Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi

I recently purchased an iPhone 8 and now I'm configuring it after installing iOS 12.1.

During the installation it asked me for my Apple ID, and I typed it.

Now, my iMessages from my macbook pro on High Sierra 10.13.6 (which included iCloud Messages) and all the Notes are not syncing. Maybe there is something more that doesn't sync, I haven't tried yet. All my contacts info is there. So why isn't Messages syncing?

I go to to Settings and then Apple ID > iCloud and the toggle Messages is off, meaning I cannot sync my messages with iCloud... And now it showed an iOS warning with this content:

"Messages is not available for you Apple ID: You cannot use Messages with the ID (my email adress) because it requires the two factor autentification, which is not compatible with your account."

Oddly enough, the Notes app toggle is on, but anyway, Notes are not syncing...

I could try to enable the two factor authentification, but it hasn't been mandatory until now. I'm using Apple products for the last decade, so I don't understand why I'm having this problems...

EDIT: The WiFi connection didn't work. After a reboot, WiFi is working again.
Are there any known issues with iOS 12.1 and WiFi 5GHz? Thank you.

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
I thought that two-factor auth is mandatory for Messages sync on the device? Have you tried enabling it and leave your device charging for 4-6 hours with a good Wi-Fi connection?

Regarding Wi-Fi issues, nothing similar from what I remember so resetting network settings may help if it will persist.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank you, I had to enable two-factor authentication sadly. Now, if I lose my iPhone or my mac, I won't be able to log in on any new Apple product with my Apple ID. That's why I waited so long to activate it... But now it is done. I hope to have always with me at least 2 Apple products to be able to athenticate myself.

On the other hand, rebooting solved the WiFi issue. But now I'm worried about WiFi reliability on iOS 12... just a bit.

If I have any other concern I will ask here. Oh by the way, with iOS 12.1 I'm having a bit less of battery life compared to iOS 11.4.1. From 8-9h on iOS 11, to 7-7:30h on iOS 12. Sometimes roughly 8h. Anyway with iOS 12 is now more difficult to measure how many hours you used your device since you unplugged it... pretty convenient huh?

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, I'm using this same thread to ask, clearly: Do you have 4G, LTE or WIFI issues with iOS 12.1? (iPhone8)

This afternoon, I went to te street, while playing a song via WiFi. Suddenly, when out, it changed to 3G and then 4G. And then, I tried to refresh a webpage, and it didn't work.

While on the street, I tried everything to get my connection back. I refreshed all my apps, I closed and reopened them, I switched off and then back on my cellular data connection, and after all, I put my phone on plane mode. And then, turned it on, and still no connection. I thought it might be a problem with my carrier, but then I thought.... What if I reboot? And indeed, after rebooting, my connection was back on. So that's a system problem. Actually I think it is a problem either with a) Intel modems, or b) iOS 12.1 messing with system connections, because after upgrading to iOS 12 I had the SAME problem wit WiFi (see the first post of this thread).

So I know I'm returning this iPhone 8 at the end of this week, but then, I need a phone so.. should I purchase another and stay on iOS 11? I don't want to have to keep rebooting brand new 700$ devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbester10

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
but then I thought.... What if I reboot? And indeed, after rebooting, my connection was back on. So that's a system problem. Actually I think it is a problem either with a) Intel modems, or b) iOS 12 messing with system connections, because after upgrading to iOS 12 I had the SAME problem wit WiFi (see the first post of this thread).

I’m having the same issues with my iPhone X. Things seemed fine with iOS 12, but with 12.1, cellular issues galore. I have to constantly reboot my phone. Sometimes phone calls still work, but then later I find out I am missing txt messages, iMessages and not receiving emails. The only thing that fixes this problem, a reboot. I think it is a software bug.

Reactions: jbester10

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m having the same issues with my iPhone X. Things seemed fine with iOS 12, but with 12.1, cellular issues galore. I have to constantly reboot my phone. Sometimes phone calls still work, but then later I find out I am missing txt messages, iMessages and not receiving emails. The only thing that fixes this problem, a reboot. I think it is a software bug.

You know what to do, right? https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I've already sent the feedback, but I think I'm not keeping this phone...

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Well, two days and so far, so good. But it is early to say. Anyway I will keep the post updated as I plan to stay on 12.0.1 for a long time...

Well, when I think about 12.1, this update added support for dual sim. Even though our phones don’t support that feature, I can see how Apple may have tried to code Cellular the same across the board and may have changed some things.

Did anyone see the article about how botched dual sim support is in 12.1? Verizon will not support it until
Apple fixes it (Estimated in 2019). I wonder if this has something to do with our issues?

BTW, which cellular carrier are you with? I am with ATT.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Sorry @jamesnajera I'm not from the USA, I'm from Spain. Anyway, in my case it was not carrier related, I think, because as soon as I rebooted the device it fixed it. Also, the problem I had, happened before with WiFi connection.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Sorry @jamesnajera I'm not from the USA, I'm from Spain. Anyway, in my case it was not carrier related, I think, because as soon as I rebooted the device it fixed it. Also, the problem I had, happened before with WiFi connection.
I was just wondering if I may have missed a “carrier update”.

Are things still going well with 12.0.1?

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
iOS 12 all about bug free fast os, nope its becoming worse than iOS 11 can't use wifi many ui bugs its a joke

Reactions: decypher44

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Are things still going well with 12.0.1?

Yep, rock solid. I have friday and saturday to test it as much as I can, because if I see some issue on 12.0.1 I will probably return it, and I only have a couple of days until that. I wouldn't like it to be a hardware issue, but I didn't have any problem with iOS 11.

Anyway, I don't regret updating to iOS 12. Siri shortcuts is enough of a reason to update.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Yep, rock solid. I have friday and saturday to test it as much as I can, because if I see some issue on 12.0.1 I will probably return it, and I only have a couple of days until that. I wouldn't like it to be a hardware issue, but I didn't have any problem with iOS 11.

Anyway, I don't regret updating to iOS 12. Siri shortcuts is enough of a reason to update.
I just updated to iOS 12.1.1 public beta 3. I will let you know how this release goes.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey! Is anybody experiencing WiFi or Cellular issues with iOS 12.3? Hopefully it has been finally solved!

Please let me know if on the upcoming days/weeks you experience connectivity bugs on iOS 12.3, especially on iPhone 8.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.