Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 11.2.6 causing new battery and shutdown problems?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boba120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Beantown
Up until yesterday, I had no issues with shutdowns or battery life, my battery generally lasting 18-20 hours each day.
Yesterday I updated to 11.2.6 and now I am experiencing problems.

Now, six times my iPhone 6 has shut down after only a couple or three hours.
First time I thought it weird I received no low battery warning and scratched my head.
Then I realized it was happening multiple times after lasting only a couple hours.
Then I suspected that the battery indicator was always saying I had a full battery.

I watched the indicator and one time it showed 100% continuously and 10-15 min. after the last time I looked at it it shut down. I never received a low battery warning.
I watched it closer (after a partial charge to 58%) and it said 58% for 2:55 hours then shut down 30-45 seconds after the last time I looked at it. I verified the %charge with Lirum. I never received a low battery warning.

When plugging it back in to charge, by the time it powers back up it shows 12% to 14%. One time it took 17 min. to charge to 58% from my car usb port and another it took 34 min. to charge to 100% from my computers usb port; so it seems to be charging fine.

With Lirum I find:
iPhone 7,2 hardware model N61AP 64 GB
modem firmware 6.30.4
iOS 11.2.6 build 15D100
design capacity 1810mAh 24,876 Joules full voltage 3.82 v when charged
battery actual max 1200 mAh (was 1700 until yesterday) actual voltage 4.336 v
battery 66.38% (was always over 80%, over 90% when full charge, until yesterday)
Also, I am on T-Mobile 31.1.

It sure seems to me that this rev of the OS has broken something(s):
- it has broken the battery charge % status indicator,
- it has either caused the battery to wear down drastically and suddenly or it is now reporting different (now more correct or more wrong is unknown) statistics,
- and/or it has caused the phone to drain power much more quickly,
- and it has caused the phone to have shutdown problems.

Anyone else experiencing any of this?
Comments appreciated. Possible things to try appreciated.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How many charge cycles has it been through? If your battery capacity is 66% you need a new battery. Battery life on my X has been fabulous.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
How did you update your device? If you OTA update, put device into recovery mode and update again using iTunes to rule out bad OTA possibly corrupt system files causing excessive battery drain

Or restore device if in extreme measure recovery mode didn’t work out

Give it a few hours to re-sync with iCloud if you have iCloud backup. If it still shutdown, you may want to take it to an Apple Store and you probably qualify for battery replacement at least 1448/1810

boba120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Beantown
Your battery capacity is 66%? If that’s the case you need a new battery. Battery life on my X has been fabulous.

I didn't need one until last night!
It was (is) a great battery and lasted all day until I did this update.
I can get the iPhone 6 battery replacement deal but wasn't doing it now because I didn't need it yet.

I hesitate to get the replacement now because I can't be sure it really is the battery.
I don't think it is the battery!
I think the OS is just reading the battery wrong and shutting down prematurely.
Why else yould it last 20 hours yesterday and after updating late last evening only last 2 or 3?

iPhone 6 (at least now with this update does not report the number of charge cycles to Lirum.

[doublepost=1519275110][/doublepost]
How did you update your device? If you OTA update, put device into recovery mode and update again using iTunes to rule out bad OTA possibly corrupt system files causing excessive battery drain

Give it a few hours to re-sync with iCloud if you have iCloud backup. If it still shutdown, you may want to take it to an Apple Store and you probably qualify for battery replacement at least 1448/1810

I went to settings - software update - and said Do It.
OTA? What does that stand for? Recovery Mode?
I have never used iTunes to do an update. I don't use it at all for anything.
Do you have a pointer to instructions or a how to?
Thanks

Last edited:

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I went to settings - software update - and said Do It.
OTA? What does that stand for? Recovery Mode?
I have never used iTunes to do an update. Do you have a pointer to instructions or a how to?
Thanks

OTA means over-the-air as in updating it directly from your device

For iPhone 6, to get into recovery mode you will need to turn off your device and wait till screen is completely off, press and hold down the home button while connecting the device to a comp with iTunes, launch iTunes and do not take your finger off the home until iTunes detect the device is in recovery mode and select update. It will retrieve the latest full update directly from Apple and it will overwrite system files while keeping your data.

On your device, you should see the screen on your device showing to connect to iTunes

boba120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Beantown
OTA means over-the-air as in updating it directly from your device

For iPhone 6, to get into recovery mode you will need to turn off your device and wait till screen is completely off, press and hold down the home button while connecting the device to a comp with iTunes, launch iTunes and do not take your finger off the home until iTunes detect the device is in recovery mode and select update. It will retrieve the latest full update directly from Apple and it will overwrite system files while keeping your data.

On your device, you should see the screen on your device showing to connect to iTunes

Thanks!
I think I'll back it up to the cloud 1st just in case. A do a fresh reboot on my computer too.
Then I'll see what happens. May take until the weekend until I get to it.
I'm a little less than totally optimistic because my computer is an early '08 MacBook Pro maxed out at 10.8.5. lol
Or better yet, maybe I'll ask my wife if I can use her Air.
Thanks again - much!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well for starters. That app is not accurate in gauging battery life. No iOS app is. It’s impossible as Apple hid the information in iOS 10.

Therefore it’s likely your battery health is substantially worse than you think. Download coconut battery on your Mac and plug in your phone. If it’s less than 80% it’s your battery and you need a new one. Not iOS. Batteries can also fail very quickly. It’s just chemicals, the chemical balance can be disturbed.

boba120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Beantown
Well for starters. That app is not accurate in gauging battery life. No iOS app is. It’s impossible as Apple hid the information in iOS 10.

Therefore it’s likely your battery health is substantially worse than you think. Download coconut battery on your Mac and plug in your phone. If it’s less than 80% it’s your battery and you need a new one. Not iOS. Batteries can also fail very quickly. It’s just chemicals, the chemical balance can be disturbed.

That app work with nothing before OS X 10.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.