an aged battery by shutting off even when having around 28 to 38% remaining battery showing once rebooted. My iPhone 5s would do that frequently, until I had the battery replaced by my local fix it shop.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Could you elaborate further? Any ideas? Or are you just making a comment? I thought I had read in the recent articles about Apple protecting the prices with an aged battery by shutting off even when having around 28 to 38% remaining battery showing once rebooted. My iPhone 5s would do that frequently, until I had the battery replaced by my local fix it shop.
I don’t know what you read but, it has never been implied or proven any iPad has ever had the power management implemented in their operating system. My iPad doesn’t have the issues your describing nor has there been any complaints on this forum about similar issues. My suggestions are: what’s the battery’s capacity(using coconut battery), if it is worn beyond 80% you may want to replace it. If it is above, my suggestion is restore as new using iTunes and don’t use a backup

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's basically what I was trying to get at--it doesn't sound like crashing in the sense of how it's typically applied to iOS where the device usually restarts or at least resprings, but actual shutting down thinking that the battery is empty essentially. The latter sounds like more of a battery related issue of some sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.