Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Am I the only one here going insane due to the undo button being where the space bar is when using split keyboard? On ios 10 (I just pressed undo again typing 10 :mad:), it would bring up the hand writing tool, which did annoy me but didn’t drive me insane like keep undoing my typing inadvertently.

I don’t suppose there’s a way to remove it is there.. What a brilliant idea, putting an undo button where the space bar is. Why couldn’t they put it next to the paste button?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Can you still shake the iPad for undo?
Just shook it vigorously, yes it does.

I’m gonna have to force myself to use the left side space bar on the split keyboard. It is strangely difficult as most words end with letters n the left side of the split keyboard. Pressing the left side space bar slows typing down a lot.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I never even noticed it was there. I must always use the spacebar with my left thumb. I could see how it would be annoying though if you use your right thumb for the spacebar.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I never even noticed it was there. I must always use the spacebar with my left thumb. I could see how it would be annoying though if you use your right thumb for the spacebar.
Yeah I didn’t notice either. I was dumbfounded when I had so much of my typing disappear the other day, thought I or the iPad had gone nuts. And then I saw that undo button.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yeah I didn’t notice either. I was dumbfounded when I had so much of my typing disappear the other day, thought I or the iPad had gone nuts. And then I saw that undo button.
Here's what my split keyboard looks like on the iPP10.5 with iOS11.0.1 within Pages.
split.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the accidental undo.

If it is REALLY annoying, it probably bothers more users than just you. You could create and release a custom keyboard to make the world a better place!
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/extensions/custom-keyboards/

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Here's what my split keyboard looks like on the iPP10.5 with iOS11.0.1 within Pages.
View attachment 721482

I'm not sure I understand the accidental undo.

If it is REALLY annoying, it probably bothers more users than just you. You could create and release a custom keyboard to make the world a better place!
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/extensions/custom-keyboards/
The undo button appears when in numbers and symbol input. The right space bar is shrunk to 1/3 the size with the undo button taking up 2/3.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The undo button appears when in numbers and symbol input. The right space bar is shrunk to 1/3 the size with the undo button taking up 2/3.
Ah ha! Gotcha, I've been using the 'flick' for numbers on the full size keyboard and had not noticed the Undo on the split one.

Yep, you are correct. Apple should have a toggle within General > Keyboards > Remove Undo

I'll send it up.
I'm just a little fish, with a couple of cool contacts, maybe if enough of us make the change recommendation, it will be done.

Reactions: iosuser

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I don’t use the split keyboard but the undo button definitely drives me crazy. Not only do I regularly hit it, sometimes I end up hitting it twice before I notice and I’ve lost entire paragraphs with no way to get them back.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I don’t use the split keyboard but the undo button definitely drives me crazy. Not only do I regularly hit it, sometimes I end up hitting it twice before I notice and I’ve lost entire paragraphs with no way to get them back.
Welcome to the club :p

:mad:

rap2kusa

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Welcome to the club :p

:mad:

Have you or has anyone ever found a solution?
I used to love my iPad mini so much, and now I want to throw it at the wall every time it deletes everything I just typed and it's too late to "redo" and I have to start over again (several times a day, every day)
I tried non-Apple keyboards, but the regular, non-split keyboard, just made complete sense before that horrible and useless "undo" key appeared. Hard to adapt my right thumb to a "sometime smaller" space bar too...
Maybe my mini 4 doesn't react fast enough anymore? But there's nothing faster out there.
I'm left handed, I wonder if that's why so many people don't have this problem?
That's really the first "feature" that drives me insane since Mac OS 6.0.7 in the 90's...

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I used to love my iPad mini so much, and now I want to throw it at the wall every time it deletes everything I just typed and it's too late to "redo" and I have to start over again (several times a day, every day)
I tried non-Apple keyboards, but the regular, non-split keyboard, just made complete sense before that horrible and useless "undo" key appeared. Hard to adapt my right thumb to a "sometime smaller" space bar too...
Maybe my mini 4 doesn't react fast enough anymore? But there's nothing faster out there.
That's really the first "feature" that drives me insane since Mac OS 6.0.7 in the 90's...
Unfortunately, no. I just learned to live with it.

KenT28

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
I am left handed, too, and it is driving me nuts. Why in the world can they not fix it!?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Drives me crazy as well. Though the dock on an iPad mini drives me crazy far more. There are alternate keyboards on the App Store. Though my solution was to go shopping for an Android tablet today.

Heritage42

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
You may all know this by now, split space bar was driving me nuts as my wife kept hitting the "Undo" by mistake and I didn't realise. (I don't use an iPad) If you do this, press the .?123 key again and the right hand third of the space bar changes from "Undo" to "Redo", and with this you can restore your text. Quite why Apple have done this is beyond me, maybe as surmised before, the developer was left handed.

curlydog

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
[doublepost=1521499159][/doublepost]I have only just updated to IOS 11 and have been perplexed for a few days now as to why everything I typed just vanished.
I am right handed but tend to use the split keyboard all the time and type with my thumbs. Since the space bar was bigger on the right hand side, I always use my right thumb to hit space. Now there is an undo button exactly under my right thumb.
This is ludicrous. What moron in Apple decided that that was a good idea.
How can we get this changed please?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Apple must pay bonuses on anything new that's adopted. It's bewildering the amount of unnecessary change that gets incorporated into existing features/apps. Much of which doesn't work or is less efficient.

jasbart

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Apple must pay bonuses on anything new that's adopted. It's bewildering the amount of unnecessary change that gets incorporated into existing features/apps. Much of which doesn't work or is less efficient.
Even worse, apparently the Undo key only appears when you are entering NUMBERS. Not when entering text. And it deletes the entire unsaved part of the doc, not just the last digit. What good is this? Delete the undo key!

Jim

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Just updated to iOS 12. The undo key is still there but it's much smaller. It should've been eliminated entirely since there's already an undo/redo button above the numbers. They've also put back the proper set of symbols when in number mode, another thing that was annoying under iOS 11 when trying to enter some symbols. Now it's back to how it was before iOS11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.