Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iOS devices do you think will receive iOS 12

• All devices that received iOS 11 will also receive iOS 12

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • A8 devices and newer (iPhone 5s, iPad Air & iPad Mini 2/3 dropped)

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Devices with at least 2 GB of RAM (iPhone 5s, 6/6+, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2/3 & iPod Touch 6 dropped)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Something else (comment below)

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
iOS 11, without a doubt. I don’t even think that’s subjective at this point.
I guess iOS 8 stands out as the worst for me as I had major issues (biggest one that impacted me was that I literally could not answer a phone call for weeks which made me contemplate dumping the Apple ecosystem altogether), whereas with iOS 11 I’ve heard that others have had issues but I haven’t experienced any myself.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I guess iOS 8 stands out as the worst for me as I had major issues (biggest one that impacted me was that I literally could not answer a phone call for weeks which made me contemplate dumping the Apple ecosystem altogether), whereas with iOS 11 I’ve heard that others have had issues but I haven’t experienced any myself.
I also have to say iOS 8 stands out for me as it just floored my iPad 3. if iOS 7 took away the absolute immediacy/ snappiness, iOS 8 just opened it up and poured a tin of treacle inside it. Up until that point I'd been sceptical about the software update slowdowns making a meaningful difference, but that update proved it to me the hard way :(

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Since Apple mentioned they will be concentrating on stability improvements rather new than new features, I can see all iOS 11 supported devices getting iOS 12.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Well with today's news about dumping new features to work on old stuff, AGH, I wouldn't drop support for anything. Also means new devices aren't needed to specifically run IOS12 core. Frankly this news, if turns out to be true will push me to finally start getting out of the Apple structure. Same OS for years, minor additions, no power user options... time to move on.
OSX Snow Leapord focused on some stability things and the one added feature was really for power users. iOS 11 made huge strides for iPad productivity and iOS 12 could be the cherry on top stability wise. Think of how iOS 6 was pretty polished and just filled in some little gaps throughout the OS nothing huge. Would love a modern version of that. I think iOS 12 could simply add multiuser support for iPads and that plus polish would make for one of the best versions since iOS 6.

Reactions: davidmartindale

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
But iPhone 5S is already crap on iOS 11 and 12 will make it more worse?
I have an iPhone 5s which I use daily…Now how is iOS 11 crap on this device? It runs fine for me and after restoring the system to factory settings it runs even better.
Truth be told I use my phone for calling, WhatsApp, Skype and a little bit of browsing. It works fine for me. It runs way better than iOS 9 on iPhone 4s and way better than iOS 7 on iPhone 4.
Agreed, it’s the worse among others. I hope Apple drop support for 5S in iOS 12
You can hope all that you won't but I don't think they will. I think iOS 13 will be the last release to support iPhone 5s.
If the rumours are true and iOS 12 will be a fix for iOS 11 then iOS 12 will run on the iPhone 5s. I trust EverythingApplePro on such things as he has always been correct so far.
You are making your own predictions and hoping… I think iOS 12 will run on iPhone 5s for sure. It's not slow enough.
We will see soon, but it's fun to read how people have always predicted phones and Macs get left out. Like when Yosemite came out people assumed that many Macs will be unsupported etc, yet older Macs were still supported.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I have an iPhone 5s which I use daily…Now how is iOS 11 crap on this device? It runs fine for me and after restoring the system to factory settings it runs even better.
Truth be told I use my phone for calling, WhatsApp, Skype and a little bit of browsing. It works fine for me. It runs way better than iOS 9 on iPhone 4s and way better than iOS 7 on iPhone 4.

You can hope all that you won't but I don't think they will. I think iOS 13 will be the last release to support iPhone 5s.
If the rumours are true and iOS 12 will be a fix for iOS 11 then iOS 12 will run on the iPhone 5s. I trust EverythingApplePro on such things as he has always been correct so far.
You are making your own predictions and hoping… I think iOS 12 will run on iPhone 5s for sure. It's not slow enough.
We will see soon, but it's fun to read how people have always predicted phones and Macs get left out. Like when Yosemite came out people assumed that many Macs will be unsupported etc, yet older Macs were still supported.
I’ve actually looked into comparing the A8 to A7 performance wise, the only real significant difference is going to be the gpu power between the two. The A8 is immensely more powerful in terms of graphics. The cpu performance itself is a very minimal difference. Overall I’d say 80% chance A7 is getting support with 20% they cut A7 because poor gpu performance, which on iPad Air is becoming increasingly noticeable.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
My guess is that they're going to throw iOS 12 to the 5S because of how bad 11 was and how good it makes them look if they fix it.
or the ios 12 can simply kill the 5s like the ios 9 killed the 4S despite the focus on perfomance and stability

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
or the ios 12 can simply kill the 5s like the ios 9 killed the 4S despite the focus on perfomance and stability
iOS 10 ran fine on the iPhone 5/5c... The A7 is plenty powerful enough that it shouldn't be a huge issue (5s has almost 6 times the processing power compared to the 4s), it's just a matter of if Apple wants to support 6 years worth of devices.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
iOS 10 ran fine on the iPhone 5/5c... The A7 is plenty powerful enough that it shouldn't be a huge issue (5s has almost 6 times the processing power compared to the 4s), it's just a matter of if Apple wants to support 6 years worth of devices.
i dont think they want but we will see , maybe they will surprise us with stable and acceptebly fast iOS on 5s

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
i dont think they want but we will see , maybe they will surprise us with stable and acceptebly fast iOS on 5s
I’m expecting that at this point they set the bar pretty low with the buggy release of iOS 11, if they truly minimize feature additions and focus on stability and performance iOS 12 could run great on A7 devices and even excellent on A8+ devices. I’d love for them to just be like okay we added 3 new features to iOS 12 and then we fixed hundreds of bugs and optimized code. Then for the screen we’re they show all the new little features instead show like the top 30 bugs they fixed. That would be so amazing for a geeky person to see Apple take that dedication to just polish the current iOS adding only a few user facing additions.

Reactions: MandiMac and ediks

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
My predictions :

IOS 12: Iphone 5s and newer, Ipad Air and newer,Ipad Mini 2 and newer, Ipod touch 6
IOS 13: Iphone 6 and newer, Ipad Air 2 and newer, Ipad Mini 4, Ipod touch 6
IOS 14: Iphone 6s and newer, Ipad Air 2 and newer, Ipad Mini 4
IOS 15: Iphone 6s and newer, Ipad Pro 1 gen and newer
IOS 16: Iphone 7 and newer, Ipad Pro 2 gen and newer

Since IOS 12 wont have many feautres , it will focus on stability and perfomance. A7 can handle that. A8 and A7 is too close .

Reactions: souko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.