Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Please move if not appropriate section.
My iPhone 8 seems to be crashing every iTunes I use to restore backup or restore and set up as new. USB logo and apple logo showing. Phone wont go into DFU mode or restore.

Hardware:
rMBP 2015- 10.10.5
iMac 2009- 10.9 something
iPhone 8 32GB VZW

On rMBP, I did this.
Updated to iOS 11.3 via iTunes. Update around 75% crashed iTunes *no error code*
Tried again, same result.
Upgraded iTunes to newest version, same result.
Tried Option restoring last IPSW before 11.3, same result.
No error Code given.

On 2009 iMac
Updated iTunes, downloaded new 11.3 IPSW from apple.
Attempted restore again, phone reaches same 75%, iTunes crashes with error code 1 now.
Repeat most of the above steps, still no success.

After 2 visits to the apple store today, and each time they were able to restore it, I still have this phone and am now terrified to plug it in. The guy during the second store visit kept blaming the software *itunes and the IPSW file* yet i downloaded multiple versions to try with and failed.

They *set aside* another iPhone 8 to swap *in case* this happens again.
My question is:
Where is the problem? The phone? or the two computers that tried to restore said phone and keep crashing?
Idk what to do now, guess ill update OTA and never through iTunes and never backup to computer.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Since you're attempting to DFU/restore, you can try this. Make sure you update to the latest iTunes 12.7.4. You don't need to restore using IPSW since iOS 11.3 is officially released.

For iPhone 8, you can get into recovery mode by holding down home button while device is off then connect it to the mac. You will see the iTunes logo on the device and iTunes will recognize the device in recovery mode to update or restore to latest iOS 11.3.

Or DFU mode for iPhone 8, this is the easiest way to get into it by connect the device to mac while the device is on. Quickly press and release volume up, volume down then hold side/power till screen turns dark. Once it turns dark, keep holding home + volume down for 5 secs then release side/power after 5 secs but keep holding the volume down till iTunes recognize the device.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Since you're attempting to DFU/restore, you can try this. Make sure you update to the latest iTunes 12.7.4. You don't need to restore using IPSW since iOS 11.3 is officially released.

For iPhone 8, you can get into recovery mode by holding down home button while device is off then connect it to the mac. You will see the iTunes logo on the device and iTunes will recognize the device in recovery mode to update or restore to latest iOS 11.3.

Or DFU mode for iPhone 8, this is the easiest way to get into it by connect the device to mac while the device is on. Quickly press and release volume up, volume down then hold side/power till screen turns dark. Once it turns dark, keep holding home + volume down for 5 secs then release side/power after 5 secs but keep holding the volume down till iTunes recognize the device.
Yeah dude I think you missed the part where I said it won't go into DFU, only recovery.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Yeah dude I think you missed the part where I said it won't go into DFU, only recovery.

I understand you but are you pressing the right button sequence for DFU mode? Timing is a must for DFU mode. The steps I gave is the easiest way and there's other ways to get into DFU mode.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
I understand you but are you pressing the right button sequence for DFU mode? Timing is a must for DFU mode. The steps I gave is the easiest way and there's other ways to get into DFU mode.
I know the sequence, hence why i mentioned it, and have a program that does it for me, the point is iTunes is crashing on both computers and i cannot get the phone back to operating status.

Tallfish0919

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014

What are the other ways to get into DFU mode with the iPhone 8/8+ and X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.