Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having touch ID issues? Since 11.4.1 I've got a 60% fail rate☹️ iPhone 8+
It’s time for you to redo your scan. The skin on fingers changes over time and the sensor needs a new scan. It has nothing to do with the update.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Is anyone else having touch ID issues? Since 11.4.1 I've got a 60% fail rate☹️ iPhone 8+
I saw no difference in performance after the update on my touchid devices (which is 40% fail rate). I work with my hands for a living and touchid has always been awful for me even registering multiple prints for the same finger or multiple fingers/thumbs. Sounds like you have an issue. Try and erase all the prints and start with fresh scan of your prints to see if it clears up

Reactions: TheByteSmasher

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Changed over 2 months? That seems unlikely. I bought this one 2 months ago
Yes, skin can change over 2 months. Temperature changes etc. has large impact on the skin. Doing some real hard work with your hands can also affect scanning. I go to the gym a lot and it affects how much I need to redo my scan.
The tecnical in scanning doesn’t change–it’s skin realed for sure!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It’s time for you to redo your scan. The skin on fingers changes over time and the sensor needs a new scan. It has nothing to do with the update.

Yes, skin can change over 2 months. Temperature changes etc. has large impact on the skin. Doing some real hard work with your hands can also affect scanning. I go to the gym a lot and it affects how much I need to redo my scan.
The tecnical in scanning doesn’t change–it’s skin realed for sure!
To be fair, I deal with a few Touch ID devices where I've done my fingerprint scans at least about 1.5 years ago, and haven't had to update those since then, nor have noticed Touch ID working any worse over time.

Not sure if someone had Touch ID working just fine all along and suddenly noticed a noticeable change right after an update that it would be "skin related".

That said, if Touch ID isn't working well once of the troubleshooting steps would be to redo the scans.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I deal with a few Touch ID devices where I've done my fingerprint scans at least about 1.5 years ago, and haven't had to update those since then, nor have noticed Touch ID working any worse over time.

Not sure if someone had Touch ID working just fine all along and suddenly noticed a noticeable change right after an update that it would be "skin related".

That said, if Touch ID isn't working well once of the troubleshooting steps would be to redo the scans.
Good for you, but the majority of people have normal skin on their fingers which changes over time.
I honestly don’t believe that there was any change in the Touch ID code between 11.4 and 11.4.1.
My iPad Pro read my fingers no differently after the update.
Remember, washing your hands and not drying them thorougly is enough for having problems with Touch ID. The same goes for sweaty hands. Too many people tend to have problems that has a natural explanation but instead of acting rational people start screaming ”There’s something wrong with this update”—truly sad!

Last edited:

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Any one else having wifi problems with this update? Ever since the update both my iPhones and iPad are having trouble refreshing pages in Safari, Facebook and the email app. All work perfectly through cellular connection but not Wifi. Seems to start off ok but then deteriorates over time.

Have reinstalled through iTunes restore (then added my backup, so not as new), also removed wifi account and re-establiched and I have reset settings but still having the problem.

A second iPad that was not updated is working ok on Wifi, so I assume it must be the update.

I’ve noticed the same on my Air 2, usually disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi improves it, but then it gets worse again over time...
Other devices on 11.4.1 seem ok, which is strange.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Good for you, but the majority of people have normal skin on their fingers which changes over time.
I honestly don’t believe that there was any change in the Touch ID code between 11.4 and 11.4.1.
My iPad Pro read my fingers no differently after the update.
Remember, washing your hands and not drying them thorougly is enough for having problems with Touch ID. The same goes for sweaty hands.
There likely wasn't any change, but something odd can happen with updates here and there as there are certainly a variety of people that have one issue or another after some updates in particular while many others don't. There wasn't really any implication that there's some sort of a widespread issue in relation to this or that something in fact was changed in relation to Touch ID. At the same time, it seems that it's not necessarily all that likely that it's something due to some skin changes, in particular when we are talking about a very short period of time that was mentioned by the user and when the changes became apparent only with an update. That said, once again, part of troubleshooting something like that is to redo the scans in any case basically to see if that helps.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
There likely wasn't any change, but something odd can happen with updates here and there as there are certainly a variety of people that have one issue or another after some updates in particular while many others don't. There wasn't really any implication that there's some sort of a widespread issue in relation to this or that something in fact was changed in relation to Touch ID. At the same time, it seems that it's not necessarily all that likely that it's something due to some skin changes, in particular when we are talking about a very short period of time that was mentioned by the user and when the changes became apparent only with an update. That said, once again, part of troubleshooting something like that is to redo the scans in any case basically to see if that helps.
As I said, there’s most likely a natural explanation to this ”problem”, like sweaty hands. Try drying your hands before going through the trouble of deleting and re-scanning your fingers.

TheByteSmasher

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
Atlantis
As I said, there’s most likely a natural explanation to this ”problem”, like sweaty hands. Try drying your hands before going through the trouble of deleting and re-scanning your fingers.
I redid all the scans. It's work fine again. What I think happened, after all of this conversation is a combination of everyone's beliefs. The season changed and my hands got dryer. Thank you all for your input.

Reactions: Mr$tone

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
Battery started out great first day. Now it’s actually worse on my SE. I think it was good because I cleared every app from the background and then re-opened apps as the days have gone on. Now my battery drains like people said theirs did on 11.4 (which I ironically never had a problem with battery wise).

I do think the speed is better, haven’t had the same hiccups and lag skips (especially the home screen).

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Is it finally safe to upgrade? I've been on 10.3.3 for nearly a year now lol. I plan on restoring as new and selectively recovering my data, so I probably won't have to worry about the issues related to restoring from backups?

Last edited:

TheNukie

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2018
Is it finally safe to upgrade? I've been on 10.3.3 for over a year now lol. I plan on restoring as new and selectively recovering my data, so I probably won't have to worry about the issues related to restoring from backups?
Stay there, dont update, wait for iOS12

Reactions: viperGTS

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
What helps more than redoing (deleting old ones and registering new) fingerprint scans all over again is to keep your old scans and just put your finger on the TouchID, even if slow, it detects your finger correctly and updates the old scan instead of making a new one.
When my iPhone was new, I had experienced slow or unrecognized scans with changing seasons because of wet/dry hands, I guess over the period of time TouchID learns al possible types.
Same goes for FaceID where it learns different variations of your face over the time.

I redid all the scans. It's work fine again. What I think happened, after all of this conversation is a combination of everyone's beliefs. The season changed and my hands got dryer. Thank you all for your input.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Stay there, dont update, wait for iOS12
That’s not a very constructive advice.
First of all—11.4.1 is a very solid version of iOS.
Second of all (and by far the most important reason)—there are so many security reasons not to keep using an old version of iOS.
For those two reasons alone you should update—for sure!

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Second of all (and by far the most important reason)—there are so many security reasons not to keep using an old version of iOS.

Not to mention that the trend for the past several years is that the initial .0 release of a new iOS update tends to be buggy and/or unstable. iOS 11.4.1 is as near as perfect as iOS 11 can be. I expect the 12.0 release won’t be.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Not to mention that the trend for the past several years is that the initial .0 release of a new iOS update tends to be buggy and/or unstable. iOS 11.4.1 is as near as perfect as iOS 11 can be. I expect the 12.0 release won’t be.

Consensus seems to be that I should update. I'm just worried about performance compared to iOS 10. Though, my phone has started to act weird lately and I think a restore will bring it back to normal.

Also, good point about the trend. 11.4.1 will probably run better than 12.0... I plan on getting an Apple Watch series 4 though, so I'll have to update immediately to be able to use it.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Seems battery life is a bit worse on this compared to 11.4.0 on my X, and that was slightly worse than some of the .3s. The phone has also seems to be running a little hotter now and then.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Based on the feedback about iOS 12 betas so far (as in early betas basically), it seems that plenty are quite happy with iOS 12, potentially even more than iOS 11 (even the latest released version of it).

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Consensus seems to be that I should update. I'm just worried about performance compared to iOS 10. Though, my phone has started to act weird lately and I think a restore will bring it back to normal.

Also, good point about the trend. 11.4.1 will probably run better than 12.0... I plan on getting an Apple Watch series 4 though, so I'll have to update immediately to be able to use it.

You should find videos on YouTube with comparisons between 10.3.3 and 11.4.1. But you don’t have to worry about performance, it runs very smooth on my SE, with great battery life. If you update, be sure to do it via iTunes, not OTA. It is recommended to do this every time if possible. If it is not possible to update like this every time, be sure to do it for every major update (from 9.x to 10.x or from 10.x to 11.x)

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the feedback about iOS 12 betas so far (as in early betas basically), it seems that plenty are quite happy with iOS 12, potentially even more than iOS 11 (even the latest released version of it).
Honestly I think people are impressed by the speed, but if you analyze the iOS 12 thread you will see that there are many problems as well, just as with all .0 versions.
Besides speed compared to iOS 12, 11.4.1 is rock solid and is much more a better upgrade from 10.3.3—for sure!
Also worth a note is that 11.4.1 is much speedier than 11.4, but 12 users don’t see that since they mostly upgraded from 11.4, i.e. they have not used 11.4.1.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Honestly I think people are impressed by the speed, but if you analyze the iOS 12 thread you will see that there are many problems as well, just as with all .0 versions.
Besides speed compared to iOS 12, 11.4.1 is rock solid and is much more a better upgrade from 10.3.3—for sure!
Also worth a note is that 11.4.1 is much speedier than 11.4, but 12 users don’t see that since they mostly upgraded from 11.4, i.e. they have not used 11.4.1.
Actually I did run 11.4 1 on a 6s for a while (all the betas) and I couldn't see much difference in speed between 12 and 11.4.1. Maybe on some older devices like 5s or 6 it may be more noticeable. However iOS 12.0 has been pretty solid for me too without really any issues (Verizon and Qualcomm chip) since b3 and all the apps I happen to use work fine now which wasn't the case early on. I suspect 12.0 release will be a lot less buggy than previous x.0 releases based on how well its worked with betas so far, (at least for older devices). Oddly enough, the iPX seems to have the most issues with it so far.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I did run 11.4 1 on a 6s for a while (all the betas) and I couldn't see much difference in speed between 12 and 11.4.1. Maybe on some older devices like 5s or 6 it may be more noticeable. However iOS 12.0 has been pretty solid for me too without really any issues (Verizon and Qualcomm chip) since b3 and all the apps I happen to use work fine now which wasn't the case early on. I suspect 12.0 release will be a lot less buggy than previous x.0 releases based on how well its worked with betas so far, (at least for older devices). Oddly enough, the iPX seems to have the most issues with it so far.
Note taken and well said.
However, the user asking for advice is currently hanging on to 10.3.3 since he/she wants the most solid iOS version. In that case 11.4.1 is a better advice than iOS 12.0 no matter that iOS 12 is more solid than 11.0 was when beta testing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There would definitely be issues with early betas, let alone for a x.0 release, but overall seems like people are fairly impressed certainly by performance but even by stability to some degree, especially in the context of a beta.

I personally can't say that 11.4.1 is really any noticeably different from 11.4 for a few devices that I deal with on a daily basis. There are certainly some that have had issues with 11.4 in one sense or another and perhaps 11.4.1 addresses them in some way and that might be the change that some are seeing. It's also worth to be said that there have been some reports of issues seeing some lag on their devices with 11.4.1, so, as is pretty much usually the case, the experience differs there too when it comes to different people/devices.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Note taken and well said.
However, the user asking for advice is currently hanging on to 10.3.3 since he/she wants the most solid iOS version. In that case 11.4.1 is a better advice than iOS 12.0 no matter that iOS 12 is more solid than 11.0 was when beta testing.
Agreed. 11.4.1 seems to be fine and certainly more secure than 10.3.3 and probably more stable than 12.0 currently. I was more responding to your comment regarding the speed of 12 verses 11.4.1 and folks using 12 not knowing about 11.4.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.