Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MihneaG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2018
Hello one and all!

I'm currently using an iPhone 6s running iOS 11.3.1.

A while back, I turned off all sorts of notifications, chief among which were the ones for Facebook Messenger. I was (and to an extent still am) uncomfortable with private stuff popping up on my phone screen. All was well and good.

However, I've just purchased an Apple Watch Series 3 (running Watch OS 4.3) and I wanted notifications to pop on its screen (hang in there, it may seem like it's a Watch issue, it most certainly is not). All notifications work on it, except the Messenger ones. Zero. Not even the red dot. Then it dawned on me.

Maybe it's the iPhone's fault.

I've tried what seems to be every solution to enable them, most of the list being here. I've tried disabling the wrist detection, reinstalling the app, what have you.

Following up, I've re-enabled notifications (with persistent banners and all) for the Messenger app, since the Watch mirrors the iPhone.

I get zero notifications from the Messenger app on my lock screen. Most other apps work: Outlook, text messages, some other 3rd party apps, but some don't: the OS e-mail app does not show up anything (even though my Gmail does), Facebook doesn't either, and obviously Messenger as well. It seems by now that I've tried everything, from privacy settings to notification settings to removing the app altogether.

In a nutshell: no matter what I do, I can't get Facebook Messenger (and a few other apps) to leave history notifications (or any kind for that matter) on my lock screen. It is an issue that others have complained about, most of the time on iPhone 6: turning off notifications then turning them back on bugs them for good.

What to do?

Disclaimer: I will happily check off what I've already tried, but please don't feel offended if I seem dismissive. I'm genuinely looking for a new way to tackle this, not the classic "did you leave those off?" replies.

Many thanks in advance to all!

Later edit

I've unpaired the watch and paired to my mate's iPhone X and everything went fine, so it is definitely the phone. But this doesn't really solve the whole issue: why can't I see those notifications?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.