Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I realise this feature was removed, however I have still been using it. Today I noticed that messages are no longer syncing and messages data has been removed from iCloud. Did Apple turn the feature off recently?

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Yeah, they disabled it a few betas ago, assuming it wasn't ready. I think they mentioned it returning in an 11.X update.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, they disabled it a few betas ago, assuming it wasn't ready. I think they mentioned it returning in an 11.X update.

I guess I might as well update to the latest beta now then if Apple have actually turned it off now as well as removed it from future betas.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
ios 11.1 would be a fine candidate to think it would come back on, but 11.0.x is always possible as well..

0.1% for the 11.0 gm, the risk of additional related to it, or unrelated to it, bugs is too great too late

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Anyone know of an easy way to archive messages from an iOS device without a computer? ☹️

hArrisburger

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
I had used it in an earlier beta and it did work well on a restore from new. All of the picture messages went to the cloud, creating space. But now, when I click on "download" it won't show the message on the cloud. I hope when they do bring it back, those old picture messages are available.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Anyone know of an easy way to archive messages from an iOS device without a computer? ☹️
There are ways to extract them from an iTunes backup but (a) it's not easy and requires some 3rd-party app plus (b) you say without a computer.

Without just selecting every single one and forwarding them to someone who has more space than you on their phone/iPad, I'd say no, there's no easy way. Treat iMessages and texts as quick little phone calls. Let them fade from your memory and get deleted - you don't need them ;p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.