Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I have an iPad running the latest version of iOS 11.4.1

While using it, the screen suddenly turned black. You can tell the backlight is still on, but the screen itself is blank blackness.

The iPad still responds to the power button (that is, pressing it once turns off the screen backlight, pressing it again turns the backlight back on)

I forced it to restart by pressing the home button + power at the same time. When I start it up again, I can't tell if it finished booting. There's no Apple logo, or anything. Just a black screen (with the blacklight on).

I plug it into my computer. It asks me to authorize access to this computer by entering the passcode on my iPad. Of course, I can't do this since I can't use the screen.
[doublepost=1531428152][/doublepost]Going into "Find my iPhone" on the web shows that the iPad in question is powered off and unavailable.

And even though the iPad responds to the power button, it doesn't respond to the magnetic cover opening the closing.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
You can try this. Turn off the device and make sure no backlight. Hold down the home button and connect it to the computer but do not release the home till iTunes recognize the device in recovery mode. While in recovery mode, check the iPad screen if it shows a connect iTunes screen. You can attempt to "Update" the device and check the device again to see if the screen turns on.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
You can try this. Turn off the device and make sure no backlight. Hold down the home button and connect it to the computer but do not release the home till iTunes recognize the device in recovery mode. While in recovery mode, check the iPad screen if it shows a connect iTunes screen. You can attempt to "Update" the device and check the device again to see if the screen turns on.

I was able to go into recovery mode. There was no Connect to iTunes logo, but I was able to see that it was in recovery mode from iTunes on my computer.

I did try to update it again. That went successfully, but there's still nothing on the screen

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Same here. iPad Pro won't charge after 11.4.1 update. I tried every trick in the boo, inclduing taking it to Apple. Thery said it muts. a hardware problem. I beg to differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.