Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
For those of you using the new iOS 11 on the iPad, how are the anew features and dvances changing real-worl productivity of the iPad?

Does it really fix the blockers to workflow and make it a useful device? Can you drop your laptop? What still doesn't work using the iPad?

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The biggest iOS 11 improvement for me on the iPad is a “smarter” keyboard, so we do not need to switch between numbers/letters all the time and the new dock, making it much easier to pull up the apps we use frequently. Not all the apps support the split-screen mode, though. The Files should be helpful too, once they mature and get wider support from third party apps.

For iPad as a computer replacement, it all depends on your personal use and workflow. I have used an iPad as my main computing device since iOS 8, but others in my household absolutely need a physical keyboard & mouse/trackpad to be able to work effectively.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I have been using iOS 11 for 5 weeks now and I have to tell you that the workflows are better but still no where near where they could/should be.

One example is the Files app. While iCloud files/folders are treated as first class citizens, Dropbox and others, even other local iPad apps, are treated as the bottom of the barrel. Different layout, difficult navigation, distinct / limited workflow options. This is Apple! We expect better.

Another example is PDF workflows. Apple has not put any option to shrink the size of PDFs (a la MacOS Preview). If you print a website using reader mode with dark background, as PDF or actually print out, the system prints the dark background (wtf) not recognizing it’s just a display/dark mode think. The new “create PDF” option has great potential but currently has no pagination option/settings. Any webpage turns into a long, single strip... at least the thumbnail should be the first screen/page, not a strip.

No doubt iOS 11 is a move in the right direction. But we still have ways to go.

Reactions: BWhaler

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have been using iOS 11 for 5 weeks now and I have to tell you that the workflows are better but still no where near where they could/should be.

One example is the Files app. While iCloud files/folders are treated as first class citizens, Dropbox and others, even other local iPad apps, are treated as the bottom of the barrel. Different layout, difficult navigation, distinct / limited workflow options. This is Apple! We expect better.

Another example is PDF workflows. Apple has not put any option to shrink the size of PDFs (a la MacOS Preview). If you print a website using reader mode with dark background, as PDF or actually print out, the system prints the dark background (wtf) not recognizing it’s just a display/dark mode think. The new “create PDF” option has great potential but currently has no pagination option/settings. Any webpage turns into a long, single strip... at least the thumbnail should be the first screen/page, not a strip.

No doubt iOS 11 is a move in the right direction. But we still have ways to go.

Part of the pain of running a beta is all of the 3rd party integrations and app updates don’t hit until its available to the public at large (in the fall) - Apple has given full Files app integrations to developers and you should expect to see Dropbox, Google Drive and the others have the same exact great UI and features of iCloud Drive in the fall. I‘d expect the full power of iOS 11 won’t be realized until those apps are updated along with all of the wonderful Drag and Drop features hit 3rd party apps.

Edit: Thankfully the Files app is backwards compatible with the old document picker and that’s why you see the other apps in there that haven’t been updated yet.

Reactions: BWhaler

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Part of the pain of running a beta is all of the 3rd party integrations and app updates don’t hit until its available to the public at large (in the fall) - Apple has given full Files app integrations to developers and you should expect to see Dropbox, Google Drive and the others have the same exact great UI and features of iCloud Drive in the fall. I‘d expect the full power of iOS 11 won’t be realized until those apps are updated along with all of the wonderful Drag and Drop features hit 3rd party apps.

Edit: Thankfully the Files app is backwards compatible with the old document picker and that’s why you see the other apps in there that haven’t been updated yet.

I hope we see full support for files. I worry apps like Dropbox which haven't support in-line open and save for years now will not support iOS 11 files functionality or because of the poor economics of the app business, updates will be slow or non-existent. Fingers crossed....

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I would add that the “Dock” at the bottom of the screen on the iPad is a great productivity enhancer in not only do you have the ablility to put more Apps in it, but the three latest used apps to the right of the bar are very handy as well.

Although some people are having issues with the multitasking on the iPad, I’m not one of them. I happen to like it quite a bit. The ability to have two apps open at once and drag and drop items between them is very handy indeed. I’ll admit that it isn’t perfect now, but we’re still in beta and I look forward to it becoming better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.