Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
Has anyone ever pondered why Apple today in its most recent iOS update which is iOS 11 has removed most of the uniqueness that was superior to iOS ?

Right from its creation features like slide to unlock which made it easy to unlock your iOS device with just a power button slide to unlock and your passcode and you're right in but these days you'd have to click home button even after pressing your power button especially older iPhone devices where your Touch ID functionality doesn't seems to be accurate most of the time due to sweat and other things.

Second of all is the old signal bar which was very unique to iOS Apple brought back the old iOS signal that was peculiar to very old iOS 3,4,5&6..

Apple is playing catch up on us all they want to render older devices totally useless with the new iOS updates they aren't updating iOS putting into consideration the older devices they only in focus about the newer devices .

At this point I can say that ios 11 was built in consideration to the new iPhone x and nothing else trust me both the new control center and signal bar on iOS 11 was built because of the iPhone 10 where the top notch of the iPhone 10 took a lot of space

Hence no space for the old signal bar and also the control center on iPhone 10 if you notice you'll have to swipe down from the right edge of the screen to get into it .. this was all tricks built in consideration for iPhone 10 and that's why the new updates doesn't seem to work smooth on iOS older devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: LA_LEE and macfacts

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
With notched iPhones being the only options from next year, it makes poor business sense to optimise iOS for the older iPhones with home buttons. Its better to optimise it for iPhone X so the next year's iPhones benefit as well.

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
Yeah my point is you don't just ignore the older devices entirely and not considering things like speed and all of that after all the older devices were once optimized for iOS properly.

With notched iPhones being the only options from next year, it makes poor business sense to optimise iOS for the older iPhones with home buttons. Its better to optimise it for iPhone X so the next year's iPhones benefit as well.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Have anyone ever pondered why Apple today in its most recent iOS update which is iOS 11 has removed most of the uniqueness that was superior to iOS right from its creation features like slide to unlock which made it easy to unlock your iOS device with just a power button slide to unlock and your passcode and you're right in but these days you'd have to click home button even after pressing your power button especially older iPhone devices where your Touch ID functionality doesn't seems to be accurate most of the time due to sweat and other things , second of all is the old signal bar which was very unique to iOS Apple brought back the old iOS signal that was peculiar to very old iOS 3,4,5&6.. Apple is playing catch up on us all they want to render older devices totally useless with the new iOS updates they aren't updating iOS putting into consideration the older devices they only in focus about the newer devices . At this point I can say that ios 11 was built in consideration to the new iPhone x and nothing else trust me both the new control center and signal bar on iOS 11 was built because of the iPhone 10 where the top notch of the iPhone 10 took a lot of space and hence no space for the old signal bar and also the control center on iPhone 10 if you notice you'll have to swipe down from the right edge of the screen to get into it .. this was all tricks built in consideration for iPhone 10 and that's why the new updates doesn't seem to work smooth on iOS older devices.

Good God(c) man, please use punctuation and paragraphs...that’s bloody hard work to read (I gave up)!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have anyone ever pondered why Apple today in its most recent iOS update which is iOS 11 has removed most of the uniqueness that was superior to iOS right from its creation features like slide to unlock which made it easy to unlock your iOS device with just a power button slide to unlock and your passcode and you're right in but these days you'd have to click home button even after pressing your power button especially older iPhone devices where your Touch ID functionality doesn't seems to be accurate most of the time due to sweat and other things , second of all is the old signal bar which was very unique to iOS Apple brought back the old iOS signal that was peculiar to very old iOS 3,4,5&6.. Apple is playing catch up on us all they want to render older devices totally useless with the new iOS updates they aren't updating iOS putting into consideration the older devices they only in focus about the newer devices . At this point I can say that ios 11 was built in consideration to the new iPhone x and nothing else trust me both the new control center and signal bar on iOS 11 was built because of the iPhone 10 where the top notch of the iPhone 10 took a lot of space and hence no space for the old signal bar and also the control center on iPhone 10 if you notice you'll have to swipe down from the right edge of the screen to get into it .. this was all tricks built in consideration for iPhone 10 and that's why the new updates doesn't seem to work smooth on iOS older devices.
Slide to unlock was removed in iOS 10 about a year ago (which has already been debated beyond death in many threads since then). Seems like the basics of the conspiracy theory are already off from the very beginning, undermining it all from the get go.

Reactions: decafjava

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
Done that reviewed the thread accurately , you can read and comprehend now
Good God(c) man, please use punctuation and paragraphs...that’s bloody hard work to read (I gave up)!
[doublepost=1508688165][/doublepost]Done that reviewed the thread accurately , you can read and comprehend now

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In the last few days Apple is getting a lot of criticism because of their obvious planned obsolescence crap with every new iOS and are about to lose a lot of customers.
Not how obvious works. Just saying so doesn't make it so.
[doublepost=1508692943][/doublepost]
So, to sum up, because they changed the signal bar this year and removed slide to unlock a year ago iOS is built for the X because... reasons?
The change to the signal dots to bring back the more standard bars clearly and obviously makes devices obsolete forcing people to buy new ones.

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
No not only that I was only citing examples , hey why do you think newer versions of iOS doesn't work fine on older devices that's because Apple is working to only get ios well built for the newer devices and ignore the older ones capabilities. Talking about speed on older devices most people complain about speed and battery their devices seems to lag when they update , what's that
So, to sum up, because they changed the signal bar this year and removed slide to unlock a year ago iOS is built for the X because... reasons?
[doublepost=1508695154][/doublepost]
In the last few days Apple is getting a lot of criticism because of their obvious planned obsolescence crap with every new iOS and are about to lose a lot of customers.
Thank you for this ! Now I see someone that's reasoning with me well on this , don't ignore the fact that when iOS 10 came out it ran smoothly on all devices and the speed was nothing to speak of even on the older devices that you didn't think would work well with it like the iPhone 5

bashman2020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
somewhere on earth
Thank you, ios 11 came with a lot of drop downs and bad audience everywhere there's a lot of bugs attached to it older devices are getting a lot of bugs and slow downs and Apple is ignoring that when they are only focusing on the new devices which is not cool
Yes, there are enough comparison videos on youtube which proof it.

Reactions: LA_LEE

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Now I see someone that's reasoning with me well on this , don't ignore the fact that when iOS 10 came out it ran smoothly on all devices and the speed was nothing to speak of even on the older devices that you didn't think would work well with it like the iPhone 5
Is that why there were long threads about similar delays and animation glitches in the early days of iOS 10. Right.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I remember all the complaints when the signal display was changed a few years ago and all the great praise when old brought back.
Nice to know everything is wrong with everything. Wow a changed signal strength ruins an entire experience.

Reactions: PR1985 and C DM

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah my point is you don't just ignore the older devices entirely and not considering things like speed and all of that after all the older devices were once optimized for iOS properly.
If you want your old devices to be optimized, run the software which was optimized for it. The iOS number which it came installed with, period.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
If you want your old devices to be optimized, run the software which was optimized for it. The iOS number which it came installed with, period.
Well, that's not a good way to look at it, when Apple advertises years of updates for it's phone. Might as well not offer an update if it won't be optimized for said device. People bash Android fans all the time about getting updates late, but at least they don't plague the devices with bugs, crashes, freezes, etc.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Has anyone ever pondered why Apple today in its most recent iOS update which is iOS 11 has removed most of the uniqueness that was superior to iOS ?

Right from its creation features like slide to unlock which made it easy to unlock your iOS device with just a power button slide to unlock and your passcode and you're right in but these days you'd have to click home button even after pressing your power button especially older iPhone devices where your Touch ID functionality doesn't seems to be accurate most of the time due to sweat and other things.

Second of all is the old signal bar which was very unique to iOS Apple brought back the old iOS signal that was peculiar to very old iOS 3,4,5&6..

Apple is playing catch up on us all they want to render older devices totally useless with the new iOS updates they aren't updating iOS putting into consideration the older devices they only in focus about the newer devices .

At this point I can say that ios 11 was built in consideration to the new iPhone x and nothing else trust me both the new control center and signal bar on iOS 11 was built because of the iPhone 10 where the top notch of the iPhone 10 took a lot of space

Hence no space for the old signal bar and also the control center on iPhone 10 if you notice you'll have to swipe down from the right edge of the screen to get into it .. this was all tricks built in consideration for iPhone 10 and that's why the new updates doesn't seem to work smooth on iOS older devices.

That to me is precisely Apple’s strength. They control both the hardware and software and are able to design the appearance of the OS such that it best complements the hardware and vice versa.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well, that's not a good way to look at it, when Apple advertises years of updates for it's phone. Might as well not offer an update if it won't be optimized for said device. People bash Android fans all the time about getting updates late, but at least they don't plague the devices with bugs, crashes, freezes, etc.
You buy the phone for what it is and not what it's going to be. Android's approach is just fine and honestly these iOS updates are more headache than what they are worth.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Reactions: PR1985
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.