Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
To preface: I have both iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra. My friend was using a Windows machine.

From the Files app with iOS 11, I just emailed a friend a folder that consists of pdf files that I stored in iCloud drive over a year ago. The friend informed me that some of the files in the folder were not able to be opened, while other files were able to be opened. I resent the same folder from my Mac and she said the same issue occurred again. She then sent me a picture which showed that the pdf files that were not able to be opened ended in .pdf.icloud rather than .pdf

From iCloud Drive, I noticed that the files that my friend was having trouble opening (.pdf.icloud) were all not downloaded to my iPhone and/or Mac from iCloud (and instead showed the iCloud icon). I downloaded the entire folder then sent the folder containing the pdf files and my friend was then able to open all of the files.

I have never experienced this before, so I was unsure if this was a bug for iCloud Drive in iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, or if you always had to download the folder before sending to someone else. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I believe, without certainty that it's a temporary bug. Apple is working on new measures for easily sharing documents kept in iCloud via links, so it could be that this just slipped in whilst the focus was on the other sharing method.

Were the files actually incomplete though? I mean, if you just removed the ".icloud" would it work? Sometimes you just end up with incorrect suffixes, but all the data is intact. (not saying that happens in general with iCloud, but with Unix systems in general, the way suffixes are handled sometimes confuses Windows, because asides from some apps using the suffix to recognise files, they don't really mean anything)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.