Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Started with a perfectly good working iPhone 6 on IOS 11.3, apple pushed the 11.4 update and I said ok. I tried from the phone and the update failed, connect to iTunes. Connected to iTunes and it said try update and if fails try restore. Tried both, got the same result. White screen at apple logo with progress bar that never makes any progress. Shows none at all. iTunes says Verifying iPhone restore and never gets past that. Stuck at the end of verifying the restore.

Tried DFU, tried cold boot.I've been using iPhone since 2008. I wrote code with the first jailbreak, I've been around. Can't believe DFU didn't fix it..... Making this thread for anyone else that has the issue, because I'm looking for others ideas while I fix it. Software is stuck in verifying.

20180531_223616.jpg

\\EDIT: Notes on the issue. How to resolve.

- Delete software update from iTunes folder.

- Clear cache
  1. Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
  2. Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
  3. Go into each of the folders and clean out everything.

- reboot Mac

- DFU mode for iPhone

- Recovery mode, restore

- Update iPhone

**Hope this helps someone else :)

Last edited:

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I was about to let it do its thing, thanks for the reminder to do a backup first.

I’ve been rolling the dice performing the updates without backing up with iTunes first. Luck runs out.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
well I've had no luck. Its basically stuck in 'press home to upgrade' and it will try to upgrade that never finishes. I am able with effort to get it into recovery mode with iTunes connect screen but while iTunes finds it and attempts to update (or recover), when the iPad reacts to iTunes commands, iTunes gives up with an error 9 that it lost communication.

arrrgh

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
well I've had no luck. Its basically stuck in 'press home to upgrade' and it will try to upgrade that never finishes. I am able with effort to get it into recovery mode with iTunes connect screen but while iTunes finds it and attempts to update (or recover), when the iPad reacts to iTunes commands, iTunes gives up with an error 9 that it lost communication.

arrrgh
It won't restore until you are in dfu mode. Blank Black screen. Must be plugged in to the computer to achieve a direct connection to itunes in dfu. Going into dfu on the wall jack then plugging into itunes can force a cold boot out of dfu. Dfu cannot be achieved without being plugged in.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
It won't restore until you are in dfu mode. Blank Black screen. Must be plugged in to the computer to achieve a direct connection to itunes in dfu. Going into dfu on the wall jack then plugging into itunes can force a cold boot out of dfu. Dfu cannot be achieved without being plugged in.

yeah I've tried dfu mode too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.