Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I have a case on my iPhone 8 Plus. It's this vault/wallet case from Silk.

My iPhone has been charging on a "Fast Charge" stand, through the case, with no problems since I bought it a month ago. Obviously, it wasn't using the fast charging feature of the stand but it was charging at the usual iPhone 8 charging speeds.

Since updating to iOS 11.2 my phone doesn't respond to this Qi charger at all. Unless I remove the case.

Has anyone else noticed iOS 11.2 weakening the response of their iPhone with regards to specific Qi chargers?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have a case on my iPhone 8 Plus. It's this vault/wallet case from Silk.

My iPhone has been charging on a "Fast Charge" stand, through the case, with no problems since I bought it a month ago. Obviously, it wasn't using the fast charging feature of the stand but it was charging at the usual iPhone 8 charging speeds.

Since updating to iOS 11.2 my phone doesn't respond to this Qi charger at all. Unless I remove the case.

Has anyone else noticed iOS 11.2 weakening the response of their iPhone with regards to specific Qi chargers?
Ok....the manufacturer of that case really should have said NOT to use it with wireless charging. Have you tried using any of the magnetic strips of your cards that you keep in the back since using wireless charging? Quite possible that they're non-functional now.

Surprised that worked for charging at all....that case looks like it's way too thick to work with Qi charging.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Have you tried using any of the magnetic strips of your cards that you keep in the back since using wireless charging? Quite possible that they're non-functional now. Surprised that worked for charging at all....that case looks like it's way too thick to work with Qi charging.

On iOS 11.1 the wallet worked fine with all my wireless chargers. It still works with the majority of my wireless chargers.
I keep two cards in the wallet - a credit card and my driving license - neither of which has suffered any damage.

Since upgrading to 11.2, all of my puck style chargers (e.g. the PowerBot range) still work completely fine when the case and cards are present. I have another charging stand (Sunguy) which also works fine. However, a single stand (and the only one I have that claims to support Fast Charge) has stopped charging my phone while it's in the case.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I was gonna say the opposite - with the Moxie pad, I've noticed faster charge speeds this morning.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
It's possible that fast charging needs a closer coupling than the regular speed charging, and maybe it is not smart enough to fall back to regular charging if it detects but can't start fast charging. So the thickness of that case might be just at the edge of what would work with normal charging, but too thick for fast.

Also, yeah, really, having your credit cards sandwiched between a high-powered fluctuating magnetic field is not a smart idea. It will demagnetize or scramble the data on the mag strips. Unless you're only using the chip in the card. That might be OK.

Reactions: Mrrogers1992

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Also, yeah, really, having your credit cards sandwiched between a high-powered fluctuating magnetic field is not a smart idea. It will demagnetize or scramble the data on the mag strips. Unless you're only using the chip in the card. That might be OK.

Again, one month in - using Qi charging exclusively - and the magnetic strip on my CC works just fine.

The “fast charging might need closer proximity” idea is an interesting one. As the end user it’s very annoying to have Qi charging working one day and then a software update effectively breaks it. I don’t have any Fast Chargers apart from this one and so now I have one charger fewer.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I connected my iPad charger to my fast charge wireless charging stand last night and it did indeed charge faster than with my iPhone charger.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
They really need implement whether or not it's fast charging like on Androids. Can't be that difficult surely..

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I was gonna say the opposite - with the Moxie pad, I've noticed faster charge speeds this morning.
I use the Morphie charger and noticed it charges significantly faster after update.
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless-charging-base

The only thing I do not like ( or rather, I'm not used to ) is placement matters. If I slide the iPhone up an inch on the pad, charging rate slows down or stops altogether. If placed in the sweet spot it fills the battery bar up at an alarming rate.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'd say 11.2 improved wireless charging for my 8+
I don't have a fast charging pad, but before 11.2 the Belkin pad I have at home sometimes had problem charging the phone, while now I can charge it up to the maximum and it doesn't overheat. Even at office with another pad I had problems in the past, the phone stopped charging randomly, and I didn't experience anything like that after installing 11.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.