Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
guys, for some reason on my iphone 7 the OTA ios 12.4 update does not show. I'm currently running 12.3.1. What can I do to.resolve this please?

The update did though show on my work iphone 7.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Download iOS 12.4 IPSW file and update using iTunes. That way you dont need to worry about OTA.
If you want to go for OTA, using different Wifi, or resetting network settings could help.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Download iOS 12.4 IPSW file and update using iTunes. That way you dont need to worry about OTA.
If you want to go for OTA, using different Wifi, or resetting network settings could help.
Thanks mate. If I reset network settings, what settings will be reset? Just WiFi? Or absolutely everything?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks mate. If I reset network settings, what settings will be reset? Just WiFi? Or absolutely everything?
Mainly wifi and Bluetooth, including remembered network and password, connected Bluetooth device list, and other settings. VPN setting and such may also be reset.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If you reset network settings and have iCloud Keychain enabled, you'll delete all the saved wifi networks on all of your devices, including Macs.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I reset network settings and still no luck. Think I’ll update via iTunes. Baffled why it doesn’t work.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update: in the end I ended up updating the old fashioned way via iTunes.

Let’s see if I get the next update OTA.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
guys, for some reason on my iphone 7 the OTA ios 12.4 update does not show. I'm currently running 12.3.1. What can I do to.resolve this please?

The update did though show on my work iphone 7.
My case is the exact opposite. Upgrade showed on my personal iPhone X whereas it won't on my work phone - I presume because the latter is a managed device.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My case is the exact opposite. Upgrade showed on my personal iPhone X whereas it won't on my work phone - I presume because the latter is a managed device.
Mobile device management systems can hold updates back for a period of time, so yes, that's probably why your work phone doesn't see it.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Mobile device management systems can hold updates back for a period of time, so yes, that's probably why your work phone doesn't see it.
My work phone is very heavily managed so really surprised it showed up on it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
WARNING!

Better NOT update your devices!
I am not the only one who lost all my music and lots of photos!!!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...killed-my-music-and-messed-my-photos.2192934/
Unfortunately it sounds like some oddities that end up happening to a few devices here and there with pretty much any update. It doesn't appear that this is something that has affected most or even a significant number though. That's not to say that it can't happen to someone and that steps to backup data shouldn't be taken just in case when it comes to pretty much any update.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Unfortunately it sounds like some oddities that end up happening to a few devices here and there with pretty much any update. It doesn't appear that this is something that has affected most or even a significant number though. That's not to say that it can't happen to someone and that steps to backup data shouldn't be taken just in case when it comes to pretty much any update.

Did a complete reinstallation of my complete backup (which I do always before any update) - BUT again, the music was lost, the U2 album was again reinstalled (though not existing in the backup) and now even MORE pictures were LOST! The resting photos had wrong timestamps (from 2006 to 2018 for a series from 2011 i.e.) and were in fact not accessible by date no more!

THIS is a major bug!

as for the importance of backups:
YES! Never have confidence on apple - not even in the minor update!

In fact, I transferred photos regularly on my MacBookPro, so they are not lost.
I was able to transfer my music from my MacBookPro onto my iPadPro.

As for the photios, it will take a LOT OF TIME to delete ALL photos resting with false timestamps on my iPadPro and retransfer manually (!!) back from my MAcBookPro all the about 2000 photos I need on my iPadPro!

This will take me roundabout 50-80 hours at least.

And: NO! This is NOT a good job done by apple. As I found out today, I am not the only one concerned by this big bug.

Maybe, this converses a certain minority - but no-one can be sure that next time he/she will be part of an other "minority" of apple users.

@ apple: I AM NOT AMUSED!!!

Just do your software-job correctly and don´t spoil your resources in a ridicular way by "making the hardware 0,1 mm thinner" !

Holy Shxx!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.