Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteyio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridge, UK
So, not something we all do very often, but I've noticed since updating to iOS 11 that it takes substantially longer to boot up from cold.

The Apple logo will appear for about 10 seconds - it will then flash once as if to suggest it's cancelled the boot and starting again - and then show the Apple logo again for a little while before hitting the lock screen.

Anyone else getting the same kind of boot experience or just me?

peteyio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Nope...same here. Iphone 7 plus. No problem though. Just as you say a difference vs 10.3.

Just to clarify, do you notice a flashing of the logo during boot or does it stay persistent the whole way? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - just seems strange.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Just to clarify, do you notice a flashing of the logo during boot or does it stay persistent the whole way? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - just seems strange.
The apple logo flashes once during boot for me.
[doublepost=1506102497][/doublepost]
So, not something we all do very often, but I've noticed since updating to iOS 11 that it takes substantially longer to boot up from cold.

The Apple logo will appear for about 10 seconds - it will then flash once as if to suggest it's cancelled the boot and starting again - and then show the Apple logo again for a little while before hitting the lock screen.

Anyone else getting the same kind of boot experience or just me?
I have the exact same boot experience since updating to iOS 11.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Just as you say a difference vs 10.3.

^^^This.

Have not paid attention to boot times (since has not booted since upgraded to v11), but, not unusual. If you haven't ever scanned it, give a glance at the iOS Security White Paper. There is a fair amount of security related things that occur during boot. Would not be surprised additional security measures in place with each new OS that adds to boot time. And of course, any new feature(s) (and to beat the critics to it: not feature, bloat) that need firing up, initialization, etc.

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

(Note: appears they have not released the v11 document, yet. New paper versions roll out about a month after the OS is released, generally)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.