Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westislander

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
To my surprise, I noticed that my iPhone 8 Plus running 11.0.2 drops from LTE to 3G whenever I start a call regardless if it's outbound or inbound. I was kind of miffed because it was working fine on my iPhone 6 running 10.3.3 and probably still is but I no longer have it in my possession.

I called my carried but I didn't expect their call centre to be aware let alone know what VoLTE was and that's exactly what happened. I'm sure their engineers know by now though.

I eventually discovered an article describing the issue to customers on the same carrier as I'm on (Fido) and it isn't just effecting iPhone 8/8 Plus users but any device updated to iOS 11. This is replicated on 11.0, 11.0.1 and 11.0.2.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/fido-volte-ios-11/

I later contacted a friend who has an iPhone 8 who's also on the same carrier and he confirmed LTE is dropping to 3G during calls.

I'm not sure whether it's iOS related or a carrier update required to play friendly with iOS 11.
I initially thought maybe my carrier hadn't yet added the iPhone 8 to their VoLTE supported devices list if that's even a thing but it doesn't seem to be the cause.

To clarify:
1. All iPhones since probably the 5S support VoLTE
2. My carrier currently supports VoLTE and has so since 2015
3. I don't believe it's a hardware related matter since other iOS 11 users are noticing the same behavior after updating regardless of what model iPhone they have
4. Prior to iOS 11 all VoLTE enabled iPhones we're enjoying VoTLE including mines
5. I haven't changed carriers

I'm writing this post to inform effected users and to ask the community if they have some insight on how this whole thing works. Do carriers normally enable the feature on a phone by phones bases, will Apple have to fix this in a future iOS update or does the carrier simply have to push down a new carrier update.

Thanks!

Last edited:

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
To my surprise, I noticed that my iPhone 8 Plus running 11.0.2 drops from LTE to 3G whenever I start a call regardless if it's an outbound or inbound. I was kind of miffed because it was working fine on my iPhone 6 running 10.3.3 and probably still is but I no longer have it in my possession.

I called my carried but I didn't expect their call centre to be aware let alone know what VoLTE is and that's exactly what happened. I'm sure their engineers know by now though.

I eventually discovered an article describing the issue to customers on the same carrier as I'm on (Fido) and it isn't just effecting iPhone 8/8 Plus users but any device updated to iOS 11. This is replicated on 11.0, 11.0.1 and 11.0.2.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/fido-volte-ios-11/

I later contacted a friend who has an iPhone 8 who's also on the same carrier and he confirmed LTE is dropping to 3G during calls.

I'm not sure whether it's iOS related or a carrier update required to play friendly with iOS 11.
I initially thought maybe my carrier hadn't yet added the iPhone 8 to their VoLTE supported devices list if that's even a thing but it doesn't seem to be the cause.

To clarify:
1. All iPhones since probably the 5S support VoLTE
2. My carrier currently supports VoLTE and has so since 2015
3. I don't believe it's a hardware related matter since other iOS 11 users are noticing the same behavior after updating regardless of what model iPhones they have
4. Prior to iOS 11 all VoLTE enabled iPhones we're enjoying VoTLE including mines
5. I haven't changed carriers

I'm writing this post to inform effected users and to ask the community if they have some insight on how this whole thing works. Do carriers normally enable the feature on a phone by phones bases, will Apple have to fix this in a future iOS update or those the carrier simply have to push down a new carrier update.

Thanks!

Fido is aware of this and trying to fix it.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
its not ios, its the carrier & their crap carrier config (carrier info version), & i guess they broke it again. i have rogers (which fido is their "discount" piggyback subdepartment of rogers) & VoLTE was broken on iphone 7 plus for a lot of ios 11 betas until near the last of them & it finally worked again, it works on 11.0 ~ 11.0.2 & 11.1 beta 1 i used them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.