Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
I have a 2017 iPad. It is running the latest 11.3.1 iOS. I use my iPhone SE’s hotspot (iOS 11.2.6) as my main internet source. After I accidentally updated to 11.3.1 update the iphone generally fails to appear in the wifi list. After a network reset it appears and Bluetooth connection is mostly possible. My iPad mini running iOS 10.3.3 sees the iPhone’s hotspot.

Any help resolving this would be highly appreciated.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
I should have mentioned that I have logged out and in of my iCloud account on iPad and iPhone. It seemed to fix it for a while but then reverted back to its recalcitrant state. I can connect if I switch iPhone hotspot and iPad wifi off and on.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Dear Diary,

Tried logging out and back in in both iPad and iPhone. Now see iPhone in wifi, but keep on getting the dreaded “Remote Hotspot Failure” which from my experience is normal iOS 11 behaviour.

After 6 attempts and turning hotspot and wifi off and on again, I finally connected. Undoubtedly the iPhone wil eventually disappear from the wifi list again.

It seems the only time I can get a reliable hotspot connection is when an unwanted software update is wasting my money and mobile data.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
All you have to do is toggle hotspot off then back on on your iPhone. I have never had a problem with hotspot that couldn't be fixed without just a simple toggle.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
All you have to do is toggle hotspot off then back on on your iPhone. I have never had a problem with hotspot that couldn't be fixed without just a simple toggle.

Thanks Mr Mirollin for the helpful advice. Apple’s hotspot has always been difficult but it just seems far harder to connect with the latest version of iOS. The hotspot toggle generally failed when the hotspot failed to appear in the wifi list. As I said, a network reset was necessary to make it reappear, but disconnect and another network reset would be necessary. I have since logged out and back in on both devices and the hotspot appears again, so it would appear to be iCloud related.

I just wish Apple would get it together with the hotspot. A device won’t automatically connect to an Apple hotspot so consumers don’t get their mobile data wasted, but it will connect automatically to download an iOS update and we all know big they can be. If iOS Wifi performance was as bad as the hotspot, there would an outrage. As I said, the hotspot is my main source of internet.

Given that this appears to be an isolated event, I am thinking maybe I should reinstall the os.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
This happened to me when I first upgraded to iOS 11. My iPhone wouldn't show up in the "Personal Hotspot" list. I always had to turn it on manually on the iPhone first. What eventually solved it for me was logging out of iCloud on both the iPad and iPhone. I know you did that but it may be worth a shot again but make sure you sign into your iPhone FIRST and then into the iPad.

I haven't had a problem since and I'm on 11.3.1 on both my iPad and iPhone.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
This happened to me when I first upgraded to iOS 11. My iPhone wouldn't show up in the "Personal Hotspot" list. I always had to turn it on manually on the iPhone first. What eventually solved it for me was logging out of iCloud on both the iPad and iPhone. I know you did that but it may be worth a shot again but make sure you sign into your iPhone FIRST and then into the iPad.

I haven't had a problem since and I'm on 11.3.1 on both my iPad and iPhone.

Same here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.