Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallenapple99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
before iOS 11.3 my iPhone X worked flawlessly. No issues at all. After upgrading to 11.3 I have the following issues. Unable to answer calls and screen is unresponsive. Today it played music when I tried to answer. I can only reply to text w/o unlocking sometimes as the keyboard does not appear. Unlocked when not in the text app I can’t see the bottom of messages as the keyboard blocks the message and I cannot scroll up to see the text. The only way I can see it is in the text app. It also randomly locks up. These are just the issues that come to mind right now. Before 11.3 my phone worked flawlessly, now its fast becoming unusable.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So downgrade. While you can.

Some hardware issues occur randomly but coincidentally with any specific activity, upgrades included, so you can't really rule out a problem with the phone itself.

Reactions: fallenapple99

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
@simonsi said it is your last chance to downgrade before Apple stops allowing it.

It sounds like possible software issue. Did you OTA update? You may try to put device into recovery mode by connecting to device to iTunes while device is powered on, quickly press volume up, volume down and hold power till iTunes detect it is in recovery mode and hit "Update" to re-install 11.3 while retaining all your personal data.

fallenapple99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
@simonsi said it is your last chance to downgrade before Apple stops allowing it.

It sounds like possible software issue. Did you OTA update? You may try to put device into recovery mode by connecting to device to iTunes while device is powered on, quickly press volume up, volume down and hold power till iTunes detect it is in recovery mode and hit "Update" to re-install 11.3 while retaining all your personal data.

I’ve never synced to iTunes via pc. Mainly because iTunes refused to sync with my iPhone 7 Plus so I just did an OTA sync. Would this cause me to lose all my data?

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
iCloud backups don't save everything, best to get into the habit of doing a sync and a backup to your computer now and then, especially before a big update just in case. If your still having issues with doing that then try reinstalling iTunes with latest version and using a different USB port perhaps.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Sync backup would only backup ‘everything’ if there’s a password entered for encrypted backup.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta

im trying this on my device now. Does this reinstall a fresh copy of the iOS basically?

9zero8

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion! I was having performance problems as well and doing an update from restore mode seems to have fixed it.

Reactions: atlchamp

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I wonder what else could be causing those issues for you? I have had no issues at all with 11.3 on my iPhone X. Knocking on wood of course. Did you check battery and data usage to see if any rogue apps might be running in the background?

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion! I was having performance problems as well and doing an update from restore mode seems to have fixed it.

That could well fix issues even without downgrading some times.

I'm still on the last public 10.3 beta and it's been working fine on my X. Will wait till at least public beta 2 before going on 10.4 however.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That could well fix issues even without downgrading some times.

I'm still on the last public 10.3 beta and it's been working fine on my X. Will wait till at least public beta 2 before going on 10.4 however.

That afraid of issues you’re staying on public beta that works well? I honesty
Don’t blame ya haha. If it ain’t broken. iOS 11 has been. A wild card

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
So many thing can affect an uneventful firmware upgrade, especially with increasing 3rd party apps, let alone particular user induced situations. Gremlins and the challenge of beta testing.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I’ve noticed many similar issues on my 7 Plus. Safari in particular seems to be having issues. I often have to reload the page because I can’t scroll or click links.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I’ve noticed many similar issues on my 7 Plus. Safari in particular seems to be having issues. I often have to reload the page because I can’t scroll or click links.

Check that Javascript is still on - if it looks on, toggle it off and on again.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
So many thing can affect an uneventful firmware upgrade, especially with increasing 3rd party apps, let alone particular user induced situations. Gremlins and the challenge of beta testing.

3rd party apps are sandboxxed and should not affect the OS. The "gremlins" are all from iOS.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Check that Javascript is still on - if it looks on, toggle it off and on again.

You’re right. I found that it was off. But I thought it’s always been that way and I never noticed problems before. Turning it on seems to have fixed some of the behavioural issues I was seeing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.