Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puma61191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Hi guys,

Is it possible (and if so, how?) to put iOS 11 on an iPad 4?

I want to be able to use apps like Google Chrome/Drive/Docs/Sheets, Netflix et cetera on my iPad 4. All those apps need iOS 11, but by Apple update I can only get the firmwhere to iOS 10.3.3. I've already googled a lot but can't find a proper tutorial on how to do this. I read something about TinyUmbrella, but I can't get that program to work and also am not sure if it's possible to get it up to iOS 11. Also I did a succesful jailbreak using H3lix, but I don't know what to do after the jailbreak to get it up to iOS 11.

So could you guys point me in the right direction? Is this even possible? I am aware that iOS 11 might make the iPad run a bit slower; I'm taking that for granted :).

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not possible at all. iOS 11 requires a 64 bit processor which the iPad 4 does not have.

Depending on what/if you can spend your best bet may be to get a cheap used iPad Air, or newer as your budget allows. Or, do you have another iOS device (iPhone maybe?) that supports a newer version of iOS - there is a bit of a workaround that would allow you to download the last version of those apps that supported iOS 10 to your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.