Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Hey guys, I seem to have a very isolated problem as no one else seems to have this issue.

iOS 11 beta 6 currently (iPhone), but ever since beta 2...messages has been missing from the share menu. If I'm in any other app besides messages, it's not there. So then I have to copy and paste whatever it is I want to share.

This happens within:

• Photos
  • Screenshot Interface
  • Notes
  • Safari
  • ...basically anything that you could/would possibly share via messages
I've submitted multiple bug reports for this, but still nothing has changed. And, no, it's not even an option to turn on in the "share" configuration menu. HOWEVER...it is there on the iPad.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

nolanclark

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Hey guys, I seem to have a very isolated problem as no one else seems to have this issue.

iOS 11 beta 6 currently (iPhone), but ever since beta 2...messages has been missing from the share menu. If I'm in any other app besides messages, it's not there. So then I have to copy and paste whatever it is I want to share.

This happens within:

• Photos
  • Screenshot Interface
  • Notes
  • Safari
  • ...basically anything that you could/would possibly share via messages
I've submitted multiple bug reports for this, but still nothing has changed. And, no, it's not even an option to turn on in the "share" configuration menu. HOWEVER...it is there on the iPad.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have the same problem, hopefully it's fixed soon! I was hoping it would be fixed in the Beta 6, but was not unfortunately.

jonarogers

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
Los Angeles
I also have had this problem and have been submitting it via Feedback since Beta 2. No fix. I'm getting increasingly frustrated that discouraged that anyone even checks. I also am not sure what category to submit it under. Messages, Photos, Other?

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
I also have had this problem and have been submitting it via Feedback since Beta 2. No fix. I'm getting increasingly frustrated that discouraged that anyone even checks. I also am not sure what category to submit it under. Messages, Photos, Other?
As much of a pain as it is, I suppose I'd suggest just sending duplicate reports under all three categories. That will make sure it reaches multiple channels, at the very least.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I saw this in another thread and everyone who had the issue had MDM profiles installed. Check Settings -> General -> Profiles and see if you have something in there.

jonarogers

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
Los Angeles
I saw this in another thread and everyone who had the issue had MDM profiles installed. Check Settings -> General -> Profiles and see if you have something in there.
OMG. That was it! You are amazing. No one has been able to solve this for me! thank you so much.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
OMG. That was it! You are amazing. No one has been able to solve this for me! thank you so much.

Great. It seems there's something a bit different in the way MDM profiles are interpreted in iOS 11. Profiles that wouldn't remove message sharing in iOS 10 are doing so in 11. Probably the profile will need to be updated for iOS 11.

jonarogers

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
Los Angeles
Great. It seems there's something a bit different in the way MDM profiles are interpreted in iOS 11. Profiles that wouldn't remove message sharing in iOS 10 are doing so in 11. Probably the profile will need to be updated for iOS 11.
Agreed. and given how quickly some corporate IT depts move, it will be a while.

sirix

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Anyone with a fix other than uninstalling the management profile?

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Had the same issue and just had to remove the MDM profile to fix it. Definitely just needs to be an update from everyone's IT group.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
This is my biggest complaint about iOS 11. I didn't even realize how often I used that method of sending photos until now!!

This is a pretty big flaw by Apple- it shouldn't be on corporate IT departments to fix if it was working previously on ios10. I'm assuming nobody has found any other fix? And deleting the profile will mess up your corporate functions?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This is a pretty big flaw by Apple- it shouldn't be on corporate IT departments to fix if it was working previously on ios10. I'm assuming nobody has found any other fix? And deleting the profile will mess up your corporate functions?

Have to agree with you. Although someone might argue IT depts have had the beta cycle to test and report this, it doesn’t really matter. MDM is used in corporate settings typically and everyone knows corporations tend to move slowly on IT infrastructure. This is one area where Apple really cannot afford to play it fast and loose or they risk getting themselves a bad name in those circles.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Just to add- my firm which is a well known large bank- shot out a blast email telling everybody they didn't recommend upgrading to ios11 due to compatibility issues.

Of course I did it anyway haha, but all my corporate stuff still works fine- it's just the apple side that is not working.

But like you mentioned- I don't think Apple wants large firms starting to shy away from their software, especially when it took them so long to start supporting to begin with. Not a good look for Apple.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Just to add- my firm which is a well known large bank- shot out a blast email telling everybody they didn't recommend upgrading to ios11 due to compatibility issues.

Of course I did it anyway haha, but all my corporate stuff still works fine- it's just the apple side that is not working.

But like you mentioned- I don't think Apple wants large firms starting to shy away from their software, especially when it took them so long to start supporting to begin with. Not a good look for Apple.

I’m not sure they’ve ever said, or anyone’s got a good estimate, but I’d imagine a good chunk of annual sales are direct to corporate entities. You’re not the first person I’ve seen say their firm is recommending to hold of on 11. Hopefully the account managers involved on both sides are sending the appropriate feedback up the chain. Not working with Exchange and breaking MDM are not even vaguely equivalent to the millimeter misalignments people here are losing their heads about.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida

I also work for a very large corporation but we didn’t get anything suggesting against upgrading. They, like many others, are not the fastest to implement upgrades but I have a friend over in corporate IT who I will definitely mention this to. All my normal corporate apps, VPN, and email all work normally.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I also work for a very large corporation but we didn’t get anything suggesting against upgrading. They, like many others, are not the fastest to implement upgrades but I have a friend over in corporate IT who I will definitely mention this to. All my normal corporate apps, VPN, and email all work normally.

We didn't either and my exchange mail and calendar has been working like a champ over the beta period and til now. They don't put any mdm stuff on us either. I think it's all version and environment specific.

Microsoft and Apple are reportedly on it. It's in both their best interest to get it fixed asap.

Last edited:

sirix

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
no idea whether an MDM update was pushed to me, but the messages icon seems to have randomly come back for me.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I have the same issue my corporate IT tells me it is due to Apple and that they are working on it... I have Mobileiron as MDM, when i uninstall it i can send text message from photo for instance. When i reinstall Mobileiron the text message icon is gone from the app selection option in photo (same thing with contact when you want to share one, etc...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.