Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
Weird, I have the beta profile and beta 6 installed and is asking me to download the full update. Isn't the same as beta 6? Maybe it isn't. :)
With builds that do not show properly with the developer/beta profile installed, it does the same thing when you remove the profile. It's normal behavior.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
still not available in itunes. I prefer upgrading in itunes so that the "OTHER" category in my storage will not increase.

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
I rarely do hard reset unless the device is behaving unexpectedly. A normal reboot should suffice. Like whsbuss said, backup your device before the update too.
Hard reset is equivalent to unplugging a computer from the wall while it's running because it froze solid, or pulling the battery out of a laptop while it's turned on. I suspect most people don't uncleanly power their other computers down after an update, so it's interesting that they do it to their phones.

I remember way back in the iPhone 3G days, there were rumors that hard restarting your phone three times in quick succession would clean out all these caches and stuff. Probably those rumors are the reason why people still do it.

I used to hard reset my 3G sometimes because I didn't really know any better, and ended up with an hour long boot once (stuck at the apple logo...eventually it booted up and it never happened again). I suspect it ran a filesystem check because I'd been uncleanly dismounting it with those resets.

https://www.payetteforward.com/how-to-hard-reset-iphone-why-its-bad/

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I still have the Apple Pay icon in the apps drawer in messages...and it still doesn’t work for us UK users. Why would it still by there? It’s on my iPad too.

Edit: Any one else in the UK seeing it?

Last edited:

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Qatar:
Ooredoo Qatar: 36.1

Installed 12.2 on my iPhone XS Max. Carrier bundle was 36.0 but instantly got a notification about a carrier update and the version changed to 36.1. It was 35.0 on the previous public release iOS.

8b2c8e4d0e0f9bc3eadd70a1fe10cb59.jpg

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Screentime has been buggy since day one for me. Family screen time never worked. Turning it off and back on would for when my step-daughter is away visiting family had to make you completely start over. Fine tuning it for different days is a great idea.

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
Except...
You can do a full encrypted backup in iTunes to preserve your health data in case the upgrade goes wrong.
You can yeah. iCloud Backup also backs up your health data, so if you use iCloud Backup you're in good shape. You don't need an iTunes encrypted backup for that unless you want to use iTunes to back your device up.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
You can yeah. iCloud Backup also backs up your health data, so if you use iCloud Backup you're in good shape. You don't need an iTunes encrypted backup for that unless you want to use iTunes to back your device up.

Aahh yes you’re right. Since iOS 12. Good job!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Trying out News+. Even though I signed up for my free month, I keep getting the "Try it free!" screen preventing me from reading content. Anyone else?

ChronicLynx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Did anyone try out News+ yet? I can’t get magazines to show up in recent after I read them, and there doesn’t appear to be a way to explicitly delete a magazine after you download it for offline use.

Doesn’t seem like a great start if everyone is having this issue.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
The download took close to an hour on my iPad 10.5 and I have fiber at home. It's updating now .

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Been seeing it for ages too , but unable to set it up.

Right thanks. So I’m not alone with this then. I was beginning to wonder if it’s because I was messing about with a VPN a few weeks ago and set my phone to USA. Have you done anything like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.