Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekmee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
On iPad Pro 256 GB / iOS 11.4
1.) How do I find out the file size of a recording?
2.) Is there a difference in file size for screen recordings vs video recordings of the same length?

I understand screen recording uses PNG as a file format, so I figured the quality and file size must be different.

I screen recorded :30 minute Webinar and was trying to find out the file size generated.

-Greg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Screenshots (pictures) are PNG. Screen recordings are MPEG-4 (using h264) with a MP4 file extension (thankfully).

1. Get a copy of both the downloaded webinar and screen recording of the same video and export them to a computer and check file size or "Save to Files" on the iPhone if you don't want to or have a computer. There might be other ways but nothing off the top of my head comes to mind.

2. Yes but there is too many variables. Since a screen recording iPhones with higher resolutions will have larger files (ie iPhone 6S will have a smaller file than iPhone 6S Plus). The screen recording is also 54 fps (for some reason) so you could be near doubling the data if the original was 30 fps. Also the iPhone is encoding h264 on the fly so the output isn't as complex (compressed) as it could be.

We would need to know how large the webinar video downloads are though. For example 1080@60fps recording on an iPhone will be significantly larger than a screen recording of the same thing. However the quality will be significantly better too.

As a test I screen recording 1 minute of a youtube video on my iPhone 6S (res is 1334x750) and the file was ~30mb. Then I recorded that video with its camera (res was 1920x1080) and the file was ~170mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.