Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
I apologize if this has already been asked but...
Am I missing something? I thought one of the big announcements about iOS 11 was that you could stop apps from harassing you for feedback, yet, after turning this off, they're still bothering me.

Like Priceline:
zW62dTh.png

8WctE4B.png

Other apps have included Yelp, Reddit, and Uber.

The setting is here:

3xPr4rh.png

So does that setting only apply to certain apps, or...?

Reactions: macfacts

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
If an app uses the API, then yes, they get enjoined from doing it more than once, or at all. But that doesn't stop them from popping up random dialog boxes of their own, like the OP's examples.

Apple would probably do something, if you reported it directly.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ticks me off when I get these things. Especially RIGHT AFTER I install an application. How the heck can I give a review if I just opened your app 2 mins ago?

Apps that constantly ask you to upgrade to paid - like Lose It! --- byebye. I won't be bothered to use apps like this.

I have this off as well and still get a ton of these requests.

Reactions: old-wiz and nnoble

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Why would a company even use the API and limit themselves? The whole option makes no sense from their point of view if u ask me lol

Supposedly if you don't, you get removed from the store, but I wouldn't know. Apps that nag, I delete, so I don't know what happens to them.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Supposedly if you don't, you get removed from the store, but I wouldn't know. Apps that nag, I delete, so I don't know what happens to them.
But then they shouldn’t be approved in the first place. Seems like Apple doesn’t mind.

Reactions: macfacts

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple likely does not know about it. Tap the Report a Problem button in the receipt on next to the purchase in your order history, and let Apple know about it. If they get enough complaints that app will be pulled for violating App Store guidelines.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Nagware / adware x Nuisance-ware

Block, disable, find ad-free paid version or it goes to the trash.

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
Not sure if anyone else said this, but that appears to be an in-app notification. that setting is for iOS notifications (the ones that look like all other system notifications and prompts)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Not sure if anyone else said this, but that appears to be an in-app notification. that setting is for iOS notifications (the ones that look like all other system notifications and prompts)
Apple is allegedly supposed to prevent them from doing exactly this. For whatever reason it’s not the case.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Apple is allegedly supposed to prevent them from doing exactly this. For whatever reason it’s not the case.

Explain, please, how Apple would prevent an application from producing an in-app notification. Be specific. Answer... they can't.

Apple has an API that applications are supposed to use, to request reviews. That doesn't mean that applications are using it. As promoted up-thread, *report* applications that are abusing review requests.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/ratings-and-reviews/
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/system-capabilities/ratings-and-reviews/
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/skstorereviewcontroller/

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Explain, please, how Apple would prevent an application from producing an in-app notification. Be specific. Answer... they can't.

Apple has an API that applications are supposed to use, to request reviews. That doesn't mean that applications are using it. As promoted up-thread, *report* applications that are abusing review requests.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/ratings-and-reviews/
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/system-capabilities/ratings-and-reviews/
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/skstorereviewcontroller/
The same way Apple stops developers from implementing other features and apps that aren't allowed on the App Store? I think you're underestimating their review process.

Anyway you can see from the documents you linked that as I suspected, use of the API is optional.

"Prefer the system-provided prompt.
The system's rating prompt offers a familiar, efficient experience that's designed to engage the user with minimal impact."

Thank you for the links.

Last edited:

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Yes, pretty fantastic that the Booking.com app just bothered me for a review after I opened it for the first time.

9HuSo4u.png

(how about instead of a 'not now' option, they include a 'not ever')

Also, I especially love how I wouldn't even be able to do it if I tried!

c0DE2c5.jpg

So, if apps are going to ignore the "don't nag me to review you" setting, they:
1) shouldn't be dumb enough to ask you for a review for the first time, they should at least wait until you've been using them for a while
2) shouldn't be dumb enough to ask you to review them when you are on a prerelease version of iOS that won't let you review

like, seriously! :p

Last edited:

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Yes I would like to see this fixed in iOS. I noticed the nagware, and if I get it more than once, I contact the developer as nagware is not what I paid for to own. If it is a free app, I just delete the app (you get what you pay for...)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Settings > iTunes & App Store "In App Ratings & Reviews"

Switch it off to disable it... be warned last time I checked it doesn't work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.