Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeshep

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Midwest US
I'm in the usual state of conflicting information overload here and hope i can get some clarity here.

Bought a 6s plus last week to replace a 6s, which is on 10.3.1.
The Plus came with 11.1 on it. I upgraded to latest ios 11.2.2 after doing a
migration from my 6s backup. Havent activated with my carrier yet.
The 6s plus is Used - has had about 2 years of normal eveyday usage...

What can i expect as far as battery life vs the 10.3.1 on the 6s? Can i or should i revert
to any earlier ios 11 version for best battery peformance?

Is there any hope that newer ios 11 versions will improve the battery drain issues i'm reading
about ? Should i get the $29 new battery no matter what? Instinct says yes...but I
dont know if that will resolve any inherent ios fast battery drain issue if it is a product of
the system and phone model, vs the battery itself.

Appreciate any thoughts. I see IPSW for 11.1 is still signed, but no idea if it is worth bothering
with. There is no way to go back to 9 or 10, right?

Thanks,

Mike

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
I would recommend getting battery replaced. And there’s no way to go back to 9 or 10

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Can i or should i revert to any earlier ios 11 version for best battery peformance?

If you're already stuck on iOS 11, I'd say simply keep on the newest version of it.
Is there any hope that newer ios 11 versions will improve the battery drain issues i'm reading
about?

There is hope. iOS 10 also had reports of battery drain but Apple eventually sorted things out with their final version of iOS 10 (10.3.3).
Should i get the $29 new battery no matter what?

I would wait and see what the battery life is like first before just automatically changing it the battery. If you happy w/ it's battery life then I'd wait to change the battery until the end of 2018.
I see IPSW for 11.1 is still signed, but no idea if it is worth bothering with.

I just checked ipsw.me for the 6s plus and it shows only 11.2, 11.2.1, and 11.2.2 being signed.
There is no way to go back to 9 or 10, right?

No.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
My 6s Plus had poor battery life since iOS 11. Maybe 15% per hour.

Otherwise a great iPhone.

I have chargers everywhere so it wasn't an issue.

Health was 87%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.